Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is power steering needed on the 33

Post Thanks / Like

Is power steering needed on the 33

Hello, i'm hoping i'm placing this into the right place. I read through the forums but didn't come across any threads asking this. How necessary is power steering on the 33? Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    It's really about how easy you want it to steer, I put electric power steering in and have driven it as a go cart with power to the system and off, I'm glad I bought the option. The electric is very nice you don't notice it no growling or jerkiness.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    In order of roughly decreasing importance:
    How strong (or stubborn) are you?
    How are you going to be using the car?
    Is cost/complexity/period correctness/road feel (not exactly the right terms in the case of the 33, but hopefully you get the idea) important to you?
    How wide/sticky of front tires will you be using?
    Which motor will you be using (ie - really heavy or something light)?

To varying degrees I think these may slightly influence the best answer for you. Somebody should come up with a giant decision tree on these things.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like power is the way to go then. I'm planing on putting a coyote in the car. Normally i like having a stiffer response from the wheel when i drive. I feel with my mustang gt it has the right balance of response and resistance with the steering wheel. Then i drive my gf's lexus is f 350 and it feels to floaty. basically I'm curious if you'll be able to skip a day at the gym after taking the car out for a joy ride and if adding the power steering will "over power" being able to feel the road. are you able to tune the responsiveness of the power steering?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had electric P/S in my 33. I would not build one for myself without it IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a pair of 245-40-17's on #422 without power steering. In my opinion the steering response feels great while moving, but you'll wish you had power steering every time you are parking or trying to turn the wheels while moving slowly. But then again, it is a hot rod that sees about 2,000 miles/year.

Post Thanks / Like
    looking at the ordering page it says " Electric Power Assist Steering – For 302/4.6L engines only* (*351 Oil pan will require modification, recommend stock ’87-’93 Ford pan for 302)" does this mean that the coyote will not be compatible with this setup or that the oil pan needs to be switched out.

Post Thanks / Like
    It fits perfect with the Coyote. I just did one
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    The Coyote pan is fine I had no interference issues at all. This is a poor image of the actual power steering unit, you have to use the extra joint in the steering to get around the engine but the notch in the stock pan is perfectly positioned to allow the steering unit sufficient clearance.

DSCN0597.JPG

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    great to hear, thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a suggestion, put a switch on the dash to turn it on and off. I found I liked to have it on around town, in parking lots and on the track however it was better to turn it off on the freeway where it can wander a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    As ehanson said. use a switch. There is no or very little resistance in the unit when its off. So its like having manual steering. when its off.
    Mike