Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Project 818s Build in a month?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Project 818s Build in a month?

I was wondering what the experienced builders/current builders think of this idea. I have roughly a month of assembly time in June before I have to move from a well equipped garage to a parking stall... I am looking for help on a time frame for the various build stages so that I can plan accordingly. If you have a moment just post a comment for how long you spent on things such as; drive train, interior, exterior, prepping parts etc. Any time saving ideas would be great as well!

I am building this kit car with my dad, in which he has built an AC roadster from FFR, so he does have experience with these kits. As of right now I am still attending University and haven't had much time to work on the car itself, it is currently still sitting in the shipping box

I have completed all of the donor disassembly, I am just on the stage of prepping the parts. Still have to reassemble the motor, press in the hub bearings, rebuild the brake calipers, extend the wiring, and convert the transmission to 2WD.

ANY! advice is greatly appreciated, I have found some stickies posted here for tips and tricks that the manual doesn't cover so that is very handy.

Thanks in advance!
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    You could definitely get it into driving condition depending on how many hours you have to work per day. I don't think you could finish it. But it could be running if everything is ready to go before you start. Wiring is going to take a lot of time to get it done right.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely you could build it in a month. I bet me and Erik could build one in 2 weeks without breaking a sweat.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think Wayne's being slightly dishonest since he does not sand, if you mean painted and everything no way dude. You would need a team of people to build it complete in two weeks. Plus Wayne has a full shop and dyno and has built many FFR cars. The two could maybe do it, but it would be more like a month.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    I think Wayne's being slightly dishonest since he does not sand, if you mean painted and everything no way dude. You would need a team of people to build it complete in two weeks. Plus Wayne has a full shop and dyno and has built many FFR cars. The two could maybe do it, but it would be more like a month.
    I've watched Wayne work. I've had the pleasure of getting in his way on a couple of his 818 builds, and If he says he and Eric can do it in 2 weeks, I absolutely believe those 2 could. (Eric sands, and paints!)

Bill

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would wager $1000 that Erik and I could build an 818S in 2 weeks (no paint). It wouldn't surprise me if it was more like 8-9 days
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I would wager $1000 that Erik and I could build an 818S in 2 weeks (no paint). It wouldn't surprise me if it was more like 8-9 days
    Especially with my help!!!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Wow Wayne, It took me that long to properly diet my harness.

Iblackew, Watch Wayne in all the Grassroots Motorsports videos. Then go for it. Part 1 to Part 34.
    Bob

https://youtu.be/S0O15uI7LEE
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    You could certainly get it to the go kart stage within a month working evenings as long as you don't modify stuff along the way. It all depends on what you want and your desired level of good enough vs perfection or somewhere in between.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    You could certainly get it to the go kart stage within a month working evenings as long as you don't modify stuff along the way. It all depends on what you want and your desired level of good enough vs perfection or somewhere in between.
    I agree with this^

Also, the condition of your parts and availability of your hardware will make or break a built this that's tight on time IMO.

Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ian, these are just as stated above. And the devil is in the detail. If your slam it together then you have to expect the comments you hear about the build!
    I have three days. 24 hours in my fire wall.image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides the professionals, this was one of the fastest home build threads I've seen:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-build-thread

It took them 3 weeks from the time of kit arrival to go-kart stage with all of the parts prep done ahead of time. So it is possible but for your first 818, you'd have to fully dedicate your time around the clock for that month and make sure you've done your research and all of the donor parts prep. Then there's the body work. So it can be done but IMO you'll end up with a lower quality car if you try to rush things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice guys. I should have mentioned I am definitely not doing paint within that month. I think you are right in the fact that it comes down to detail and quality. Since I have done most of the donor work I think I should have enough time. I essentially have ~10 hours a day of time for the car, if not even more, so that might give me a chance. DMC, I can see why that took so long, it looks amazing!
    @ Bob, thanks for the tip, I just watched a couple of them and they seem to be very helpful