Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

New Build Thread

I received my 818R kit the end of May 2014, I have been so busy in my construction business I have not had very much time to work on the build. I have been very active on reading all the posts in the forums. I want to thank everyone for all the tips, shortcuts and the right and wrong way to assemble the 818R.

First thing I did was purchase a pair of Sparco EVO seats and set them in the car to see how they fit. I am 6'3" and my son is 6'6" and realized that I did not have near enough leg room to drive the car. I needed to move the driver seat back to the rear firewall and instantly knew the supplied fuel tank had to go. I bought a DEI fuel cell and it allowed me to move the driver seat all the way back. After seeing other 818R builds, I decided I needed a drivers full containment seat if I wanted to race the car. New seat was about 2 1/2 inches wider then the EVO. I cut 6" off the end of the fuel cell, re-powder coated...everything is "golden"

I don't want to bore you all with all the things I did, so I will just post imagines of the progress of the build up to where I am now. Please let me know if you see anything that I need to address or change.Click image for larger version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NorCal Ray; 02-10-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome job on the brake lines. Welcome. Hope to see much more from you in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where in nor cal are you? I am in Healdsburg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, little advice on how to get brake lines with bends that good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like your battery box (I'm not a big fan of the rods that come in the kit). Did you fab that, or is it something you purchased?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the brake lines look great, but you might want to set your windshield in place to make sure they clear. I had similar bends in mine, but the line coming off the brake cylinder and another one that peeked over part of the frame where too high. I had to ditch the FFR supplied adapter on the brake fluid reservoir and re-flare it with a stock Subaru connector instead to get the line low enough. (I'm trying to get away without cutting my windshield surround much or at all, so you might not have the problems I did.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and good to have another NorCal builder around. Looks like good progress and looking forward to more updates.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a Odessey PC 925 battery and hold down kit.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Roseville ,Ca. Let me know if you are in this area.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Eastwood Pro flaring tool and tubing bender. I had to redo a couple of lines I screwed up--Oh well!!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    What wheel and tire size?

I love this shot. Also what tires?

011.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running the Rota "Titan" wheels..front 17x8x45mm offset, rear 18x9.5x38 offset. The tires are Hoosiers R-6..Everything seems to fit now.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's cool to see another FFR builder in the Sacramento area! I am in Antelope and just completing my 33 build that I started at the end of October 2013. Looks like you making good progress on your 818! That is one I have been considering doing next so looking forward to following your build.

Good luck on your build!

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray, My folks live in Roseville. Next time I am out that way I will check in and see if you are available to check out your build. And compare notes on our R builds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Spec View Post
    What wheel and tire size?

I love this shot. Also what tires?

011.JPG
    R.Spec

I forgot to give you the tire sizes!!

Front are 225-40-R17, Rear are 255-35-R18. I have no rubbing on either side in front and the backs just clear (3/8") the trailing arm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Ray, My folks live in Roseville. Next time I am out that way I will check in and see if you are available to check out your build. And compare notes on our R builds.
    Hey Mitch,

Let me know when you come out to sunny California, would love to show you my "R" and do a little bit of "Trailer Racing"

See ya, NorCal Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crspdsk8 View Post
    It's cool to see another FFR builder in the Sacramento area! I am in Antelope and just completing my 33 build that I started at the end of October 2013. Looks like you making good progress on your 818! That is one I have been considering doing next so looking forward to following your build.

Good luck on your build!

Charles
    Hi Charles,

Man I would like to see your "33". It looks awesome in the picture! I could use some pointers on my build. You are so close in Antelope.My # is 916-870-0020.

See you soon, NorCal Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ray,
    Did you modify you lower trailing arms yourself?
    Did you do anything else special to get the 18x9.5x38 offset wheels to fit in the rear?
    Great looking build.
    Bob

PS: Can you change the name of your build thread to something special about you or your car.
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 02-12-2015 at 10:19 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Hey Ray,
    Did you modify you lower trailing arms yourself?
    Did you do anything else special to get the 18x9.5x38 offset wheels to fit in the rear?
    Great looking build.
    Bob

PS: Can you change the name of your build thread to something special about you or your car.
    Hi Bob,

Yes, I modified the trailing arm like Wayne's, but added a strong back brace in the offset area. I thought it was needed for strength. I would like to change the name of my build thread but I am such a retard when it involves this computer-I do not have a clue how!! My grandkids are too far away to show me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray,
    I will give you a shout when I am out that way, right now it looks like around Mothers Day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ask the moderator. They can change the name.