FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Airbag light

Post Thanks / Like

Airbag light

I like most other 818 builders have deleted the entire air bag system from my car. Anyone know how to turn off the air bag light on the dash?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Search nasioc. There is a resistor you can add to the wiring.

Post Thanks / Like
    don't even need a resistor. you just need to run 12v power to a specific wire in the instrument cluster. i'll double check which wire. can you confirm what year? mine is a 2004.

Post Thanks / Like
    looked at the schematic again. i think you run switched power to the Green/Red wire at PIN B18 on the instrument cluster. I believe I achieved this just by running a jumper from C7 (Red/White) to the green/red wire, but I will double check my notes and the car tonight if nobody else chimes in in the meantime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    looked at the schematic again. i think you run switched power to the Green/Red wire at PIN B18 on the instrument cluster. I believe I achieved this just by running a jumper from C7 (Red/White) to the green/red wire, but I will double check my notes and the car tonight if nobody else chimes in in the meantime.
    Yep that will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Search nasioc. There is a resistor you can add to the wiring.
    The people that have to run resistors are for those that take out an airbag and need the airbag system to still work without it.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh good to know. I have a while before I'm there but that makes it easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    06-01-2014, 12:35 PM #8
    I finally got around to playing around with it.

"Wiring B18 directly to 12V turns off the airbag light and doesn't fry anything. B18 runs to pin 13 on i2 - the connector on the instrument panel harness with the pins rather than the sockets. I tried various resistors between the pin and 12V and anything 220 ohms or less works - the trigger voltage is around 10 volts. That tells me it's supposed to be wired to 12V."

Quote Originally Posted by iWire View Post

The people that have to run resistors are for those that take out an airbag and need the airbag system to still work without it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iWire View Post

So Brian... if we bought a wire harness from you has this "fix" been implemented? (As he waits for his harness to come back from iWire this FRIDAY!)
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    could you not just un solder the LED buld in the cluster? I removed a few bulbs in mine but I have not powered it up yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is good easy to follow info. I did this to two 818's today. Lol. As I read this I'm thinking that this would be a great warning light for something else, such high intake air temp. Could also use the seat belt light for something cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all. I will try to wire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    So Brian... if we bought a wire harness from you has this "fix" been implemented? (As he waits for his harness to come back from iWire this FRIDAY!)
    That it would. ;D
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Tomorrow is scheduled delivery, in CT this AM, almost here!!!!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Success! Jumping the Red/Wh. and Green/Red wires did, in fact, turn off the Air Bag light in my '02 gauge cluster. The only difference was that I found the wires coming from the i1 connector not the i2.

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, the ABS computer also can trigger the parking brake light. I had to ground the Sky Blue wire at i1 pin 12 to get it working right. The manual diagrams this very poorly.
    Last edited by Jaime; 05-01-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am having a hard time identifying the correct wires to jumper together to turn off the Airbag light on my 2003 WRX cluster. Do I jumper the Green/Red Wire on my I11 plug that is connected to the cluster? (one of the Green connectors) or do I have to trace the Green/red wire that is on I11 in slot 18 to somewhere else? I found the green red wire on the I1 white connector, do I just have to jumper that to any red/white wire?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    My Green/Red was on i2 and Red/White was on i1, but the 2004 and earlier wiring diagrams have the Red/White on the same connector. Strangely, my set of manuals has both on i2 for the 2004 model year and both on i1 for 2002. My service manual set doesn't even acknowledge that model year 2003 exists.

I wouldn't trust just jumpering to any RW. At least check to make sure you get 12 volts when the ignition is on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not having success getting my parking brake light to work. The jumper worked to get the air bag warning light off, but no luck with the e brake light. my i1 pin 12 is green / yellow and did not like a ground and did not solve the issue (2003 wagon) There is no sky blue wire. On my schematic the parking brake / brake fluid level warning switch is B19 which is red / white. What also further confuses me is that my schematic has B3 as the ABS control module, but there is no wire / pin on B3? I traced the wire from the e brake (light green) to the gauge pod and the brake fluid connection and all seems right, any body have advice?