FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just how many of the completed 818s out there will be able to be licensed legally

Post Thanks / Like

Just how many of the completed 818s out there will be able to be licensed legally

95% completed my 818S chassis #55. Problem is State of Wisconsin will not register it since not replica of a car older than 20 years.
    My question is how many people have been able to register the vehicle in their states. I believe Alabama is one state. I think there are going to be many, many, many builders/ owners who will have completed a non-registerable car. A rather expensive garage decoration to say the least. So again, what states have allowed 818 licensing/registration, inspection?

Post Thanks / Like
    A quick look says in WI, you need to apply as a custom built vehicle, not a replica or hotrod.

Most states should allow for registration with enough legwork.
    -Andrew

Building 818S/R #297 with Tamra
    08 Mazdaspeed3 | '12 F800R | '97 Miata

Post Thanks / Like
    There are several registered in California, Nevada, Alabama, Texas and Arizona that I know of. Hopefully many people around the US will post here to help fill your half empty glass.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisL View Post
    95% completed my 818S chassis #55. Problem is State of Wisconsin will not register it since not replica of a car older than 20 years.
    My question is how many people have been able to register the vehicle in their states. I believe Alabama is one state. I think there are going to be many, many, many builders/ owners who will have completed a non-registerable car. A rather expensive garage decoration to say the least. So again, what states have allowed 818 licensing/registration, inspection?
    I would start here:http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitle..._16-Apr-14.pdf. SEMA has done a great job of gathering most, if not all, the information needed for each State. Then, log onto WI's DMV site and research custom vehicles, home built, special construction etc.

Good luck,

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    In Texas, the regs. say a "Replica" has to "resemble"....an older vehicle.

I used that to get my 818S registered as a "replica" with custom vehicle plates that exempt me from any future inspections (safety or emissions). Check my posts.

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope to be going through this in MA very shortly. Will let you know what happens.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    RIimage.jpg, was pretty easy to get done
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very easy IMO in Florida.

IMO one should do his homework before he orders a kit. That way there are no surprises. It is easy to get caught up wanting to build a cool car, but like anything you have to do your homework first. JMO.
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-27-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Michigan is a piece of cake. It's called an assembled vehicle here. I've made golf carts, side by sides, and dirt bikes street legal. I think Arizona is the most lenient with this sort of stuff.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7...5476--,00.html

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem in Colorado. MCO, FFR invoice, receits for wheels, tires, drive train and a safety inpection by the state patrol. Finally bunch of paper work for some very fussy clerks! The process is a couple of months long.
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by freds View Post
    In Texas, the regs. say a "Replica" has to "resemble"....an older vehicle.

I used that to get my 818S registered as a "replica" with custom vehicle plates that exempt me from any future inspections (safety or emissions). Check my posts.

fred
    What did you say it was a replica of?
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need to do some more research (that you should have done before getting the kit). You have to think like a bearucrat. Yea, it's not a replica, it's Homemade according to Wisconsin (less than 10 minutes of googling):

http://www.dot.state.wi.us/statepatr...n/homemade.htm

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code...rans/305/I/065

http://search.wi.gov/cs.html?url=htt...scon&n=1&la=en

http://www.dot.state.wi.us/drivers/v...l/hobbyist.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Dennis,

In Wisconsin, try the "Hobbyist" License Plate designation as that one is relatively flexible. It will still have to be inspected and given a State VIN number, but should otherwise pass muster. Basically it has to have a hand brake and possibly a windshield wiper. The only restriction on Hobbyist plates is that you not drive the car in January - and unless you own snow tires, that shouldn't be a problem!

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers...l/hobbyist.htm
    Look at the "Home Made Motorized Vehicles" designation. What's extra nice is that it's a one-time fee. Once registered and licensed, it is good for as long as you own it with no annual renewals. Plates are transferable to another vehicle, too so you can keep your Plate #. One added benefit is that it is close to the Packer's color scheme (green and gold).

I've registered each of my FFR cars as Hobbyist and have had no problem. Each time I registered my cars (one a full competition Challenge series car and the other the '33 street rod) the "inspection" was to verify that the VIN tag had been properly fastened in the correct place. Both officers upon inspection of the plate said things like "Nice Paint!" or "How much Horsepower?" No challenges on lack of hand brake on the Challenge Series car, no DOT windshield, no wipers, etc. On the '33 no challenges on the lack of wipers or essentially anything.

I also registered two '50s era Jaguars in full race trim under the Hobbyist designation and got plates in the mail without any inspection since they already had VIN plates. (again no DOT windscreens, wipers or hand brakes and not even DOT tires in one case.) I've never been stopped in any of my Hobbyist cars, even when out-of-state driving these cars.

I think you'll be fine if you designate the "Hobbyist" plate registration.

