Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Southeast Region Factory Five Annual Event - IDEAS PLEASE

Shows & Events Coordinator, FFR Sally Bean's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Southeast Region Factory Five Annual Event - IDEAS PLEASE

Good Morning Everyone -

The Huntington Beach Cruise In was a huge success and Dave asked me to see about organizing a few regional events along the same lines as the HB Cruise In. We already have the Annual Open House here in New England (and the Syracuse Nationals), we are committed to the London C-Car Show, in Ohio but we don't have any annual customer events in the Southeast or South Central (Texas region).

Since my husband, Gary, is from Amelia Island, I am thinking it would be a great location to hold a Cruise-In like we do at Huntington Beach. Here's my idea, what do you guys think?

The Omni Amelia Island Plantation, located on beautiful Amelia Island, Florida is where we are considering holding this event. I'm looking at either the end of September or the beginning of October, depending on what we can book at The Plantation and your ideas.

The basic outline would be a casual gathering Friday evening with the option of staying at The Plantation (we'll have a group rate for the rooms), a Cruise-In to Downtown Fernandina Beach, which is a beautiful and quaint retail section of the island. We could possibly rent the parking lot right at the end of the main street on the river which, again, is quite the location. There's the option of a Saturday night gathering somewhere on the island. Perhaps a bonfire/clambake on the beach, etc. for those of you that want to staying over Saturday night too.

I'm looking for any creative input that any of you may have for this.

We get a ton of requests from Southeast customers asking to do an event in that area. The Turkey Rod Run was a big success last year which showed us that we really should try to do something this year.

I look forward to hearing from all of you!!!

Sally

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sally,

What a great idea! The late September, early October time frame would be perfect. I'm assuming that Factory Five would be bringing their truck load of cars to display, as they did at the Turkey Rod Run ... along the same lines, is Factory Five going to be present at the Turkey Rod Run this year?

Garry
    Last edited by Garry Bopp; 04-28-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Added text
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to douse the flames of your spirit and enthusiasm Sally, but my two cents is something more family friendly and budget oriented. I can just imagine what that hotel's rate is. I think there would be more participation with a $200 weekend than a $500 one. I thought the Turkey Run was nice, just defeated by the rain for any evening activities. Plus, you get a LOT of people looking at product at a show like that.

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Shows & Events Coordinator, FFR Sally Bean's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mark,

Funny that you should mention that because I just spoke with my contact at the Plantation and she's gone, so switching the lodging location to the Hampton Inn which is right near the spot where the cars would end up is probably a better choice all the way around.

Even though the Turkey Rod was a great event, it's over the Thanksgiving Day weekend and a tough one to staff as you can imagine.

Sally

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Any consideration for a MidWest Event? St. Louis would be central to Kansas City and Chicago! I'm sure I could talk the local club (Gateway Cobra Club) into assisting!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Initial reactions and ideas: good location - should draw from FL, SC and (I would think) Atlanta as well - there are a LOT of FFRs in those areas; Amelia Island is a good choice with things to do for spouses; see if one of the locals can plan a cruise on Saturday with some sights to see and a destination for lunch, the end of Sptember is still pretty hot and the end of the rainy season; October is better weatherwise. Mark is correct - if blocking hotel rooms, offer a couple of different price points in close proximity to each other to keep everyone happy.
    MK III 347, TKO, 3:73, 17" Bullits, Levy Konis, Gas n' Go pipes, Black w/ Anthracite Grey stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Hijack, Sally I can believe those are your shoes in your avatar, but certainly not you wearing them. We have the fall autofair in August this year. I think something like the Georgia cruise they just did looked fun too. We would be interested in some fun.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea Sally! I would be very intrested
    Norman jones

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fernandina beach/Amelia is a great place, there is also an active car club up tere that Id bet would be willing to assist us. sounds great......Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like a great location to me as well. I am in contact with the Deep South Cobra Club for ideas as well. Steven - any idea of thename of the car club in that area?

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thx Steven,

Just sent them an email as well as posted on Deep South Cobra Club's Forum.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an idea. How about something more centrally located, like Atlanta? Could possibly pull from the whole southeast.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NicksPapaw View Post
    Just an idea. How about something more centrally located, like Atlanta? Could possibly pull from the whole southeast.
    If held in Atlanta, perhaps a track day at Road Atlanta or the new Atlanta Motorsports Park:

atlantamotorsportspark.com

Garry
    Last edited by Garry Bopp; 05-04-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added link
    I sure miss my coupe!

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts from a real new guy. I think if you want to see about renting a track I think Roebling Road in Savannah Ga. would be a better choice.

Road Atlanta is going to be very expensive. Roebling would be much better for newer drivers. Of course I realize the amenities at RR are very very limited, but I think it would be a much better choice for hanging out and much more relaxed driving.

I have driven many days at both tracks.

