BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New member from Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Question New member from Canada

I just joined your forum. I am a Canadian who has been transferred to the Chicago area for the next 3 years. I have always enjoyed working on cars, and over the years have re built and worked on my own cars. I recently blew up my 5.7 hemi engine in a 2006 Charger. They wanted a fortune to rebuild it, so I took a chance, put in in my garage, removed the front end body, and pulled out the motor and transmission, along with everything else inside the engine compartment. I then took the motor to Grand Rapids Michigan and had them re build it. In the process I cleaned, painted and detailed the entire engine compartment and all the miscellaneous parts to make it look new. I put the motor back in hooked up all the parts, wiring etc. and it started first time and I have put 5000 miles on it with no issues whatsoever. I am seriously considering building a 33 Ford kit car, have researched it and would like feed back from the forum if you think I am over my head attempting it. I was told it is best to purchase a Mustang donor car, but based on what I see comes with the kit, is it the way to go, or should I just source a motor (crate or re built) a transmission and rear end and go from there. I have the tools, a garage car hoist etc. What I am not good at is wiring, welding and re building the internals of an engine. I am going into this as a long term project and based on what is said everything comes with it but motor transmission, rear end, rear brakes and battery. I am sure there is hidden parts needed and assume that is why it is suggested to get a donor car for item such as a/c compressor, alternator etc. I have a ton more questions but if anyone has any comments I would appreciate it and expand further.
    Thanks for letting me join this forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Bill:
    I'm a Canadian now naturalized US citizen since 1997, I came from the industry, I was on the bench at a GM then Ford dealership until I got bit by the motorcycle bug and was a dealer for 23 years. So I'm a gearhead, I built 3 cars from the ground up as hobby, 53 Olds, 52 Chev Coupe with 302/350 hp and a '78 Corvette conversion from an L82 to an LS7. I'm currently building a 33 with a Coyote and AODE trans. I'm 10 months into it and just now have it running. Body mounting is next, paint etc. I have done no welding, I used all new or rebuilt parts so no donor items. Due to the electronics on the engine and transmission I'm meshing 3 wiring harnesses, it isn't that difficult. The engine is tough due to its size and squeeze fit everywhere, I would say a mechanical engine/trans like a 302 or similar would be quite easy for you. The manual is quite detailed and the combo of this forum and the FFR tech support I think you would enjoy the trip, I'm not going to do the paint and maybe not all the body prep. The donor car would offer some parts but if you want the least cleaning and fixing the crate motor idea is a great alternative. I got tired of rust, dust and painting old parts, in terms of time, I think it will chew up 2 years for me to get completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. You have all of the skills needed to finish your build. Most builders these days go the route of non-donor and just source the drivetrain parts.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.Roger

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness!!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.