A couple of Saturdays ago I was working in the garage and got a call from Mark Dougherty. It's always good to talk to Mark (he's one of the great ones in our FFR world after all!) but this time he had a question. He was working with Bruce "nukemmc" on his Mk4 and wanted to know how I marry up rear bumpers with my coupler nut mod. For those not familiar with that here it is:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...hlight=coupler

The fly in the ointment with the bumpers is that the overriders are threaded to recieve bolts from the front however the coupler method doesn't allow for that. I explained how to rework the pieces to Mark & Bruce and last night while I was putting sejust2009's car together after painting it I snapped a few photos.

You'll use threaded rod, an internal nut and the exterior sleeves, bumper and nut to adjust the position of the lower valance to meet the trunk lid. Basically just the same as if you were using quick jacks except you're bolting on the bumper instead of QJs.

Drill the female 7/16" threads out of the overrider plates. I go to 15/32" to allow a bit of wiggle room. I then drill and tap for a 5/16"-18 thread midway between them.

Before putting the bumper on drill a hole in the mounting plate that corresponds to the one you drilled & tapped in the overrider plate. You then install the washers, sleeves and bumper on the all thread. I cut the all thread off about an inch beyond the bolts so that it can go through the holes that were opened up on the overrider plates. You'll see why in a moment.

You will now slip the overriders on the all thread stubs. The 5/16" threaded hole can recieve a chrome buttonhead to keep them pulled tight to the bumper (or as I did on this one simply because I had the parts on hand a short 5/16-18 stud and chrome acorn nut). As you can see in this photo taken from the front the 7/16" all thread protrudes through the holes in the overrider plates to keep them clocked vertically.

And there you go...DONE!

Hope that helps!

Jeff