Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanderson1's build thread..

Post Thanks / Like

Tanderson1's build thread..

OK may be a little early as I just ordered the GTM kit today but the donor parts are here so i have some cleanup and prep that i can start documenting.

A few weeks ago the donor looked like this
    $_20.JPG$_28.JPG

Everything has now been taken apart and it now looks like this.
    IMG_1151.JPGIMG_1152.JPGIMG_1153.JPGIMG_1154.JPGIMG_1155.JPGIMG_1156.JPGIMG_1156.JPGIMG_1157.JPGIMG_1158.JPG

continued in next post.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a really clean looking donor. It's almost sad to see it pulled apart. Does it have a dark secret on the other side?

That said, off to a good start, and keep the pictures coming. The best build threads are usually loaded with pictures. Good luck with your build!

Post Thanks / Like
    So the Plan..... (im in Canada, so things cost a little more up here, sorry about the formatting, the forum kills my column alignment)

GTM
    Expected Parts list. (based on exchange rate of $1.163 USD = $1 CAD)

Item USD CAD
    Base Kit $22,999 USD $26,747.84 CAD
    Donor Car $11,500.00 CAD (After shipping etc)
    Transmission $9,500 USD $11,048.50 CAD
    Rear Wing $1,350 USD $1,570.05 CAD
    Wing Mounts $489 USD $568.71 CAD
    Rims FFR $1,650 USD $1918.95 CAD
    Tires Front $508 USD $590.81 CAD
    Tires Rear $698 USD $811.78 CAD
    Canadian GTM Kit $1,995.00 CAD
    AirCond $1,350 USD $1,570.05 CAD
    Cold Air Intake $399 USD $464.04 CAD
    Splitter $499 USD $580.34 CAD
    Rocker Extensions $499 USD $580.34 CAD
    Roof Scoop $199 USD $231.44 CAD
    Fender Louvers $199 USD $231.44 CAD
    Telescoping Steering Adapter $156 USD $181.43 CAD
    Adjustable Rod Ends $199 USD $231.44 CAD
    Kit Shipping $900 USD $1046.70 CAD
    Aluminum Gas Tanks $895 USD $1040.89 CAD
    Side Scoops ????
    Rear Louvers ????
    Sway Bar $659 USD $766.42 CAD
    Kooks Exhaust $2,083 USD $2,422.53 CAD
    Coolant Tank $200 USD $232.60 CAD
    Traction control $2,112.79 USD $2,457.18 CAD
    5 point bracket $275 USD $319.83 CAD
    5 Point Seatbelts $240 USD $279.12 CAD
    Fuel Regulator $171 USD $198.88 CAD
    Fuel Pump $369 USD $429.15 CAD
    Fuel Filter $115 USD $133.75 CAD
    Fog Light Brackets $37 USD $43.04 CAD
    Porche CV Joints ?????

Total Cost $70,139.64 CAD $73,646.63 CAD W/TAX

All usa parts are being delivered to http://www.attheborderstorage.com I will then drive down to the US and pick the parts up with my flat deck. Saves me some $$$ on having crates made.
    Last edited by tanderson1; 01-12-2015 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    That's a really clean looking donor. It's almost sad to see it pulled apart. Does it have a dark secret on the other side?

That said, off to a good start, and keep the pictures coming. The best build threads are usually loaded with pictures. Good luck with your build!
    Donor was written off (non repairable). It was in a flood. Runs great, i think only the trunk section was under water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. Your list of parts will result in a great car.

Looking forward to watching you have fun.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking this for rubber (I don't plan on driving this except in perfect weather)

Proxes R888
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R888&tab=Sizes

Size: 245/40ZR18
    Size: 335/30ZR18

Transmission will be the Mendeola

Rear wing from here
    http://vraptorspeedworks.com/apr-gtc...ber-rear-wing/
    http://vraptorspeedworks.com/vrsw-ne...-mount-system/

gas tanks from here
    http://www.fueltankparts.com/aluminu...ory-5-gtm.html

I need a pair of these (yet to find)
    http://vraptorspeedworks.com/custom-...dy-vents-pair/

sway bar
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...able-for-order

exhaust
    http://vraptorspeedworks.com/complet...xhaust-system/

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like an awesome plan for your build - congrats and good luck! You will find that the people on the forums will be behind you all the way and are great help. Amazing group of people here.

