BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ehansen007 289 Build- 1000 mile report!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent, congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Eric. Still as beautiful as the first time Ive seen it .

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    much deserved
    well done eric
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    HB was the 1st time I saw your car in person. What a beautiful car, WOW. Nice Job Eric.
    F5R1006211RD, Blue Granite Metallic with Titan Silver Stripes by Jeff Miller (Batman)
    4.6 SOHC, 3.73 R&P, 3 Link W/Koni's, 17x9 Cobra R's with 255 45zr 17 BFG Tires, Champ Pan

Post Thanks / Like
    Well after 6 months of building and 6 months of BS motor work and DMV she's all legal!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats! How did you get the plate to fit?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    You mean without the screws going through the back? I used nuts as washers. Everything else lined up fine. I also took some steel wool to it to give some age! What's interesting about these new cal plates is that they are actually not black. They are a deep metallic brandywine if you put it in the sun. Weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric-

I love the color, the plate, the black-out effect, and everything else! She is really a beauty!

Congratulations again on a really fine build. If I can emulate a fraction of your skills, I will be set!

Well done on the award as well, although it isn't a surprise given your outstanding build; awesome!

Regards,

Steve

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super Job! I really like the plate too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see that it now has plates and all is well.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Fellas! See you out there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Soooooo. It's been an interesting 1000mi to say the least.

After having to rebuild the entire motor due to something ruining the piston rings, I got the car back on the road the day before HB show. I managed to get it to the show and had a good result however the clutch slave pushrod came out of the cylinder and the clutch stopped working! I figured out a way to get it working just enough to get it home. I pulled into the driveway and it popped out again. So, we pushed it into the garage and put the cover on it and headed out the country for three weeks. Since I've been back and fixed it, it's a lot of just driving it to local shows and testing it and working out the bugs and rattles. I recently took it up to big bear for my longest road trip to date Some findings thus far:

The EFI works great however it's taken some time to adapt to driving it in the mountains. The changes in Altitude does take the Holley system a while to learn and compensate. We're working on a new map now to fine tune it.

As we all know the Wagner brake pads that come with the kit are awful so an upgrade is in order. I've tried the Hawks before but found them to need heat to get working well. Per Dan's recommendation, I picked up the cheapest ($29) Semi-Metallic pads from Napa and just got them on the car. They had actually sold me the Ceramic pads (which is what the 99GT calls for) and they had little bite to them. The cheapo Napa pads are MUCH better. They work great. So thanks Dan!

Bias Ply tires lose air way faster then regular tires. There always seems to be one tire that loses it faster than the others as well. They are sticky though and really fun on the asphalt. Not so much on the concrete freeways.

The S10 tailshaft on the T5 is the bomb! So glad I redid this when I had the motor out. The shifter is now where is should be, in any car for that matter, and it's just so smooth.

The electric power steering upgrade is just amazing. Although I have the 289 with the narrower front end, I was lucky to have some shorter and longer turnbuckles handy from the 818 so I could get the caster where it should be at 9 degrees. Now that it's there it's perfect. Fully adjustable and I'm waiting on the ECU upgraded firmware to I can hook it to the GPS and have it dynamically change based on the speed. Can't wait.

Suspension. It's on the softest setting for the Konis and I even switched to some #275 springs in the back and it could be a lot better. Even with the 15in wheels at 25PSI. The guys I run with are all going to QA1s and seem to really like the compliance so I may move to those as the next step.

So for now the car is pretty damn good. It runs strong and clean and I never smell like gas when I get back. Just enjoying it so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    great
    thanks for the update
    glad to see it getting driven
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mark!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    The fuel smell in the garage is what keeps me going!
    Doug
    Try intravenous. Doesn't smell as much.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Cats?

Hi Erik, Did you eventually put cats on your car? I am in CA also and am wondering related to my 289 build. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Because I believe it will run better, burn cleaner, get better MPG, and more efficient HP. Coming over from electric for me meant I had to run a clean car. I hated the carb setup in the hot rod and how it always smelled of fuel in the garage and when running. And, I spoke to Erik Treves and the the 8 stack Weber setup was still not cheap. 8 Stack just looks so good though. I wouldn't run anything else on this car. This will be the cleanest running 289 so help me if I even have to put high flow cats on it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I've had them on the whole time. The sound vs the J pipes is better I think. Especially when it's popping off throttle. But yeah, no smell, still great performance, sound, everything! There seems to be this allegiance to loud and smelly that I just can't figure out with the old guys. Maybe it's because they are loud and smelly too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik
    HEY HEY;
    What happened to the respect your elders advice you got as a young lad.

For the record, this loud smelly old fart is building a SMPI COP 6 pack Hemi 33.
    It won't have Cats <no room on the 33> but it will burn pretty clean so no love for carbs from this old skool fool.
    DB 7L Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm working hard to become an old fart. Just ask my kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some updates done for the show and had a great time driving it the last year. The only problem is that now the pilot bearing shaft must be seized because I cannot get the car in gear while it's running. So now I have to pull the transmission. I think the car may be cursed to be honest.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234