Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Graduate MKIV #7693

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpt112 View Post
    Hello Kevin,

My name is Kevin as well and I am really new here to the forum site. First of all your car is spectacular! I hope my car turns out 1/2 as well as yours did. I did have a question regarding the gear shift location. On most cars I see this long shifter with the point where it enters the gear box behind the drivers knee. How did you get your shifter up further? I am guessing it is a factor from the transmission you purchased and where the motor is mounted. I would like mine to be closer to the drivers knee rather than back further. I plan on using a Tremec HD T-5 transmission which seems to be a really popular trans. Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Kevin

See an example below.

Attachment 38542
    I am using a TKO-600 and got a little creative with the provided shifter instead of removing it and replacing it with a mid-shifter. The mid-shifters are expensive and move the stick forward about 6-7 inches. The stock TKO-600 shifter can be reversed (see picture below) which moves the shifter forward about 2 3/4". I then bought a shift stick from Forte's for a 1999-2004 Mustang GT which is a 5" tall 2 1/2" dogleg shifter. On a Mustang the dogleg moves the shift ball toward the driver - I reversed it to move it away from the driver. After a mock-up I wanted to move the shifter forward about one more inch. I had a friend of mine machine a billet aluminum bracket to move the stick forward that one last inch to make it perfect. It turns out that the Coyote is also about 1" further forward in the chassis than 302 or 351 based engines so you put all them together and you get a mid-shifter without buying and installing a mid-shifter.

IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    01cbdae8fb1f933123e3658bbc8dd3dc9e73f177b7.jpg

If you are going to use a T5Z, you may not have the ability to do this and may have to go to a mid-shifter for a T5Z to move the shift point toward the front of the car.

Kevin
    Last edited by bansheekev; 02-08-2015 at 07:33 PM.
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great idea Kevin. Thanks! I think this is the first time I read a thread that didn't cost money but saved a few bucks

I was going to order a TKO600 with mid-shifter but looking at your picture, I think this is a perfect solution.

Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    I am using a TKO-600 and got a little creative with the provided shifter instead of removing it and replacing it with a mid-shifter. The mid-shifters are expensive and move the stick forward about 6-7 inches. The stock TKO-600 shifter can be reversed (see picture below) which moves the shifter forward about 2 3/4". I then bought a shift stick from Forte's for a 1999-2004 Mustang GT which is a 5" tall 2 1/2" dogleg shifter. On a Mustang the dogleg moves the shift ball toward the driver - I reversed it to move it away from the driver. After a mock-up I wanted to move the shifter forward about one more inch. I had a friend of mine machine a billet aluminum bracket to move the stick forward that one last inch to make it perfect. It turns out that the Coyote is also about 1" further forward in the chassis than 302 or 351 based engines so you put all them together and you get a mid-shifter without buying and installing a mid-shifter.

IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    01cbdae8fb1f933123e3658bbc8dd3dc9e73f177b7.jpg

If you are going to use a T5Z, you may not have the ability to do this and may have to go to a mid-shifter for a T5Z to move the shift point toward the front of the car.

Kevin
    MKIV complete kit #8523, IRS, Coyote Engine, TKO 600, 3.55 rear end, PS, and a whole lot more! Graduated in May 2021.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by soaringDude View Post
    This is a great idea Kevin. Thanks! I think this is the first time I read a thread that didn't cost money but saved a few bucks

I was going to order a TKO600 with mid-shifter but looking at your picture, I think this is a perfect solution.
    Hot rodding at its best... Mix and match parts to find creative solutions without breaking the bank.

Kevin
    Last edited by bansheekev; 02-10-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Fabulous looking build! I'm really starting to regret my sbf engine choice after seeing your Coyote...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpt112 View Post
    Hello Kevin,

My name is Kevin as well and I am really new here to the forum site. First of all your car is spectacular! I hope my car turns out 1/2 as well as yours did. I did have a question regarding the gear shift location. On most cars I see this long shifter with the point where it enters the gear box behind the drivers knee. How did you get your shifter up further? I am guessing it is a factor from the transmission you purchased and where the motor is mounted. I would like mine to be closer to the drivers knee rather than back further. I plan on using a Tremec HD T-5 transmission which seems to be a really popular trans. Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Kevin

See an example below.

Attachment 38542

Thanks for the advice, just ordered my kit today! Can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a fantastic thread. What a fantastic job. I can only dream that my build will come close to this. Bravo, my friend.
    FFR #8214 -2nd gen Coyote-Wilwood setup-Hydroboost-17" Halibrand-3 Link-TKO600

2003 Mercury Marauder Vortech V2 T-Trim 518rwhp 11.70 @ 121mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FormulaGod View Post
    What a fantastic thread. What a fantastic job. I can only dream that my build will come close to this. Bravo, my friend.
    Uhhh, 518rwhp Marauder? That sounds interesting...
    Last edited by bansheekev; 02-12-2015 at 01:22 AM.
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kev, can you pls advise how you installed your fuel pump and fuel sender removeable panels. Realise you probably used rivnuts, but did you just cut out the carpet slightly smaller and use the carpet edge to provide the seal through the trunk floor, or is there something else? I'm doing my trunk carpet now and like the way you did this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by geebang View Post
    Hi Kev, can you pls advise how you installed your fuel pump and fuel sender removeable panels. Realise you probably used rivnuts, but did you just cut out the carpet slightly smaller and use the carpet edge to provide the seal through the trunk floor, or is there something else? I'm doing my trunk carpet now and like the way you did this.
    Exactly as you describe. Rivnuts in the floor aluminum and sandwich the carpet between the trunk aluminum and access cover. I trimmed the carpet with small 'V' cuts about the rivnuts.

Kevin
    Last edited by bansheekev; 02-16-2015 at 03:16 PM.
    Graduation Thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12