FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ben's 818S Build - Donor Dirty Deeds

Post Thanks / Like

Ben's 818S Build - Donor Dirty Deeds

Hello everyone! I just embarked on the path to a new 818S. I have donor (partly disassembled already) sitting in my driveway. It's a 2004 WRX with 128k miles (allegedly) with a couple of performance baubles bolted on. The car is very clean inside, and the engine bay seems to be fairly clean as well, so I am hopeful that the owners took somewhat good care of it. I have not performed any tests.....hoping for the best but ready to deal with what may come (I think!).

My kit has been ordered and is due 5/30/15. I will be picking it up as I live just north of Boston, a little over an hour from FFR. I received wheels and padded dash/door kit as part of FFR's 20th anniversary sales event. I have always wanted to partake in one of these sales events and I finally got my wish!

I already have questions for any would-be helpful builders out there. I have already received help from Tamra and XXguitarist, Kalstar, Quiny, and StiPWRD....thanks to them all for their help so far!

I am taking pictures and will post some soon. I am really looking forward to building this car. I plan to keep it close to stock with no planned performance mods.....in fact, I was hoping to see if I can be close to or at the fabled $15k mark. My donor cost $3500...hope to recover some of that with parts sales. Kit and accessories total $11,483 so far. I may not make it, but I hope to keep costs under control!

I will follow Tamra and XXguitarist's leads and run with this donor part stripping and prepping thread until kit build begins, and then will start a new thread.

Glad to be here!

-Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Some dis-assembly has occurred....previous owner mounted these cross-drilled rotors....nothing great, but brand new. I will be starting out with them.

Like the plasti-dipped look? The entire car was painted in this stuff apparently! PO had been stripping it all off...never finished. I have not tried to clean it off yet, but I will try to.

IMG_4439.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    good luck with the build Ben. Lots of good info on the forum. Fun starts with the donor!
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a pretty nice looking donor, welcome Ben and enjoy the journey!

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you have a lot of garage space (enough for an 818 and a donor), or a lot of time on your hands to get the donor pulled apart and out! 3 weeks to pickup!!! I think we had 6 months.

Your donor looks like a great find.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    donor may occupy space in driveway under tarp for a little while.....

I will do my best to strip it before kit arrives, but it is unlikely I suppose! I have doors, hood, and trunk off. About to pull seat belts and seats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm South of Boston (Hingham) and would be happy to share anything gained from my experience. Am about to start body installation, go karted a few weeks ago. Anxiously awaiting to hear how Mike Everson's trip to the RMV went.
    Ivan

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben I am south of Boston (North Attleboro), we have a few builders down this way. Between Mike E, Ivan and myself you will have some local support. I am doing the same thing with trying to keep costs down. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I broke the connector off a sensor mounted just behind the grill. Is it a temp sensor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also have an unused connector on passenger side of engine bay. Does anyone know what it is or if I am missing something? As I dig into the car I see some craftsmanship that suggests someone has dug into the car before me! I hope they didnt hurt anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    My secret weapon helped gut much of the interior. I am amazed at the shear complexity and size of the wire harness! I am an electrical engineer and it intimidates me! I am glad there are so many who have run down this path and are willing to share what they have learned. I know I will be asking many questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a few of the tools I used to get the down pipe/cat off the car and separated from the rest of the pipes. It was one of the fights I had this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    The intercooler support bracket is held on by two bolts into the transaxle housing. One was in place....one was sheared off.. I did not take any pictures, but what I did to get it out was: 1. ground it flush/flat, 2. center punched it carefully, 3. Drilled it out 15/64, 4. Placed a nut over the hole, centered, 5. Mig welded the nut to the drilled out bolt stub, 6. wrenched out stub. I had to try 5 times, but finally got it. Welds kept breaking. It was very satisfying when it came out!

I then replaced missing bolt and used bracket to mount hoist chain.

Post Thanks / Like
    All electrical connections have been labeled and disconnected. All plumbing has been disconnected. Just need to remove hardware holding in suspension and lower the mess down. My plan is to leave assembly on the ground and then use gantry to lift body up to pull engine forward. I was thinking it might be a good idea to lower engine on a dolly of some sort to facilitate this. Any other suggestions out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiny View Post
    Ben I am south of Boston (North Attleboro), we have a few builders down this way. Between Mike E, Ivan and myself you will have some local support. I am doing the same thing with trying to keep costs down. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
    Thanks Quniy! I know I will be asking for help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
    I hope you have a lot of garage space (enough for an 818 and a donor), or a lot of time on your hands to get the donor pulled apart and out! 3 weeks to pickup!!! I think we had 6 months.

Your donor looks like a great find.
    We'll see Tamra. I wont be surprised if there is significant engine/trans work to be done. Someone definitely messed around with this car, at least to repair after an accident. How much was repaired I dont know, but it was definitely worked on.

Post Thanks / Like
    My turbo's flange was cracked off....its missing an entire bolt hole. I have no experience with turbos, but my OCD side says I need to put a new turbo on now....

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    I broke the connector off a sensor mounted just behind the grill. Is it a temp sensor?
    looks like the keyless entry beeper, connector F102.

Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    My turbo's flange was cracked off....its missing an entire bolt hole. I have no experience with turbos, but my OCD side says I need to put a new turbo on now....
    yes, you need a new turbo.

great progress though.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 05-11-2015 at 06:04 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great excuse for a new turbo!!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch a big chunk fell off!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021