Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  55

Thread: Zach's 818R Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Zach's 818R Build Thread

Production date was 11/8/2014. Since then I've had the donor tear-down, the holidays, and a competing project on a motorcycle delaying getting started on the car.

Kit options:
    - 818R
    - Bare frame
    - Front race splitter
    - Street windshield
    - Door ducts
    - 6-speed transaxle kit
    - Wilwood pedal box
    - Front canards

Donor: 2005 WRX STi, 135,000 miles, totaled due to interior fire resulting from theft

I built a Mk II Roadster way back in 2003 and got as far as doing a couple track days with it before realizing I wanted something more track-dedicated. I'm using my small amount of experience with the Roadster to form my plan for the car:

Engine: Relatively stock STi motor, rebuilt and upgraded with reliability in mind (dry sump, etc.). I know nothing about turbos and these motors, so got a lot to learn...
    Trans: Rebuilt 6-speed from the STi, possibly with different gear ratios (I may change my mind and go for a 5-speed, still researching...)
    Aero: Custom APR wing (likely the GT250 sized to my spec vice the GTC250 offered by FFR), plus the options above.

The build will basically be done in two phases. Phase 1 will be mock-up and test-fit, which is why I got the frame uncoated. The main focus here is modifying whatever I need to to make sure I fit in the car the best I can. I'm 6'3" with most of my height in my legs. The Roadster's legroom was a constant annoyance and there will be no holds barred when it comes to cutting and welding on the 818R frame to get the fit right. I will also modify what I need to for the transmission and mock up the rear/side body panels to fabricate a wing support. Phase 2 will commence with getting the frame powdercoated. Hopefully it will be mostly a matter of assembly from there.

Some pictures from the pick-up back in November are below. Very exciting to see the factory. It was the weekend they were getting back from SEMA, so I missed out seeing the Gray (old Red) car, but the Blue car was there. The pictures just don't do it justice. These cars in full race trim look incredible.

Here's a few pictures of the pick-up. Loooong drive from Norfolk.

20141110_094156.jpg20141110_100017.jpg20141110_215654.jpg
    Last edited by Zach34; 01-08-2017 at 01:50 AM.