FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk 4 Trunk fit

Post Thanks / Like

Mk 4 Trunk fit

I'm having a time getting a good fit with my Mk 4 trunk. It fits well with the upper rear body and sides. When you adjust it to fit the curve along the tail lights it is pulled in on the lower rear body. I have the standard length rear quick jack spacers on it now. I made a shorter set trying to pull in the rear body but it seems a little extreme for that. Any ideas to try?
    I'm starting to think my trunk may be warped for some reason. It was stored in my basement for a year with no stress or weight on it in cool temps. Could it have been released from the assembly fixture and changed shape?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 3kcarbon; 04-26-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carbon,
    While we wait to see what FFR says I will tell you that the valance to trunklid intersection on my Mk3 was off every bit that much. The Mk4 was off as well, however by a bit less than what yours appears to be. In both cases I was able to bring them into alignment by adjusting the quickjack spacer AND trunk latch pin lengths.

Good luck,
    Jeff (Fan wiring Poobah)

Post Thanks / Like
    also
    install the trunk seal ( came with the kit ) this will space it out.
    If you need more than that there are some rubber bumpers ( in the kit ) to help align panels.
    I hope this helps
    Later
    Mark D
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark makes a good point. When I commented above I assumed that you already had it installed but if not do so because it definitely changes things.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    What Mark said, the bulb seal might not be enough, on mine I will have a couple rubber bumpers at the bottom and along the top deck edge in the hinge area to make it right. The bumpers on the bottom will also help with a more positive latch as the trunk won't be able to move around as much.

-Scott
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I did remove and reinstall the body to try the bulb seal. The seal on the lower trunk floor is working against me. If I pull in on the quick jacks it totally pounds the lower bulb seal. I hate to monkey up the body if the trunk is at fault. We have had the same issue on aircraft cowl doors being curved too much and had to make relief cuts in the inner panel and rebond it to the correct curve. Don't really want to do that but it may be the most correct fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3kcarbon View Post
    We have had the same issue on aircraft cowl doors being curved too much and had to make relief cuts in the inner panel and rebond it to the correct curve. Don't really want to do that but it may be the most correct fix.
    NO, you wont have to do that. My Mrk III was worse than that, but the quick jack bolts, and rubber seal makes it fit well. No way should you need to be cutting on the lid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Good luck,
    Jeff (Fan wiring Poobah)
    Jeff use your full title.... Grand Poobah of Fan Wiring. If ya got it flaunt it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the bulb seal on the aluminum, but around the trunk opening, right?

And you may need more then just bulb seal, there are also a bunch of round rubber bumpers in two sizes that come with the kit, you may need them. On the bottom lip, you may also need to have the latch in place. On mine its the bumper holding the trunk out flush with the body, and the latch holding it down tight that gets it where it needs to be. When closing it you almost pull back on the trunk as you close it, and then latch.

_Scott
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    Not the bulb seal on the aluminum, but around the trunk opening, right?

And you may need more then just bulb seal, there are also a bunch of round rubber bumpers in two sizes that come with the kit, you may need them. On the bottom lip, you may also need to have the latch in place. On mine its the bumper holding the trunk out flush with the body, and the latch holding it down tight that gets it where it needs to be. When closing it you almost pull back on the trunk as you close it, and then latch.

_Scott
    Yes the lower floor seal gets pounded into nothing when I use shorter than standard QJ sleeves to pull in the rear body. It looks like its a bad fit for everybody not just me. FFR has not replied which tells me something.... I understand it has to be made to fit since it won't fit any other way. I guess thats the long and short of it. So far nobody has posted they didn't have any issue at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still of the opinion that most if not all of it can be made up by pulling the lower valance in with the QJs and trunk latch pin. How about pulling the bulb seal off of the rear lip of the trunk floor and trying it without to see if you can get there? If so trim the lip enough to accomodate reinstalling the bulb seal. Thinking about it now, I noticed when putting the Mk4 body on recently that it is a tighter fit along that lip than it is on my Mk3 which barely compresses the bulb.

Jeff (G.P.O.F.W.)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still of the opinion that most if not all of it can be made up by pulling the lower valance in with the QJs and trunk latch pin. How about pulling the bulb seal off of the rear lip of the trunk floor and trying it without to see if you can get there? If so trim the lip enough to accomodate reinstalling the bulb seal. Thinking about it now, I noticed when putting the Mk4 body on recently that it is a tighter fit along that lip than it is on my Mk3 which barely compresses the bulb.

Jeff (G.P.O.F.W.)
    You are correct as usual O Grand Poobah of Trunk Alignment.
    Foolish me I expected the trunk to fit and align without a fight...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3kcarbon View Post
    Foolish me I expected the trunk to fit and align without a fight...
    Ah, naïvety
    Have you hung the doors yet?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    With first hand and onsite observations, IMHO it should be GPFFRB.
    Grand Poobah Factory Five Roadster Builder
    Build Website
    Mk4 7276 Complete Kit; Delivered; June 28, 2010; Roller: November 30, 2010
    First Start: December 11, 2010; First Go-Kart: January 2, 2011
    Ford Racing 306 crate; Carb; Trans: T-5Z; 3-Link; Traction Lock rear end; 3.55; 15" Halibrand; PS/PB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy14 View Post
    With first hand and onsite observations, IMHO it should be GPFFRB.
    Grand Poobah Factory Five Roadster Builder
    Hmmm that would make a rather nice subject for a forum poll. We can get him a official title ordained by the membership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, naïvety
    Have you hung the doors yet?

Jeff
    I'm waiting on installing the windshield before even thinking about that. Maybe this weekend. I've been fussing with the hood last couple of nights. If I can get the hood fit up perhaps the trunk will get jealous and snap in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd really like to have "exalted" included in my title, assuming 3kcarbon (Noble Bestower of Forum Honorifics) approves.

BTW, Re; door fitting: I think you already know this but install the front splash panels before fussing with the doors. I cut slots in the rolled under portion of the rocker panels and tapped the bottom of the outer square tubing for fasteners---makes it quick and easy to adjust the lower body in or out to meet the bottom of the door. It's one of the nice Mk4 improvements; the earlier cars had to have shims added/subtracted for adjustment which was a bit of a pain.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd really like to have "exalted" included in my title, assuming 3kcarbon (Noble Bestower of Forum Honorifics) approves.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    OK Jeff its up at the other place for the vote since thats where most of your helpfull posts have been.