Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Andy's Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Andy's Build Thread

Haven't officially introduced myself on the forum but have spent a lot of time reading your posts, build threads and following your advice on building up my Stage 1 part of the kit. My build will be a long one due to my job which keeps me out of town 4-5 days a week, I have maybe 5-10 hours on weekends and an occasional evening to make some progress. I work for a hotel management company, we have 85 hotels that we either own or manage plus I have another six being built. I am what is referred to as a "Corporate Region Engineer". The hotels I am responsible for go as far south as Birmingham AL, north to Albany NY, west to Phoenix AZ so yes I rack up a few Sky Miles . Picked up my '33 on March 21st, been working on it in my spare time, having a blast so far.

Been involved with the Nissan 300ZX Clubs both nationally worldwide forums for the past 8 years. Sold my Superwhite 490hp/475tq car back in January to a young man down the road (I-75) that is studying to be an Air Force pilot down in Warner Robbins. I have told the wife for the last 30 years that I would have me a '33-34 Ford Hot Rod before I died. My plan right now is to build a full-fender, super white, silver interior with the same engine combo I had in the 300zx. Not sure if I can keep this route because I really like small block's in these cars........your thoughts?

Anyway, a couple of photos:

The 300ZX that I sold, 8 year build:

1964 Stepside I have been building for my sister the past eight months, bare metal (clear coated) 350/350 combo:

Bare frame in the garage:

Where I am at today with the build:

All the aluminum panels are just sitting there mocked up, any reason not to mark them up and rivet them in? Going to be till December before I purchase wheels and tires, next spring for either the drive train or the body. Can't make up my mind on the drive train or body........be a shame if FFR goes under, then I have once nice go cart with no body . I have seen a couple of you guys are close to me (Chattanooga), one in Huntsville and one in Asheville. We have hotels there, the Sheraton at the Airport in Huntsville, the Aloft in Asheville are a couple of ours. Next time I'm in the area I would love to see your builds first hand.
    Last edited by Andy33tt; 05-17-2015 at 09:13 PM.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andy, nice truck, I love those old stepsides. Those curved aluminum panels at the rear have to go in later after you fit the body. They just get in the way of everything. Riv nuts are a blessing here. I bought packs of various sizes. The small ones are handy for the thin aluminum. Couple extra steps on fit up, but, worth it later. I ran my exhaust up over the rear differential and mounted other things under the tank so that aluminum would just have been in the way during that part of the build. mine is still fastened with cleco's for now. I also used the boyd tank and that requires a mod to one of those panels. If your going for a non design engine and tranny its best to leave the sheet metal off for awhile.
    Its easier to route the 5" exhaust from the twin turbo's that way

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Andy, nice truck, I love those old stepsides.
    Its easier to route the 5" exhaust from the twin turbo's that way
    The step-side has been fun the past few months. The guy that she purchased it from lets just say was not totally "truthful" of what she purchased. I have installed a Unisteer PS unit, complete new wiring harness. Still have 2" drop springs to put on. Thanks for the advice on the trunk panel's, what about the panels around the gas tank, floor board? Ok to lock them in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun Andy,
    Ok to mark your aluminum where the frame rails are but in my opinion I don't think it would be a good idea to rivet them in yet; for one thing it's a lot easier to install the drive train and the exhaust and the wiring without the aluminum floor installed. You can go ahead and install the firewall and it won't interfere with anything to be installed later.

Good luck and have fun on your build.

Nevin
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Nevin, looks like I have a few boring months coming up.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had it to do over..I would do the body first while I built the engine and transmission. A lot easier to keep everything clean that way too.