Get in touch with Shane at Vraptor early and often - most experienced builder and as you have already figured out he has created some great parts!!!

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    All the donor parts are now safely in my garage. My engine hoist isnt here yet so i had to think of a way to get the engine out of the crate and into my garage. I cheated a little using the car ramps and the quad winch but it all worked out great.

IMG_0261.JPGIMG_0262.JPGIMG_0263.JPG

Here is what my garage space looks like. I have some mess to clean up. Believe it or not this is after 2 loads to the dump and about 12 hours of tool sorting. TV on the wall is so i can watch TopGear while i work. I have been trying to talk myself into a 2 post portable lift. They are pretty cheap shipped to my door. Being able to move the car up and down may make the job a little easier.

IMG_0264.JPGIMG_0265.JPGIMG_0266.JPGIMG_0267.JPGIMG_0268.JPGIMG_0269.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tanderson1 View Post

Here is what my garage space looks like. I have some mess to clean up. Believe it or not this is after 2 loads to the dump and about 12 hours of tool sorting. TV on the wall is so i can watch TopGear while i work. I have been trying to talk myself into a 2 post portable lift. They are pretty cheap shipped to my door. Being able to move the car up and down may make the job a little easier.

IMG_0268.JPG
    Looks like you're getting it well sorted, but I am afraid that you are going to get quite tired of Jeremy Clarkson by the time you've finished your build. Throw in some Formula 1, Nascar, Chip Foose, or 3-Girls Garage... But don't subject yourself to Clarkson for such an extended period of time.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Right on, a new build. I look at your garage and think, your about to spend alot of time in there.

I hope you don't mind us pointing out potential mistakes, others have saved me. For instance, I wish I would have taken better care of the exaust ports of my engine.
    The open valves ended up trying to rust over the time of the build, I had to rebuild anyway, I would dusch with WD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Looks like you're getting it well sorted, but I am afraid that you are going to get quite tired of Jeremy Clarkson by the time you've finished your build. Throw in some Formula 1, Nascar, Chip Foose, or 3-Girls Garage... But don't subject yourself to Clarkson for such an extended period of time.
    ^^^^ sooooo true.

Post where you live, lots of helping hands in this community....I have been on both side of that river. Looking froward to watching your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    Right on, a new build. I look at your garage and think, your about to spend alot of time in there.

I hope you don't mind us pointing out potential mistakes, others have saved me. For instance, I wish I would have taken better care of the exaust ports of my engine.
    The open valves ended up trying to rust over the time of the build, I had to rebuild anyway, I would dusch with WD.
    Please point out everything that I am doing wrong. I have done engine swaps before but this is definitely new territory for me. If you see me following the manual and there is a better way let me know :-)

I never thought of how long that engine needs to sit. I can shoot some "Sea Foam" into the exhaust ports, spark plug holes, intake, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    ^^^^ sooooo true.

Post where you live, lots of helping hands in this community....I have been on both side of that river. Looking froward to watching your build.
    I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Edgeman lives about 3 hours from me.... so far he is the closest i have found.
    (which reminds me i need to call him to figure out how to get all the customs paperwork in order)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    good advice... never heard of girls garage, found a show called all-girls-garage... trying to find a download now. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Just sent an email to http://www.whitbymotorsports.com

I think i will buy the Canadian GTM parts kit from them, its $55 cheaper from them. Has anyone dealt with Whitby before?

Waiting on a shipping quote now.
    http://www.whitbymotorsports.com/USe...p?serviceid=15

Going to head to Canadian Tire tonight to pick up some brushes, steel wool, cleaning chemicals, sea foam etc so i can start cleaning up all the parts that arrived.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please point out everything that I am doing wrong. I have done engine swaps before but this is definitely new territory for me. If you see me following the manual and there is a better way let me know :-)
    Welcome to the madness you will have fun, hair pulling, adult beverage usage before you done

Point out everything that your doing wrong, well remember you asked for it.
    1. You forgot to add the forum members here to your Gold card, we can tell you how to put it through it's paces
    2. The manual is not a step by step how to guide, but use it as strong suggestions

Kidding aside Welcome to the Forum

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like

(which reminds me i need to call him to figure out how to get all the customs paperwork in order)
    Oh by the way watch out for that guy, Taz Rules, his jokes will leave you wondering. Maybe he's to far away from you but still, don't take any chances that he won't show up

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ron! That's not nice!

