BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best Mustang Donor for 33'

Post Thanks / Like

Best Mustang Donor for 33'

I just ordered my 33' kit, and have been researching to find what years would be the best donor from a Mustang. Looking to use the 5.0EFI with a 5 speed, and the 8.8 rear with 5 lug and disc brakes, that would be great too.

Any advice? Thanks
    Last edited by gumbya55; 02-11-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably 94-95 because you get the 8.8 and 5 lug along with rear disc brakes. Problem is, you use very little of the mustang to make the donor worthwhile. Its not like the Roadster where you can use a ton of stuff. Hers a list of what you can use from the mustang.

Engine
    Transmission
    rear end.
    Front brakes
    battery
    I think that's about it. You might want to source those parts on your own rather than using a donor.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I thought I remembered reading that after-market motor accessories for 95 / 95 were limited. And there were a couple things you would need to change. (Also, wasn't there an issue with using the wiring and having to reprogram the computer due to security?? don't remember the details, but remember there were some issues)

Best bet is crate motor. If budget is an issue, go with a pallet and pick the parts and years you want.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think it's not worth the effort to find one complete package? I don't plan on doing any internal engine work. Budget is a concern, but I'd rather it get right first time (with budget in mind) then after the car is done...

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that for a 33 you shouldn't do a donor. I got a great deal ($2700) on a 92 gt in good condition..pulled it all apart and parted the stuff out that I didn't use. I rebuilt the engine, transmission, and rear end..but along the way ended up replacing so much that I should have just got the stuff new. I would have saved money and headache. That was even considering the parts that I sold paid for the drivetrain.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought what I needed from a mustang only boneyard. Saved time and money vs a donor car. Check out my type 65 build thread. I did a donor car on my 33 but ended up spending a lot of repairs. There are so many good buys IMO on crate motors, trans and rear ends out there it is almost a no brainer to go that route today. The donor cars are getting old and usually have a ton of miles on them.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to check the registration requirements in your state before you buy anything. SOME states require paperwork for the donor car that the engine / trans / axle came from - even if three different cars. Unfortunately, you can't even trust a running & driving donor to have a numbers matching drive train.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im in NJ, has anyone had issues with registering with donor parts?