Best regards,
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 04-28-2015 at 02:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great to hear Tom. I was slightly concerned about someday having to get a VIN in WI. You haven't built a registered an 818 yet though here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi T, Re: You haven't built or registered an 818 yet though here?

Nope, not yet but it's a future possibility. First I have to pass the idea by the Registration Wife. She already thinks I have too many pistons available to me!

Best regards, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I am now registered in Maryland. I needed a VIN inspection by the State Police and a safety inspection by a private garage. I will need to report to the emissions station in the future. My car is likely to pass since but kit cars are exempt.

Post Thanks / Like
    So again, what states have allowed 818 licensing/registration, inspection?
    You can add your neighbors to the south to the list - Illinois allows registration. Fairly easy process once you get over the waiting while they process paperwork (I'd say it was around 5-6 weeks from my initial phone call until license plates were at my door).

Post Thanks / Like

How to register in IL?!?

Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    You can add your neighbors to the south to the list - Illinois allows registration. Fairly easy process once you get over the waiting while they process paperwork (I'd say it was around 5-6 weeks from my initial phone call until license plates were at my door).
    Which process did you go through to register the 818 in Illinois? I'm struggling to get a Exocet registered under the specially constructed vehicle process as they are demanding NHTSA certification.

Is this the route you went, or how did you register in IL?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Special Constructed Vehicle process is what I used, correct. Have you gotten in touch with the specific guy that handles them? When I registered mine, it was a single person that handled all of them, but I think I heard he left. Anybody else you talked to had no clue.

You should have received a packet of information from the Secretary of State including Form VSD 843. Once you get in touch with the right person, it is a fairly simple process, just involves quite a few steps and a bit of back and forth (unless they changed something yet again). Ultimately you just need to prove out where each major component comes from, then get an inspection from the secretary of state police (they come to your house).

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/p...ons/vsd843.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with Alan who seemed to know the process very well (been in the position a few years at least) but it was his supervisor Debbie who apparently does the "research" to determine if a vehicle meets standards or not. Did you have any issues with "NHTSA certification" or just submitted the MCO for the 818 frame and donor info? I assume the frame had NO VIN on it, just a serial number from the MCO correct?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jmills View Post
    I spoke with Alan who seemed to know the process very well (been in the position a few years at least) but it was his supervisor Debbie who apparently does the "research" to determine if a vehicle meets standards or not. Did you have any issues with "NHTSA certification" or just submitted the MCO for the 818 frame and donor info? I assume the frame had NO VIN on it, just a serial number from the MCO correct?

Thanks!
    Exactly. No mention of nhtsa certification by them. They may be trying to react to the new federal law for small volume manufacturers, but it shouldn't apply to kits.

Post Thanks / Like
    what states have allowed 818 licensing/registration, inspection?

Indiana gave me a VIN and plates and let me register it. It still hasn't moved under its own power. Haha! (I mean...it's not funny I haven't finished yet, but it is funny they let me register it).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Another One Hits the Pavement! I just got a VIN, title and plates from the Arizona DMV this morning! It took 5 boring hours to get the level 2 inspection, paperwork, and all. They copied all receipts in my 3-inch file of receipts - even the little receipts for nuts and bolts from Ace Hardware and Lowe's! But, my 818 is classified as a "2013 SPECO" (special construction) so I don't have to get emissions tests. (whew).

This thread was started by DennisL when he was frustrated by licensing nearly a year ago. Hey, Dennis, did you ever get plates?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I would start here:http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitle..._16-Apr-14.pdf. SEMA has done a great job of gathering most, if not all, the information needed for each State. Then, log onto WI's DMV site and research custom vehicles, home built, special construction etc.

Good luck,

Ray
    Ray,

Your post has been extremely helpful! I am about to go through Illinois registration which doesn't seem bad, but that link surely helped... so, here it is again by state: http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA

Also helpful: http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten..._bill&g=SEMAGA

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to register my 818 in Georgia. I did a write-up on it here: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...car-in-Georgia

Post Thanks / Like
    I completed registration & titling of my build in Maryland as a two-stage vehicle.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    I completed registration & titling of my build in Maryland as a two-stage vehicle.
    Two-stage vehicle? That's a new term to me... from a quick googlin' just reconstructed, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Two stage means Booster Rockets?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Maryland description of two stage vehicle means there are two manufacturers where reconstructed is a vehicle created by the unique alteration of a standard vehicle. Semantics, but I think a different body on an existing frame would be a reconstruction; but since there is a frame provided by FFR & engine/drive components from Subaru it meets the definition of two-stage. At least that is how I was registered (I think, it was actually never written on paperwork I saw).

Maryland, no space industry here - but we like "putting on airs".
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you read through this: http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitle..._16-Apr-14.pdf ?

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    soon to be 3 registered in Maine...

Like others have indicated, read the rules, go through the steps, some places are easier than others
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14