That said, he's probably right. I'm a 6 hour drive away, but I have family there, so its not unheard of for me to show up around those parts. I'm helping a friend in BC with his bodywork. (GTM 283..there's a thread)

Welcome to the madness!!!!!
    I love your build plan. There is a famous quote by 19th century German military strategist Helmuth von Moltke. "No battle plan," he sagely noted, "survives contact with the enemy."
    The plan is good, and very necessary. All I'm saying is be prepared!
    Oh, and you WILL be adding to that parts wish-list!!!!!!

At the risk of being a shameless self promoter, if you want any photoshop work done to see how different colours would work, or to visualize a body mod, let me know. Also, if you need any inspirational artwork or posters.
    I'm set up as a vendor on this site.

My website is www.phoenixartdesign.weebly.com
    Phoenix-Logo-Wide.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, give me a call.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    So yesterday I didn't get a lot done. Tuesday is the day i play Taxi to the children. I did have a chance to pickup some degreaser (several brands to see what works best) and SeaFoam to prevent rust in the engine.

Hope to sit down tonight and clean a few parts.

I did hear back from Whitby Motorsports, they should have a quote in my hands pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Yes, give me a call.
    I will give you a call tonight, 6PM or so if thats ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    1 hour 40 minutes on the phone with Edgeman and i have a new list of todo's....

Its great to talk to someone that has already had to deal with the difficulties of importing a kit and getting it registered.

after hearing what it cost to order and ship the "Canadian GTM" kit I am considering sourcing the parts from local auto parts companies. I can then get aftermarket shocks.... something to run the numbers on anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Rules View Post
    Hey Ron! That's not nice!

That said, he's probably right. I'm a 6 hour drive away, but I have family there, so its not unheard of for me to show up around those parts. I'm helping a friend in BC with his bodywork. (GTM 283..there's a thread)

Welcome to the madness!!!!!
    I love your build plan. There is a famous quote by 19th century German military strategist Helmuth von Moltke. "No battle plan," he sagely noted, "survives contact with the enemy."
    The plan is good, and very necessary. All I'm saying is be prepared!
    Oh, and you WILL be adding to that parts wish-list!!!!!!

At the risk of being a shameless self promoter, if you want any photoshop work done to see how different colours would work, or to visualize a body mod, let me know. Also, if you need any inspirational artwork or posters.
    I'm set up as a vendor on this site.

My website is www.phoenixartdesign.weebly.com
    Phoenix-Logo-Wide.jpg
    Thanks Taz, I checked out your site, art looks amazing.. tempted to get a poster of my car done up when i'm done... lets see if i get done first :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know of a set of 5 point seat belts that are street legal in Canada?
    Edgeman said there is a set with a red button on them but my google-fu is failing me.

I need to pass an inspection with just 5 point seat belts (no corvette belts)

I also need a yellow reflector that lights up on the side of the vehicle so i am looking for ways to make that do not look horrible. I was thinking about grafting in some tail lights that wrap around the back edges so they are visible from the side.

or maybe a thin line like Edgeman has on his GTM like this
    images.jpg

while looking for tail light photos via google i found this... while i dont like the tail lights I dont mind the headlights.
    2003_lexus_gs430_tail_lights_b1084.jpg

Got everything together today to wiretransfer FF the money, saved alot of money because of their winter sale, and also ordered the rubber from Tire Rack. I was told by Factory Five that a kit could be delivered as fast as 5 weeks from tomorrow.... I cant wait.
    Last edited by tanderson1; 01-15-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is probably the Schroth Profi II-FE asm. It has a red button release. This is the one I use over here in Austria.

