Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power Steering Rack Recommendation

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering Rack Recommendation

Does anyone have a recommendation for a where to purchase a Power Steering Rack for the MK4? I saw one at breeze automotive, but I wanted to make sure I have a few options. Also since I purchase the complete kit is there special mounting hardware or can I use the hardware off the manual setup? As always thanks for the advise it really is a lifesaver.

Thanks
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    The Breeze rack is a nice piece because it's a quality reman direct from Unisteer, plus he's selling it now with the rack extenders and boots already installed. Nice. I chose it for my Mk4 build with power steering, and I'm very happy with it so far. But it's not the cheapest. You can go any of your local parts stores and get a power rack for an 87-93 Mustang, and they drop right in. I've seen Auto Zone specifically mentioned. They have them in several ratios. They bolt in exactly the same as the manual rack. Only difference will be the adapter for the steering column. The power one is different than the manual one. Plus, like the manual rack, you likely will need to adjust (e.g. cut off) the length of the inner tie rods.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward Thanks, I did look at auto zone and the refurb rack looks pretty reasonable in price. I do have a follow up, which ratio is a safe one to go with? I have read that the lower the ratio is the more sensitive for making turns. Also for lighter smaller sports car a lower ratio is better. Can you make a recommendation on a ratio for general street driving? ( no racing)

Thanks
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpt112 View Post
    ... Can you make a recommendation on a ratio for general street driving? ( no racing)

Thanks
    Kevin
    I've built a few for customers that are used only on the street (or at most for an occassional "just for giggles" autocross) and installed the 3.0 turn Autozone #6406 in them all. They list for ~$75 if you don't have a core. You didn't mention whether you plan to order a base or complete kit but if you are doing a complete kit you can sell the included manual rack for 2 times that amount through the forum classifieds and put the other $75 towards the pump and brackets! BTW, if you purchase the Autozone rack check that it actually is 3 turns lock to lock before even leaving the store---there have been reports of 2.5 turn racks winding up in the 3.0 box and vice-versa.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kevin, for my 340 HP 302ci roadster I'm very happy with my 355 geared Torsen rear end. I see you went with IRS as well. Great option for a street car IMO. I love mine.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Kevin, for my 340 HP 302ci roadster I'm very happy with my 355 geared Torsen rear end. I see you went with IRS as well. Great option for a street car IMO. I love mine.

Say what????? Not sure how you are going to install a 3:55 Torsen in a power steering rack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpt112 View Post
    Edward Thanks, I did look at auto zone and the refurb rack looks pretty reasonable in price. I do have a follow up, which ratio is a safe one to go with? I have read that the lower the ratio is the more sensitive for making turns. Also for lighter smaller sports car a lower ratio is better. Can you make a recommendation on a ratio for general street driving? ( no racing)

Thanks
    Kevin
    I completely agree with Jeff's comment that 3.0 turn rack is probably best for street driving. Even then, the car's going to feel very quick. Trust me.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the AutoZone rack, 2.5 turn but didn't check it out of the box. Now the tires contact the chassis before the rack stop so can't verify. But, the Breeze rack extenders are needed or the rack ends will not have enough thread engagement with the tie rod ends. I think it was earlier MK3 and other steering parts that required the rod ends to be cut.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Say what????? Not sure how you are going to install a 3:55 Torsen in a power steering rack.
    Yeah, oops. I misread it and thought he changed the subject to rear end gearing.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the best power steering pump setup? thanks. And Dave, stop talking about your rear at every chance you get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    What's the best power steering pump setup?
    Being a subscriber to the K.I.S.S. philosophy I've done all of mine with OEM Mustang pumps. Designed to work with the rack, reliable and easy to source, <$100, brackets are plentiful and inexpensive---what's not to like? Added a Heidt's valve to one to allow for variable assist, trimmed the spring in another to reduce it a bit and have others running with full assist. Owners are all happy!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 cents worth on a subject I know more than I had hoped too. I had a parts house rebuilt rack in my Mark III from the beginning. It had a little play in it and always bothered me. I got the bright Idea that is would install a nice manual rack. That turned into a big fiasco. (another story completely) I am presently waiting for my new Breeze power steering rack with the rack extenders included. It may have been a little pricey but I'm sure it is a quality piece from a vender I can count on. The $75.00 rebuilt racks are a big gamble and in my opinion and the wrong place to save money on a car like this. The steering should feel great and quality parts and needed to achieve that feeling.

HTH

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. Thanks. Although expensive, I really liked my unisteer electric assist on the hot rod. I could turn it on for autocross and around down and then off for the freeways and road courses. Best of both worlds. And, I'm pretty sure you could keep it hidden up under the footbox? Anyone else done this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I went with the Kleiner Plan and don't regret it. KISS is best for these cars. Also went with the 3.0 turn.
    Installation was pretty straightforward during the build (before the radiator was in). Upgrading later would be more challenging.
    I also installed the Breeze #70634 Offset Rack Mounting Kit for FFR Roadster (this is the one for the MK4.)
    I don't know if it's changed, but I did have to grind the ears down on the frame just a little, for the rack & bellows to fit without rubbing.

I have the AutoZone rack, 2.5 turn but didn't check it out of the box. Now the tires contact the chassis before the rack stop so can't verify.
    I may be incorrect, but I don't think the 2.5 has anything to do with the clearance, isn't it just the turning ratio/speed? (for the record, my 3.0 also rubs the F-panels (planning to install limiters.)

IF I was doing it over (on my next build), I'd look into the adjustable electric power assist. I think this would be an even better solution!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think you will also need a different steering U-Joint for Power vs. Manual Rack (I think FFR will supply it when you order, if you tell them PS).
    And I think you will also need new fittings if you run after-market braided hose.
    #70516 Adapter Fitting Kit, 06AN, For '87 - '93 Mustang Power Steering Rack
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I went a different route with a Flaming River power rack and their modified GM Saginaw pump. Concept is the GM pump is superior to the Ford item. I just installed so cannot comment on anything but how cool it looks. You may have to take out a second mortgage to pay for all of this though. Think if I were doing this all over I would go Breeze. Henry
    MK IV complete kit delivered August 21st, 2014. Ford Racing 427w with X heads. IRS. Upgraded Wilwoods, 6 piston front and 4 rear. Tremec t600 and Ram Dual clutch. Holley Terminator EFI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Meant to add that the standard GM pump may have too much pressure. Flaming River reduces pressure but there are aftermarket valves available also. You can reduce the Fird pump with cut spring or Heidts valve.
    MK IV complete kit delivered August 21st, 2014. Ford Racing 427w with X heads. IRS. Upgraded Wilwoods, 6 piston front and 4 rear. Tremec t600 and Ram Dual clutch. Holley Terminator EFI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I've built a few for customers that are used only on the street (or at most for an occassional "just for giggles" autocross) and installed the 3.0 turn Autozone #6406 in them all. They list for ~$75 if you don't have a core. You didn't mention whether you plan to order a base or complete kit but if you are doing a complete kit you can sell the included manual rack for 2 times that amount through the forum classifieds and put the other $75 towards the pump and brackets! BTW, if you purchase the Autozone rack check that it actually is 3 turns lock to lock before even leaving the store---there have been reports of 2.5 turn racks winding up in the 3.0 box and vice-versa.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Jeff, Autozone does not have the rebuilt 6406 rack anymore. Are you using one of the other brick and mortar store 3 turn LTL rebuilt racks now? do you also recommend extenders with those racks in a Mk 1.5? I don’t notice bump steer on my car now with an FFR manual rack and donor spindles.
    Thanks, Phil
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ptstew View Post
    Jeff, Autozone does not have the rebuilt 6406 rack anymore. Are you using one of the other brick and mortar store 3 turn LTL rebuilt racks now? do you also recommend extenders with those racks in a Mk 1.5? I don’t notice bump steer on my car now with an FFR manual rack and donor spindles.
    Thanks, Phil
    Try O'Reilly #101-0106, 101-0107 or 101-0108. You can get remanufactured R&P at NAPA as well but if you don't have a core they'll hit you with a ridiculous charge. I don't know about the bump steer geometry on a 1.5 other than out of the box it is not supposed to be as good as Mk3 and 4 but have to think that the extenders would probably improve it.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Jeff. I’m planning a KISS p/s upgrade this winter.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.