Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Want Some Louvers for the 818?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    I want the louvers to mount to the top of the hood and sit in the contoured area, the only exposed edge would be the back. total length 12 inches
    Why on top of the hood ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    because when mounted under they sort of disappear due to the contour of the hood
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    because when mounted under they sort of disappear due to the contour of the hood
    You don't want anything in the rear recessed area ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    As soon as I get the moulds from Tony, I'll get started on these. Mine will not disappear down into the hood. They will mount to the back side of the hood and fit and look similar to the Gen I GTM louvers. Not exactly like them, but similar. As we discussed earlier, I'll toy around with making the leading louver blade stand a bit proud from the hood surface to deflect the air up and create a low pressure area for the rest of the louvered opening in the hood.

In reality, I'll probably end up selling a few different versions of hood louvers for the 818. Something to fit the standard opening, an enlarged opening and maybe a more aggressive race version with a tall front blade to maximize the low pressure area?
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig's are made to fit in the approx. same position as the FFR grills. If they were wider and longer they could fit underneath if the contour was cut all the way up to the surface of the hood. Then the louver would stand up better. The hood contour is pretty deep at the front...
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    You don't want anything in the rear recessed area ?
    I want it to stop where the frame tubes cross supporting the suspension... I want to block that off and force the air to flow up and out of the louvers. The boxed in area where FFR has the battery tray will either end up as a small storage compartment or even more likely as the area for the fuel tank
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with RM1. Putting them on top would make the more prominent visually and probably function better as well.
    Last edited by metros; 04-01-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wait for some options. Getting excited!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you could do anything to make the rear end look better (side rear bumper vents or back rear vents like your GTM) , I would definitely buy and I am sure others would as well.

Also, I know factory five had made the door vents for the 818r to help pull some air out, is there anything that you might be able to come up that could do the same, but work with the many 818s owners out here. I think the rear end and the front door/fender area are what need visual help. Each of these locations could look better and the modifications would be functional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    If you could do anything to make the rear end look better (side rear bumper vents or back rear vents like your GTM) , I would definitely buy and I am sure others would as well.

Also, I know factory five had made the door vents for the 818r to help pull some air out, is there anything that you might be able to come up that could do the same, but work with the many 818s owners out here. I think the rear end and the front door/fender area are what need visual help. Each of these locations could look better and the modifications would be functional.
    I'm open to whatever you guys feel is needed or would help with appearance or cooling. If there is enough demand for the product, I'm willing to do my best to make something that people will be willing to purchase. I am at the disadvantage of not having an 818 here, so developing this stuff will require that I get some help from you guys. If you want me to work on some of the rear bumper vents or some front fender louvers or whatever.....splash me a mould and ship it to me and I'll see what I can do. The mould needs to be big enough so I have some context of the area and what I'm working on. I don't care to get into making too many fiberglass parts, but again, it all depends on demand. If there is enough demand for some moulded fiberglass rear bumper vents I can do that. On fiberglass parts, I would need to know an initial demand as it doesn't make sense for me to spend 2 weeks creating parts and moulds to just sell one set. On louvers and aluminum parts, the design work doesn't take nearly as much time or materials, so it's not that big of a deal to stick my neck out and hope they sell.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah louvers to fill the whole recessed area, Tony, I like that.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12