Does anyone know of a set of 5 point seat belts that are street legal in Canada?
    Edgeman said there is a set with a red button on them but my google-fu is failing me.
    GTM #006 (early beta)
    On the road in Austria/Europe
    LS-7 with Kooks / G50 / Pfadt Bushings
    Bilstein shocks, C6 ZO6 brakes with DBA rotors
    Lightweight build (2.336 lbs ready to drive)

Post Thanks / Like

while looking for tail light photos via google i found this... while i dont like the tail lights I dont mind the headlights.
    2003_lexus_gs430_tail_lights_b1084.jpg
    Were there tail lights in the photo?

Good luck on your build and I am looking forward to seeing your progress
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do a ton of research before you start. Like already stated, the build manual is not thorough, or even correct in some aspects. There's a lot of info on ff.cars forum about the GTM. Check out the 64k questions. You'll have a ton of support from other builders on both forums. Good luck with the build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Lukn4Trbl's tail lights
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Thread!/page15
    Good images in post 594

Real nice, clean modification.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eseethal View Post
    This is probably the Schroth Profi II-FE asm. It has a red button release. This is the one I use over here in Austria.
    Yes those are the ones.
    http://www.jegs.com/p/Schroth-Racing...77103/10002/-1
    Also do a search for Brian486 (from Edmonton) on FFcars, its his car on Shane's web site with the back louvers.
    Mikespms - is where I got the seat belt brackets and the wing came from Thomas#142 also on the other forum.
    Last edited by Edgeman; 01-16-2015 at 12:33 PM.
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    Do a ton of research before you start. Like already stated, the build manual is not thorough, or even correct in some aspects. There's a lot of info on ff.cars forum about the GTM. Check out the 64k questions. You'll have a ton of support from other builders on both forums. Good luck with the build!
    my wife is already getting mad at me :-) I spend 3-4 hours a night reading build threads, watching you tube videos and re-reading the manual. I have also been reading the other forum and a few external build websites like Edgemans.

No doubt going to have some questions but trying to do as much research as i can. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz Rules View Post
    Check out Lukn4Trbl's tail lights
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Thread!/page15
    Good images in post 594

Real nice, clean modification.
    thats exactly what i was thinking. I think the lights have to have yellow on them, i will go read the Transport Canada website again.
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicle...04-faq-689.htm

For those in Canada you will see that there are some STUPID laws in Canada that we are supposed to follow.

"Q. 11. The system requires a car kit (starter kit) hobbyist to get parts to complete the car in Canada. Is it legal to buy parts in Canada that have been imported, such as parts from a dealer's parts counter?

A. A hobby builder may NOT import, or have a third party import the parts needed to complete the car. These parts must be bought from a source in Canada not linked to the kit manufacturer."

So i technically have to buy the transmission from Canada or they can deport my car.... I don't think anyone in Canada sells a mendeola. Or side vents, or AC bypass parts, or rear wing mounts... etc.

Some laws I will follow, others i may have to step around.

although the penalty is $20K and 2 years in jail
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...8.html#docCont

"
    Offence and punishment

(2) Every individual who contravenes this Act, the regulations or an order

(a) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and is liable to a fine of not more than $4,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both; or

(b) is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to a fine of not more than $20,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than two years, or to both.
    "
    Last edited by tanderson1; 01-16-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So today started off with a quick trip to the dump, a little more room to move around in the garage now but i could stand to take another trip.

After i got back the kids and i hit the garage to start cleaning suspension parts. A little heat (blow torch), a 4 foot breaker bar, 2 impact guns and a few wrenches and its 80% apart. I know i own a pickle fork but for the life of me I cant find it. A few of the more stubborn arms wouldn't come out with the dead-blow hammer. Tomorrow I will pick up a new pickle fork and a 34mm socket to get these axel nuts off.

Once apart i filled a large Rubbermaid container with degreaser and warm water and put the kids to work. Nothing like a little child labor to start the afternoon. 4 hours of scrubbing with SOS pads and a wire brush resulted in 4 A arms that look like new.

Now I know some people paint these after cleaning them, but why?
    After using the wire brush they look like new.
    Does paint clean easier in the future?
    seems like it might just flake off, rock chips and then look worse.

Tomorrow will be more of the same, lots of arms and spindles to clean.

