FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine Overheating Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Overheating Problem

Engine is a stock 4.6 DOHC from an 04 Mach1. Radiator is an alluminum FFR with the 16" fan that came with the kit; I did not install a fan shroud. For the first time in two years (track days included), I experienced overheating (210 deg) while in heavy stop & go traffic in the city on an 88 degree day. Would a shroud have prevented this problem or might there be another issue?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shroud is the way to go. On the 2 V-8 FFR cars I built I used a shroud and no over heating problems. Even with A/C in 95 degree Florida heat. Breeze makes one. As do other vendors IMO.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I probably have the same aluminum FFR radiator as you. I installed a two fan system with integrated shroud. I remember attaching the shroud assembly to the back of the radiator using care to make it very solid. The fans put out a lot of cfm. The system was from Summit Racing. One innovative thing is the use of baffles that allow the air to pass thru the shroud at speed so there is no restriction. When you are at rest, the rubber baffles close to enhance the pull of the two fans. I installed separate fan relays for each fan in case one goes bad, it won't shut the whole thing down. I'm in AZ so I have similar heat issues but usually without the humidity. Mine cycles between 180 and 200 degrees. I've sat in the garage to monitor it. When I am running during the cooler days, it stays at about 175 and 180 on warmer days. I put the kit aluminum on the sides and at the bottom of the radiator. I also added a top piece that goes from the radiator to the nose of the body, attached using silicone. Now there is no air escaping over the top of the radiator. I still think I need to finish off the small places where some air leaks by the radiator. But all in all, it works pretty well. I also have a 5.0 which may not require quite as much cooling capacity as your modular. BTW: I was surprised to read that a 5.0 runs best at 195 degrees. I guess I will just have to suffer.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Lack of a shroud was probably a big contributor to your overheating condition when the car was for the most part stationary. When you're moving of course you get airflow over the entire radiator core whether it is shrouded or not however when you are stationary or just creeping without a shroud the fan is only moving air across that 16" diameter area. With a shroud the fan pulls air over the entire core. I've used the Breeze one on all of the cars I've built.

Jeff