Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front tow hook

Post Thanks / Like

Front tow hook

Has anyone given any thought to a front tow hook? I would like to have a way to winch the car on a trailer. There is no good spot that is accessible once the car is done. Any thought on this? Also tying down the front is no easy task. Any reason I cannot strap through the wheels?
    Thanks Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good question about the front. I strap my STi down by going through the wheels. I have sleeves that contact the rim and distribute the load and keep the strap from chafing. I got them at a trucking supply house. I've been doing it that way for a few years with no problems. I do have bolted on chocks at the front and I cross strap the ones in the rear. I've considered adding a strap from the center rear straight back as an added safety factor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also strap my Mustang down from the wheels (crisscrossed) and use the same style sleeves that Glyn uses. Works great. Of course, I've got an easy extra inch of clearance more on the Mustang than the 818R, so that may change things...

Might want to have a luck at what Plavan and Brando have done. I'm pretty sure they've both trailered their cars already.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very interested to see what people say about this. I was wondering this myself.

There has to be a bar we can put a tow hook on somewhere!

Post Thanks / Like
    along the same lines (as the title anyway), what are people doing for track days as a front tow point? is the tow point on most of the safety trucks high enough that you could strap to the roll bar even with the windshield in place?

Post Thanks / Like
    So are you looking for tie down or tow hook, as I would do them differently as they have different purposes.

Some folks are using the roll cage on the R as the tow hook, much like the open wheelers do. The other approach would be to use a tow hook like the challenge car and come through the hood as you can attach to the cross bar in the front.

Tie downs I would use a ringlet attached to the lower A frame bolts
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I want a tow hook so I can pull it up on a trailer. Or if I ever break down, the tow truck has something to latch onto.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    A trick Dick Smith showed me on his Cobra, he simply welded a chain hook to the front of the 4" round tube frame. Then when he winched #198 into his trailer he hooked a short length of chain (attached to winch cable) onto the hook and pulled it in. He used the same hook to pull the front end tight to the tire stops. I figure if it worked for him - it works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The frame is pretty much not accessible from underneath. Its all close off. Plus the car is so low that you would never crawl under there to hook anything up. I was hoping for something in the radiator opening. Problem is, the nearest strong frame rail is on the other side of the radiator.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    The frame is pretty much not accessible from underneath. Its all close off. Plus the car is so low that you would never crawl under there to hook anything up. I was hoping for something in the radiator opening. Problem is, the nearest strong frame rail is on the other side of the radiator.
    Mike
    If your not looking to lift the car or pull it out of a ditch or mud then I would attach a tow strap to the 2x2 under the steering rack and route the tow strap to the front of the car
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress