Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Salt Lake City, UT 818 Build

Post Thanks / Like

Salt Lake City, UT 818 Build

I think I'm the first 818S builder in Salt Lake City, UT? If so, cool! I'm new to car projects so this will definitely be a learning experience. Here's my current plan:

Kit Ordering/Shipping:
    - Ordered 12/16/2013
    - Available @ Factory Five Racing 12/20/2014
    - Picked up by Stewart Transport 1/14/2015
    - Delivered by Stewart Transport 2/7/2015

Donor:
    2006 WRX Limited Wagon
    Here's a link to my donor breakdown thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...275#post188275

Build Plan (Current....who knows where it'll really go!):
    - 818 Street Version (though I'm definitely interested in a possible "SR" build eventually, adding the R front splitter & rear spoiler in the future)
    - "Stock" build for the most part - I'm planning on minimizing performance mods (bigger turbo, bigger wheels, etc.) at this time, unless otherwise stated below.
    - FFR Powder Coated Frame
    - FFR 818 Wiper Kit (we'll see....got it, but will likely drive the finished car for a bit before installing)
    - FFR 818 Aluminum shifter
    - 818 Matt Gunmetal Wheels (17"x7.5" front & 18"x8.5" rear): http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/fact...8-wheels-gray/
    - Tire sizes recommended for the 818 wheels (215/40R17 front & 255/35R18 rear) - currently looking at the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec
    - FFR 818 soft top & sides (for the future!)
    - FFR 818C hardtop (for the future!)
    - Seats: I like the idea of using the leather seats from the donor, but I also like the idea of Sparco Corsa or EVO seats....we'll see!
    - AWIC in place of the TMIC - likely from Very Cool Parts or Zero Decibel Motorsports rather than parting it together myself
    - Zero Decibel Motorsports Front Hood Louvers
    - Zero Decibel Motorsports ABS Delete Plates (with delrin)
    - Zero Decibel Motorsports Coolant Tank Relocation Kit
    - Zero Decibel Motorsports Radiator Supports
    - Zero Decibel Motorsports Rear Fender Brace
    - Zero Decibel Motorsports Turbo Heat Shield

Budget:
    Currently in the ~$32k range, assuming I don't make anything from parting out the donor, including future things like the 818 soft top.

....and so the journey begins!
    Last edited by Ellimist; 02-11-2015 at 02:05 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Post Thanks / Like
    2/7/2015: Highlights from the delivery date! Steve (the driver) was impressive - very personable and took his time to make sure everything was handled carefully and safely.

P1010953.JPG
    P1010983.JPG
    P1010989.JPG
    P1020001.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ellimist; 02-11-2015 at 03:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    2/9/15: Got started on inventorying the kit. Got through Box 3 and Box 5/Wiper Kit in about 3 hours. Only found 3 minor things (1 screw, 2 "U" nuts) missing. Otherwise, everything was packed very well IMO.

Time Lapse:

Box 5/Wiper Kit:
    IMG_20150209_201307 - Copy.jpg
    Box 3:
    IMG_20150209_211025 - Copy.jpg
    The aluminum door pulls were quite fuzzy, but I don't expect it to be a major issue for a deburring tool to make quick work of.
    IMG_20150209_211404 - Copy.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ellimist; 02-11-2015 at 03:01 AM. Reason: fixing time lapse

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you've got plenty of room to build.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats and welcome! Nice view of the Wasatch Front Range; are you in Cottonwood?

P.S. That driveway looks like it could be a pain, especially if you do add a front splitter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Excited! I am sure you are. good for you, you got a red body, that's what I wanted but wasn't sure if FFR was ever going to get there, mine was delivered 1/10/14, white only at that time. My donar was a 2006 wrx limited wagon as well. tearing the subie down I learned a lot. good quality well made car, may even buy one someday as a daily driver. never owned one before I bought the donar.
    Happy building and welcome, there is a plethora of info in these forums, but they tend to slow my building down because of all the great ideas out there.

was out in salt lake in October..... beautiful - hiked to dog lake and drove to Moab hiked and biked....... awesome! that 818 will be a blast to drive through the canyons!!

Welcome,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice start on a fun journey. You're right that the door pulls can easily be finished as you like. Thanks for the wiper kit photo. And, thanks for editing the title of this build thread - at first I saw it as "****", not SL,UT! Tell us about the other cars in your large shop.

Edit: I saw your post in the Donor section so now I now that's your red 06 donor. What's the other car? Did you build it?
    Last edited by AZPete; 02-11-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Looks like you've got plenty of room to build.
    Yes, indeed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Congrats and welcome! Nice view of the Wasatch Front Range; are you in Cottonwood?

P.S. That driveway looks like it could be a pain, especially if you do add a front splitter.
    Close guess - Mill Creek (just north a bit from Cottonwood). About the driveway, ya, I've been keeping tabs on the ground clearance shown in other builds....I admit I'm still worried, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dougkirkbride View Post
    Excited! I am sure you are. good for you, you got a red body, that's what I wanted but wasn't sure if FFR was ever going to get there, mine was delivered 1/10/14, white only at that time. My donar was a 2006 wrx limited wagon as well. tearing the subie down I learned a lot. good quality well made car, may even buy one someday as a daily driver. never owned one before I bought the donar.
    Happy building and welcome, there is a plethora of info in these forums, but they tend to slow my building down because of all the great ideas out there.

was out in salt lake in October..... beautiful - hiked to dog lake and drove to Moab hiked and biked....... awesome! that 818 will be a blast to drive through the canyons!!