I was also reading about using a 12 volt battery charger, some re-bar and a few chemicals to remove rust from parts. I was considering putting the wheel bearing assemblies in that solution to remove the surface rust. I could then throw a coat of black paint on those to prevent future rust.
    http://makezine.com/projects/electrolysis-rust-remover/

Pictures or it didn't happen :-)
    IMG_0281.JPGIMG_0282.JPGIMG_0283.JPGIMG_0284.JPGIMG_0285.JPGIMG_0286.JPGIMG_0288.JPGIMG_0289.JPGIMG_0290.JPGIMG_0291.JPG

All of the rubber and seals look good except for the ones on the calipers and the one on the rods for the rear suspension. Looks like i might have to replace those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I know some people paint these after cleaning them, but why?
    After using the wire brush they look like new.
    Does paint clean easier in the future?
    seems like it might just flake off, rock chips and then look worse.

Some use a clear coat to keep them looking like new. If you leave them in their natural finish they will return to the look that you just worked hard to get rid of

I was also reading about using a 12 volt battery charger, some re-bar and a few chemicals to remove rust from parts. I was considering putting the wheel bearing assemblies in that solution to remove the surface rust. I could then throw a coat of black paint on those to prevent future rust.

http://makezine.com/projects/electrolysis-rust-remover/QUOTE]

I would use and have used products like Metal Rescue, which is a rust remover bath. A lot easier

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had to do mine over, I would just use a clear on them no paint. The paint looks fake just my opinion. You really don't see them until you take the wheels off.
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Presto, I will see if they sell Metal Rescue at Canadian Tire.

If I had to do mine over, I would just use a clear on them no paint. The paint looks fake just my opinion. You really don't see them until you take the wheels off.
    I have looked at a lot of photos and agree with the "fake" comment. If i was going to paint them it would be black, not trying to make it look like metal again. I love your idea of spraying with coats of clear. That's what i will do.

I bought a pickle fork/34mm socket/paint/clear/primer and more degreaser today. Axels came off way easier then i thought they would with the air impact. I was able to remove all of the a arms with the pickle fork and was able to clean the next set of suspension.

There are a few rubber dust covers that have been damaged over the life of the vette, does anyone know where i can order these. I went to Canadian Tire and Napa, both came up empty. Is the dealership the only option? can i order just a set of dust covers and grease?

Pictures
    IMG_0296.JPGIMG_0297.JPGIMG_0298.JPGIMG_0299.JPG

I picked up red and black brake paint, main caliper will be red, bottom caliper pieces will be black.

I also went to Napa to pick up new pads/rotors.... $600 seems steep. When i can get this from Amazon for $250
    http://www.amazon.com/1997-CHEVROLET.../dp/B00C82TILU

I also was surfing the web last night and found this picture
    gtmmotor.jpg
    and went out right away to buy mat orange engine paint. Going to paint some scrap metal to see if it looks good. If it doesn't work out i bought black crinkle engine paint as well which i can use on the valve covers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to order them from corvette depot, I think they came with the e brake pads. The other photo is the rear stabilizer or rear suspension adjuster outer end kit.
    http://www.corvettedepot.ca/index.ph...Path=30_79_576
    http://www.corvettedepot.ca/index.ph...ducts_id=12721
    http://www.corvettedepot.ca/index.ph...ort=20a&page=5
    Lots of parts at corvette depot that you will need, a lot cheaper than your Chevy dealer.
    Last edited by Edgeman; 01-18-2015 at 05:05 PM.
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to order them from corvette depot, I think they came with the e brake pads. The other photo is the rear stabilizer or rear suspension adjuster outer end kit.
    http://www.corvettedepot.ca/index.ph...Path=30_79_576
    http://www.corvettedepot.ca/index.ph...ducts_id=12721
    http://www.corvettedepot.ca/index.ph...ort=20a&page=5
    Lots of parts at corvette depot that you will need, a lot cheaper than your Chevy dealer.
    wow for 2 small parking brake rubber gaskets i have to pay $252.88. The rest of the assembly looks great.

I found this cheap solution... although its not the best.
    http://s258.photobucket.com/user/old...CCCAS.jpg.html

I will try calling Chevy tomorrow, fingers crossed that they sell them alone.

for the rear suspension adjustment it looks like i can just buy the boot for $29.12
    http://www.corvettedepot.ca/index.ph...ducts_id=12716

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by tanderson1; 01-18-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast