Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power steering and power brakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Power steering and power brakes?

am looking to buy and am noticing some of these cars have power steering/brakes. What is the consensus of this on a roadster? Does it diminish the feel or experience? thanks a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wont build one without power brakes. Power steering IMO isn't needed if using the proper rack.
    mike

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've built hot rods with and without power brakes. On this roadster, I decided to go with the Wilwood dual MC pedal set. It seems to be a good design but I can't say it's perfect. I don't have the perfect calipers/rotors for the system. Having said that, a PB booster might give just the right amount of assist. I don't think it is possible though with this system. I recently did a high performance AX in a Camero with PB and ABS, I'm sure. It was amazing how much feel there was in the pedal. of course, I was banging it so hard, that may have been an unfair test.

Power steering is something I have not usually incorporated in my hot rods. I decided to use power steering because I was thinking of AX and other track exercises so it was something that many on this forum support. I have to say, I don't regret having the PS with a Heidt valve (sort of a proportioning valve although works by bleeding the fluid back to the reservoir instead of blocking it). You can get extreme sensitivity in the system with this setup. It is almost too much to handle for me. I can't really keep up with it in very fast situations. On the other hand, when you dial the assist down with the valve, it becomes damped to the point that you would think you don't really have power assist. I haven't tried driving it in this mode too much but it is pretty dead compared to the other extreme. The beautiful thing is that you can find the perfect sweet spot between these two extremes that will suit your driving situation (very adjustable). The other collateral benefits to PS is the ability to tune the suspension/alignment to carry several positive degrees of castor in your front suspension. It makes initiating a turn much easier. I guess it's kind of like down hill skiing with asymmetrical skiis. The equipment helps initiate the turn. The Firestone guy who aligned my front end had done many roadsters but had a hard time getting it just right with 9 degrees of castor (about an hour plus). However, it takes mountain curves and hills very well but still has good road feel. The only thing I don't like is the idea of the engine dying and having to man handle it in a critical situation. That hasn't happened yet.

Good luck on your choices,

WEK.
    Last edited by skullandbones; 03-18-2015 at 01:31 PM.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046