FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My Family Trip to Washington D.C.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Family Trip to Washington D.C.

This is a bit off topic here, but I figured some of you might get a kick out of seeing what our family did for spring vacation. Denise and I took the kids to Washington D.C. on the train (out of Providence). We saw went to The National Archives and saw the great American documents - The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, and The Bill of Rights. We also visited the World War II Memorial and The Lincoln Memorial and toured the Air & Space Museum.

I'm embarrassed to admit that it took me this long to visit our nation's capital, but the trip was a blast and something that every American should have a chance to do.

Dave Smith
    President

The Washington Monument as seen from the World War II Memorial

The Smith Family heads out to D.C.

The Air & Space Museum (Absolutely beyond cool for all gear heads)

The original Wright Brothers airplane

Saturn 5 rocket engine

My son Adam in front one of the most impressive engines ever built

Lincoln Memorial
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wisconsin pillar of World War II Memorial

Nicole, Adam, and Madison Smith (L to R)

Madison and Adam with original P-51 at the Air & Space Museum
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, that is awesome and close to my heart. My dad had never been to DC, so as a father's day gift two years ago I planned a father son weekend and we went down that fall. It really is an amazing place and made for a great father son memory. Last year for Christmas I had a couple photo books printed up for each of us, I only wish I had that bright idea before the trip as I would have paid more attention to getting some good shots.

Did ya'll get a chance to go up into the Washington Monument? I had never been in it before that trip, so it was pretty cool to do. Air and Space of course is just awesome!

All the best
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

Just being there makes you proud to be an American. It's an amazing place. Great pictures.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a very good trip to make. We did this for a week last summer and I can honestly say that if we spent a month there, we still would not see everything we would want to. We toured the Capitol with an intern with one of our Senators (we had appointments in advance with both Senator's offices, just in case) and there is so much history and trivia that I'm sure I forgot 90% of it. You picked a good time of year. DC is quite hot in August!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, Don't feel bad I'm from Baltimore and I've been to FFR as many times as I've been to DC. Both were historic just different kinds.
    Denny
    Mk IV #7365 Ordered 9/27/10, Pick-up 10/30/10, Go Cart 7/30/11 302 cid 030, Carburetor, T-5, 4 Link, Completed 5/27/12, Grabber Blue / Kona Blue
    "One day your car will be working and you'll see a reflection of yourself in a shop window, and trust me on this, that will be good" J.C.
    http://s841.photobucket.com/user/BLTFRDTUF/library/

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool Dave. I've never been either. Coincidentally, my wife and I are taking our ten year old boys to DC in the middle of June this year. We set aside two weekends and the week in between. I'm hoping it's enough time. I am looking forward to the Air and Space museum beyond measure. I'm into my 40s and just the thought of going to that part of the Smithsonian makes me schoolboy giddy. I'm sure I could spend all 9 days there if given the opportunity.

We have reserved a car for the trip, but many have told us to cancel it, as it's supposedly not needed. Possibly even a detriment. What does eveyone here think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Adam has "that look" , you know the one, like he is really saying "hey dad, when are we going to build one like this"

Do we see a new line of kits coming from FFR in his future?

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get a car (we've driven up from FL each time so had the car already) find some all-day parking lot. DO NOT park in the street in front of the Smithsonian buildings. At 5pm the parking lane becomes a "driving" lane and they tow cars away with abandon, AND ticket you. Both trips to DC I got $100 parking tickets. Next time I go I'll take the train in from my brother's house! LOL

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    We are planning a D.C. trip for summer vacation . My three boys are pumped about going.

...master of none. CapeCoralCobra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    We have reserved a car for the trip, but many have told us to cancel it, as it's supposedly not needed. Possibly even a detriment. What does eveyone here think?
    A car could be a detriment. I lived about an hour away most of my life, we often took the motorcycle because it was easier to squeeze in somewhere. If not, we parked at the outlying Metro station and rode the Metro (subway in town, above ground in suburbs) in. June is a very busy month in DC, parking is at a premium, and public parking garages are expensive. If you are staying in downtown DC or near a Metro stop just outside the city, you won't need a car to see all the museums, memorials, etc. The Metro is pretty clean, well used, and has numerous stops in those areas.

Dave, DC is a great place for the kids -of all ages. I'm sorry to say we often took it for granted. Now that I've been in FL for 3 years, I miss being able to take a day trip like that. Not too many places in the country like DC.
    Last edited by CapeCoralCobra; 05-01-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Alan, Mk 3.1 #7172, 308, GT40P heads, Crane roller rockers, TFS Stage 1 cam, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, Pro M 75mm MAF, March pulleys, Cobra spec T5, 3.73 8.8, Konis all around, 15" FFR Halibrands, Viper Red/Pure White Stripes.
    "There's nothing you can't do, only stuff you haven't done yet!" Randy Jones

Post Thanks / Like
    We went over Spring Break too. Stayed at the Downtown Marriott, 2 blocks from the White House and walking distance to the Smithsonian. It cost $40/night to leave the car there. We parked the car for 2 days and got a hop on-hop off bus ticket, it worked out well.

Last edited by Bill Shaw; 05-03-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added pics