Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: The build is picking up some speed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VD2021;21910]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    I did some work tonight on the passenger door. I was able to get it working without any mods to the frame. One thing I noticed was that the measures given in the manual for the holes that have to be drilled in the door to hold the upper part of the window track were impossible at least in my case. The manual states that the rear track hole should be done 10" from the rear of the door and the front one at 27" from the rear. In my case at 10 and 27 In. the track would stick out of the top of the door. IIRC the rear one ended up at 7.5 in. At this point I'm only holding the tracks with those bolts at the top. I still haven't bonded the brackets that hold the tracks to the frame. Because of this when the window is going up I have to push it to the outside to guide it over the rear door pillar. When those brackets get bonded and in place it should go by itself.

Another thing I had to do was cut about 3/8" of the bolt that closes the clamp that holds the glass on the rear track. It sticks out too much and was hitting the outer skin of the door.
    QUOTE]

Outstanding. Did you attach the lower points per the manual? Do you forsee any clearance or window alignment to body/pillar once the brackets are bonded? I'm taking notes so push as much info as you feel is warranted.

Reports like this give me conficence about doing my doors and panels myself and ending up with a solid product.

Yes, the lower points are per the manual. I don't think there will be any clearance or alignment issues with the brackets installed. I think that they should help align the glass better with the rear door pillar. the rest of the glass fits as it should so far. I hope that wont change with the brackets on. The only modification done to the frame was trimming the part that sits against the front of the door. This was done to allow the upper part of the frame to be as inward as possible inside the door. I have circled in this picture were the trimming was done. On the lower part of the frame you can still see the excess material outside of the weld.

Last edited by Kempo; 06-24-2011 at 07:21 PM.