Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Drilling Fiberglass

Post Thanks / Like

Drilling Fiberglass

I am about to begin drilling for the hood latches and windshield wipers. Does anyone have any tips on drilling through fibreglass? I have never done it before and do not want to crack or chip the gel coat.
    Last edited by JIMOCO; 02-10-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i don't recall having any issues with this, but you can put down a piece of painters tape first. This helps with making clear markings for measurements anyway.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used step bits like theseStep bits.jpg. There were some jigs for the wiper holes floating around for a while. You might want to see if you can locate them. Last time I heard of them was over on the other forum. See reply #8 here: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...-hole-jig.html

Start slow and remember, fibreglass can be repaired.....

Ray
    Last edited by Ray; 02-10-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ray. I like the step bits for the hood latches but the wipers use a drilling guide and the step bit will not fit. Any thoughts there?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    Thanks Ray. I like the step bits for the hood latches but the wipers use a drilling guide and the step bit will not fit. Any thoughts there?
    You might try these with the jig: RX-DK-DIY054036_wood-drill-bits_s4x3_lg.jpg

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    For larger holes (1") cover area with painters tape drill pilot hole just before the outer cutting edge touches the tape reverse the drill to score the gel coat, then run the drill in forward to complete the hole. Old boatyard trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are great suggestions. I will give them a try in the coming days. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    The drill-bit you need won't fit the drill guide either! The hole needs to be enlarged. I skipped the drill guide altogether. Marked when the holes for the wipers needed to be, drilled a pilot, enlarged it with larger bits and began opening it up for the required angle, then moved to a dremel sanding drum to finish the job. Check the fitment often and it worked like a charm. (you can you the guide as a starter, but be very careful drilling on the angle. you'll still need to open it open further).

Get used to drilling fiberglass and cutting it! (it's really not hard)
    Good luck!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    The main thing, in my experience, is don't use a brand new and sharp bit. They tend to bite in and rip through/chip. I always use a slightly older, broken-in bit. I've even dulled them, when all I have is new ones around.

Post Thanks / Like
    I greatly appreciate all of the advice. I will be drilling tonight and will let you know my results. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    What Mark said RE: wipers. I make an initial hole near the center then work out to the edges of the jig opening from below with a Dremel (you could do the same with a round file). I also agree that the step bits work well for things like hood latches, etc. but you'll still need an initial small pilot. BTW, don't forget that the hood handles get a larger hole on top than on the bottom (I do the underside holes just large enough for the square shaft to pass through).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    For any hole over 1/2" I use a hole saw. I found that they do a great job, are easy to control, and it is fun to throw around the "washer".
    Doug

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually run the drill backwards, at least until it is through the gel-coat. The bigger diameter the bit the more this helps.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    After considering all of the recommendations I used a step bit to cut the hood latch holes, a cut off bit on my Dremel to cut the opening for the scoop and I used the jig provided for the wipers and took a 5/8ths bit, started backward until I pierced the gel coat and then forward through the hole. In all situations I used painters tape over the area to be drilled or cut. Everything came out great. the last holes to cut are for the defrosters. Now that I have some experience, I feal more comforatble about the cuts.

Thank you all for your great suggestions.
    Jim