Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1 Question about harnesses

Post Thanks / Like

1 Question about harnesses

I'm starting to consider which harness to use. I know I want 6 point, camlock, pull down. I'm planning on purchasing a HANS in the near future, which require thinner shoulder harnesses. However, I'll definetly be driving it a fair amount before purchasing the HANS. Is it safe to drive the HANS designed harnesses without using a HANS? I guess this question could apply if I was driving on the street without using the HANS/helmet.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Sparco unit that I have on my driver's side is designed that way. No issues with driving it with or without the HANS.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant answer the narrow shoulder straps for non HANS driving. I will say the Schroth belts are the best I have used and worth every penny. I have the Profi HANS II which allow you to change the configurations of pull down/pull up to whatever you want. In the 818 you really want pull down on the shoulder harnesses, and pull up on the lap belts. It makes adjustment easy for you while sitting in the tight confined space.
    I bought the pull down model, then unwrapped the lap belts and reversed them for pull up. There are Youtube video's on how to do it.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm strongly considering the Schroth belts. They get great reviews from everyone who uses them.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Post Thanks / Like
    We had Schroth belts on our FSAE car. We used either the Profi II or Profi III, can't remember which one. They worked really well and would recommend them. We used pull down on the shoulder belts and pull up on the laps (IMO the best way). We had them donated from HMS Motorsport and they were always very nice to deal with.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/home
    Last edited by rjh2pd; 02-15-2015 at 06:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another using Schroth belts. Recommended.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for the Scroth, I've got them in the Lotus elises. I use the Enduro belts and the adjusters are the bomb.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Another vote for the Scroth, I've got them in the Lotus elises. I use the Enduro belts and the adjusters are the bomb.
    I'm also planning on using Schroth belts. Assuming I go with aftermarket seats, I will use the Schroth Profi II ASM FE, which can be used legally on the street with or without the anti-submarine straps, but is fully race-legal when the anti-submarine straps are used. The neat thing about Schroth ASM belts is that they provide a level of anti-submarine technology even in 4-point configuration.

If I wind up using the stock seats which don't have anti-submarine belt slots (though I don't think I will), I'll use the Schroth Rally 4, a much less expensive 4-point system which employs Schroth's ASM technology. Not race legal, but still a pretty good belt, and MAY be good enough for track-day events. Best bet is the first choice, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    I'm also planning on using Schroth belts. Assuming I go with aftermarket seats, I will use the Schroth Profi II ASM FE, which can be used legally on the street with or without the anti-submarine straps, but is fully race-legal when the anti-submarine straps are used. The neat thing about Schroth ASM belts is that they provide a level of anti-submarine technology even in 4-point configuration.
    These are exactly what we bought. Pull UP on the lap belts, single sub strap.

The FE buckle is nice. Easy easy easy. That's how they get the street legal cert, a big orange PUSH button to get you out.

Only objection? The blue for lap & shoulder belts (2" vs 3") isn't exactly the best color match.. I imagine black should be more consistent.

Post Thanks / Like
    okay, i've been drinking the kool-aid and reading up on the Schroth website. Lots of recommendations above and very professional website, so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Profi II ASM FE belts and add the submarine belt.

Before I plunk down nearly $800 for the pair, anybody else recommend any other belts? Seems like I can get a nice pair of Simpson harnesses (similar to what FFR provides with some of the other kits) for around $500 or g-force or RaceQuip for even less. Obviously not looking to skimp on a safety related item, but there is of course, a point where spending more in this particular area doesn't really make you safer in a practical sense (it is a kit car, after all, not a Subaru)

I'll be using the car mostly on the street with the occasional HPDE day. No wheel to wheel racing. I did 7 years with the old latch and link harnesses on the Roadster, and would like to move to the cam-lock style belts out of semi-laziness (and I think it will make my wife a little happier for days when we make quick runs into town).

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you can easily get similar safety for a good bit less $.
    Our problem was that we wanted to completely skip mounting the OEM belts, which means getting through inspection with the harnesses. The FEs are the only ones we could find that have the right little "FMVSS 209" (memory) tag on them to be legal.
    -Andrew

Building 818S/R #297 with Tamra
    08 Mazdaspeed3 | '12 F800R | '97 Miata

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think this will be counter to anything anyone's said or advised.
    Never take the attitude of "I'm only playing" (I'm not a serious racer) or "I'm only going to do one or two track days a year". You can see countless videos of people who roll their DD car or get T-boned during a "harmless" track day. Personally, I met Watkins Glen's Armco up close and personal at over 100 mph at turn 3 when I had a mechanical failure. Nobody touched me. Luckily, I just had bruised ribs and feet.
    When I am weighing cost of parts I often do the "dinner test". If the difference is less than the cost of a nice meal out then it is a no-brainer for me. This is especially true for safety equipment. I tend to go with what the real racers use and not the poser stuff that supposedly passes muster.
    Functionality is a part of this. If you are upside down, and on fire, you don't want a harness whose latch sticks, is not ergonomic or is counter-intuitive. If you are strapped in, and using a Hans device, you may not be able to easily look at your harness latch. You release it by feel, habit and instinct.
    Let me give you an example of what I mean, for those that have not climbed into a fully outfitted race car:
    When I get in my car I have to close the door first. Once I have the harness on my reach is quite limited. I make sure my gloves are in a planned spot. Again, I might not be able to reach them or see them if if I don't. They, and my glasses are the last thing I put on. I then get everything else organized. Balaclava, helmet, and ? There shouldn't be much more. Did you start the GoPro?
    Then you buckle up. Earplugs? Then you perhaps put on the balaclava and then your helmet, then you put on your glasses (if you wear them). Then you attach the Hans device. You swing your head left to right to make sure the helmet is moving freely with the Hans attached.
    Then you grope around for the gloves. Ah, yes... right there on your thigh where you always put them! When you think you are ready you cinch the harness down. Now, you can't see s**t to back up. Backing into your spot is a good idea. Once you get moving forward in the pits you are home free!
    Now, I don't do WTW. I just play.