Welcome,
    Doug
    Same - my donor was my first subie. I now have a second Subie (2013 WRX sedan) since I liked the donor so much

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Nice start on a fun journey. You're right that the door pulls can easily be finished as you like. Thanks for the wiper kit photo. And, thanks for editing the title of this build thread - at first I saw it as "****", not SL,UT! Tell us about the other cars in your large shop.

Edit: I saw your post in the Donor section so now I now that's your red 06 donor. What's the other car? Did you build it?
    I thought I originally had "SL,UT" in the title. Maybe an admin reviewed/approved it? The other car's a replica of a 1929 Mercedes-Benz SSK built on a 1977 Mustang II chassis - some may remember Classic Motor Carriages (CMC) that built these kits back in '70s & '80s before going bankrupt....The "CMC Gazelle" is an SSK replica much like the FFR roadster is a Shelby Cobra replica. It was built by my uncle for my grandfather, had a short term of use, and then it sat in a backyard (fortunately with a car cover & under a shelter in California weather) for about 10 years, after which I've begun restoring it. Between that and now the 818S build I'm a little overwhelmed at times, but it guarantees I won't be bored, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    I worry about my driveway pretty much every day. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to keep the car in storage or something because I'm almost positive it won't clear. Either that or a easily removable front bumper.
    -Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the welcomes so far! I've been fortunate to have snappy support from FFR regarding missing parts so far - I reported the few missing screws/nuts (gave names and FFR part numbers) and FFR got 'em sent out the same day. I was initially frustrated that it took so long for Stewart Transport to pick up the kit from FFR; however, turns out a major benefit to that delay was all but one of the back-ordered parts were resolved prior to pick up - that's according to the packing list and I haven't inventoried everything, but comforting nonetheless. Also, forgot to mention that one back-order part - the new gas tank - was actually the first part to arrive, beating the rest of the kit by about 25 hours:
    IMG_20150206_124942 - Copy.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally starting. And I see you are a 0DB fan!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    You will be the first 818 built in the valley.
    We have had #81 for a year. Still sitting in the garage waiting. I took on a half built Cobra that has taken over the build garage. I hope to have it out very soon, then I can get started on the 818. I haven't been in a big hurry cause of upgrades coming out. I have always thought the 818 should have roll up windows, and now the wait may have been worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    You will be the first 818 built in the valley.
    We have had #81 for a year. Still sitting in the garage waiting. I took on a half built Cobra that has taken over the build garage. I hope to have it out very soon, then I can get started on the 818. I haven't been in a big hurry cause of upgrades coming out. I have always thought the 818 should have roll up windows, and now the wait may have been worth it.
    Hopefully you at least inventoried it make sure y you have all the parts, right? I'd see that (not realizing something's missing) as the major drawback of waiting, bit as long you've got everything then there's no real rush ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Finally starting. And I see you are a 0DB fan!
    Ya, been over a year in the planning and finally getting started! Been very impressed with 0DB stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, been a while and finished inventorying everything except the aluminum panels, so it's high time I showed more pics & vids!

2/19/15: Continued inventorying the kit. Got through Boxes 4-1, 4-2, & 7. Also, had a look at the FFR 818 wheels and more odds & ends came through the mail: Nameplate & Certificate of Origin, Three ball stud retainers w/ ball studs for the shifter, rear cabin firewall, and revision 1N update.

Time Lapse:

Boxes 4-1 & 4-2:
    IMG_20150219_211309 - Copy_Box4-1+2.jpg

Box 7:
    IMG_20150219_214529 - Copy_Box7.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    2/19/15 (Continued):

Nameplate/Cert of Origin:
    IMG_20150219_190149 - Copy.jpg

Rear cabin firewall, misc. fuel tank stuff, revision 1N update:
    IMG_20150219_192309 - Copy.jpg

Wheels:
    IMG_20150219_215139~2 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20150219_215209 - Copy.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    2/20/15: Got through Box 1, front suspension components.

Time Lapse:

Box 1:
    IMG_20150220_221041_Box1 - Copy.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    3/22/15: Got through Boxes 2, 8A, & 9

Time Lapse:

Box 2:
    IMG_20150322_144813_Box2 - Copy.jpg

Box 8A:
    IMG_20150322_132125_Box8A - Copy.jpg

Box 9:
    IMG_20150322_141356_Box9 - Copy.jpg

Sparkliest for last - Aluminum shifter:
    IMG_20150322_141423 - Copy.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some bonus parts so far - 2 extra right-hand-side radiator top mounts!
    IMG_20150226_204058 - Copy.jpg

Enhancing the garage insulation was a slight detour from the car project, but it's paying off.
    IMG_20150301_195938 - Copy.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    After a lot of thought I've decided to sale the unfinished kit car - for sale thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post514986

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry to hear you're selling. Thats a great deal for someone!
    Factory Five 818c #456

Post Thanks / Like
    That seems like a great deal. Wish you were closer to Massachusetts. I finished this fall another partial built kit and would try another except for shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sale currently in progress. Will remove this post if it doesn't go through for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I have a buddy who lives in Colorado who just called me to ask me to ping you about this kit. He registered to the Forum a couple of days ago and is waiting on a reply to to be able to post by himself. So, if this sale doesn't go through could you please reply back and I'll let him know. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sale went through so it's no longer available. Went to a great guy named Dean in West Bountiful, UT!