Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Factory five cobra

Post Thanks / Like

Factory five cobra

I am a serious buyer, always wanted one of these, and ready to pull the trigger. $23,000-$28,000, must be stick shift, must be Ford powered, must have side pipes, no accident history. Lastly, I just want an overall decent car. Will pay up to $23,000 if needs paint, or if it is yellow, because I just do not like yellow, and would be forced to paint it. Donor car is fine. I am in Maryland, but for the proper car, would pay for shipping from wherever you are. I have been considering either a ffr roadster, or a c6 corvette, but I swear, the ffr cobra just looks like a straight up blast.

I would consider other "Makes" of Cobras but I like the ease of use of the biggest Cobra manufacturer, and the quality control they have always maintained. The other makes I trust are typically far more expensive, like Contemporary, ERA, Everett Morrison, and Unique. Again, they are usually $45,000 and up, but I have seen some nice donor car builds from FFR that sold for mid $20s.

If I don't find something, my hope is the Carlisle import show will have some for sale, as this is only 4 hours from me. I attended it almost 20 years ago when I was a Porsche guy, but I like the look, sound, and torque of the big American v8, and the fact that an engine rebuild is not $9,000, like a 911.

If you have anything, and are serious, please shoot an email or a text to me please. my cell is 443 975 8469. my email is [email protected]

Thanks a lot.
    ronny

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Ronny,

I see that you have done your homework. I would recommend a little flexibility with your upper number. I was looking at the without paint and then roughly calculating what a killer paint job costs these days. I hope you find one with a great paint job for 28K but it might be a bit more. There are still a bunch of good donor builds out there. It is probably less likely to see a MKIV with the donor build but MKI, II, and III more so. You are definitely on the right track.

BTW: I have a c4 vette. I've driven many c2 and c3s. There is no comparison with the way a vette drives and one of these! The short wheelbase is a kick a** trip every time you get in and launch it.

Good luck on finding your dream roadster.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with WEK. Your price range is a bit low for a "nice" build, and almost for sure will not be a Mk4 for that money. There are deals out there for sure, but be very careful. The build quality and content is all over the place. If you find something that you can't examine in person, be especially careful. Agree the brands you cite may command a higher price. But typically for a reason. If you compare build quality and content, apples for apples, the differences aren't so much. As is usually the case, you get what you pay for. Good luck with your search.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Yeah, I know what you guys are saying. I used to work in a custom fiberglass shop, so I can do the glass, blocking, priming, and paint, or more likely, I can higher a guy on the side to do it for me, and $3k will do the job. Not looking for a show shine, just a factory quality job. Single stage solid color urethane is where I am coming from, dark green, or dark blue. Also, I am fine with a MK 3, or whatever is not the most current. Face it, any of the versions are better than the originals. Over 20 years ago, I had a neighbor that had a genuine 427 Cobra, seriously. This is back when you would hear about them bringing $250,000. Side oiler, aluminum, basic, and he took me for a ride. It was crude, squeaky, shaky, and it was out of control when stepped on the throttle. It was cool. It had me hooked. I looked at a c6 today, z51 car, 6 speed convertible. I like it, but I think the raw Cobra feel would simply be more fun. Let me know if any of you guys have anything. I am considering a Hurricane now that I found online, with a lot of receipts and upgrades, but, I do know, at least, many of those have an inferior frame compared to the FFR, but again, I bet it is every bit as strong and rigid as the originals. Thanks a lot. Let me know what you have to go to market. $30,000 is a possibility if it is the right car.