I would be up for either location.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never been to Fernandina, so there would be a plus for me. You could move it around from year to year, say Ashville N C for year two, and so on. Fontana N C next to the Dragon's tail should be a big hit one year. I'm not too thrilled about large city's such as Atlanta, as a meeting place myself, but will go along with the majority.

Post Thanks / Like
    Atlanta is much closer to Fernandina beach than Fort lauderdale, gets any father and like usual you wont see any of us from down here...............Steven
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea. Also if it's moved from year to year, vary the timing. Florida in July would about as welcoming as Asheville in February. North Florida is going to get a good mix of Ga, SC & Al folks better than south Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by cobradawg View Post
    I've never been to Fernandina, so there would be a plus for me. You could move it around from year to year, say Ashville N C for year two, and so on. Fontana N C next to the Dragon's tail should be a big hit one year. I'm not too thrilled about large city's such as Atlanta, as a meeting place myself, but will go along with the majority.
    Road Atlanta is actually about 45 miles from Atlanta so you can avoid any of the big city hassles. There are several wineries around that make great lunch stops and the notorious Blood Mountain is a little over an hour away.
    Last edited by TimC; 05-08-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! When Sally started this thread, I thought there would be a ton of people jumping on board with incouragement and ideas. Now weeks have passed, and this thread has sort of died. Come on guys, lets get behind her and see what can come of this. I think it could be something really fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    To some the key is consistency and the same place each year, that way you can make it better and better.

To some the key is rolling sites which attract folks locally and to a new venue. But you get new problems each time and little opportunity for Lessons Learned.

Even if the site is rotated, it still needs to have some level of Centrally Located to it.

The SOUTHEAST is a pretty big field from Maryland to Alabama (?). Actually it could be anywhere that offers Sweet Tea as a beverage.

Site also has to have track availability (several have been pointed out), cruise availability, highway accessibility from MD to AL.

Date is also important to make it available for families (school children ?) to attend. Not just a guy thing!

There are some official Cobra Clubs who Sally could contact for direct input. If one is local to the event, they can help with logistics.

I for one am ready for Factory Five to make a proposal, or two (if they want a vote) and get that ball rolling.
    PHILLIP, They call the wind MARIAH.
    "Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
    Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, fabricated Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like

Factory Five Driver Training Day...

...at Roebling would be so cool. Imagine the possibilities!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sally,

Amelia Island sounds great. Easy to get too good location.

Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gary:
    Do you ever get to So. Fl with the coupe? I am interested in buying kit...would like to see if not too much trouble. Is Covington near Atlanta?

Post Thanks / Like
    coupe in fort laauderdale, where are you Steve?..........
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegravett View Post
    Gary:
    Do you ever get to So. Fl with the coupe? I am interested in buying kit...would like to see if not too much trouble. Is Covington near Atlanta?
    Steve,

Yes, Covington is just east of Atlanta about 35 miles.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sally,

I love the idea of a Southeastern Annual Event. But I do not believe Florida is a viable location.

The location you mention, though just barely in Florida, is a 9+ hour drive for folks in east Tennessee. Slightly less for northern Georgia. More for northern Alabama, Mississippi, and middle/east Tennessee. Just too far.

If the location has to be a coastal site, I think Charleston or Myrtle Beach is much more viable.

But I think Atlanta or someplace more centrally-located in the region is a superior location. In addition to being centrally-located, Atlanta has the advantage of being near a world-class road course, and there's lots of things to do (Coke Museum, Braves, Underground Atlanta, lots of nice Spring and Fall tour routes, etc.)

Either a Spring or a Fall date would work...

Just my two cents.

Sherrell

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand the need for a "track day" the Huntington Beach gathering has no track day, and they pull over 100 cars, including cars from Arizona and Northern California. I would love to see Sally chime back in, and get this moving, I bet if Dave parks the FFR truck somewhere in the deep south there WILL be a big turnout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Myrtle Beach... The Mustang event they have there seems to go over real good.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    I will remind you just for argument that Fort laud./Miami is 6 hours from the north border of our own state.....HTH Steven
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates???
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to keep this going...
    I'll state again - my preference is either Atlanta (or some place a wee bit south of Atlanta to help the southern-most folks a bit) or Birmingham...
    Sherrell
    #F5R1004921RD – MKIII Delivered 6/21/05; First Start 6/14/08; Go-Kart 8/2/08 – No-donor, carbed 351W/400+hp, 3-link, Forte LCAs, CNC M/C, FFMetal Ftboxes & Firewall, I**2 elec, 15" Team-III wheels, SC Dash, Leather Seats, Ford Tuxedo Black Metallic / Hyundai Extreme Blue Metallic Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Sally started this and has not posted anything in months, who knowses if she has even momitored our replies. I would have hoped responce would have been higher, but there were some good ideas. It's getting late in the season now so I guess she must have dropped the whole thing, too bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beuller?,,,,,,,,,,Beuller?....Beuller???????
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything ever come of this?