FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Titling your car in Virginia

Post Thanks / Like

Titling your car in Virginia

I'm posting this to hopefully help my fellow Virginians. I dropped off my package yesterday to DMV, but it wasn't without a bunch of research, a few calls, and some PM's. Here is what I have found out:

There are two ways to deliver your package for the title 1)in-person, or 2)mail. As I live just outside of Richmond I chose in-person. At first I called the DMV and they told me to go to any office with picture of the car, MSO, and VA-22 and then I would need to mail my package. I went to a local DMV who couldn't understand why I was there. But they did direct me to the right place, so here goes:

You want to go to 2300 W Broad Street in Richmond, the DMV HQ. Once there, you go to the Security Guard, not the Information window where the general public goes, and ask for Salvage/Branding. Specifically say Salvage as they didn't recognize Branding. Someone will come down from the 2nd floor to pick up your package. At this point you need to be real nice because when I asked if someone could look over my package to tell me if it was complete the lady said no, she was just there to pick it up and the lady upstairs who reviews them is too busy. Be nice and be persistent. It worked for me. She agreed to at least ask her. After several minutes the reviewer came down and had highlighted a couple of boxes I missed on the form as well as recalculated my Sales and Use tax. I had included freight from my invoices and she backed it out - so she saved me about $100! She also walked me through the next steps and was the first DMV official to answer the Antique plates question for me in a way that made sense (based on the new statute the replica build date is the current date so 20 years from now it will qualify, but not today).

What you need: (all originals so make your own copies before you go)
    -Factory Five MSO
    -VA Form 22 and 17A (no need to fill in GVW and other weight boxes). I left the VIN boxes blank but she informed me my VIN will be the MSO number and I could use the FFR VIN plate provided
    -pictures of the car, side and front
    -notarized statement of how you built it (thanks to Ron - Damn Yankee for guidance on this being very, very specific)
    -original invoices for the kit, engine, transmission, rear axle, and I included major options that cost over $200

I was told that she will process it in the next couple of days and an inspection agent has 7-14 business days to do the inspection. Once he affixes the VIN plate, it will take 48 hours to clear in the system and then I can go into any DMV office to obtain my license plates and registration.

I hope this is helpful. I will post it in the other forum too.
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this ... I am going to be starting the process soon and it looks like a two hour drive to Richmond is well worth it!
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for this post! Also, since you are on the street now, you should try to make it out to Cars and Coffee in Richmond. It moved this week to the Regency Mall. I'd love to chat with other FF builders in the area!
    FFR Build Status: Reset button hit
    '03 Subaru Impreza eSi RHD...because Japan

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG....Hugely helpful. I was working on my packet last night and you just answered several questions. Sending you a PM as well. Thanks for posting!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Smithbks,

In your note you mention that the DMV contact helped you recalculate your taxes. I don't see anywhere in the paper work where I need to calculate my taxes. Am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary, PM sent.

The taxes are 4.05% Sales and Use tax calculated on your kit, engine, axle, and transmission, plus any other major components. If you have a donor it would be the cost of the donor in that. Don't include shipping and handling. You need to include your check when you submit.
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE: The DMV inspector just left my house and me with Title in hand!!! I will take it to the DMV tomorrow afternoon and pick up my tags. You apparently have to wait for 24-48 hours for the system to be updated. Less than two weeks from paperwork to title isn't bad. I am REALLY looking forward to driving it tomorrow evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, great progress. We need pics and/or video. Well done!
    JR

Post Thanks / Like
    Just came across this thread. Can you share where you found information on what the car needed in order to be titled in va? For example, some states require windshield wipers while others do not. I haven't been successful in locating a black and white requirements list.

Thanks for the info here.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me ( I went through getting my Md titled FFR as a 2005 changed to a 65 Va title) this is the operative phrase:
    "Such vehicles shall meet such safety and emission requirements as established for the model year of which the vehicle is a replica."
    That comes from here:
    http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/46.2-602.1/
    Re: the question of wipers..I am pretty sure all 65s had wipers so you need them along with seat belts. that's what my car has along w/ all the usual working lights except for reverse lights. Passed VA safety inspection fine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I typed my message for a 2nd time I left out an important fact. I'm building an 818, which isn't a replica of anything. It would be much easier to build to 1965 specs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe all of your specs would be under the Specialized Vehicle category. You may want to just call the Salvage department and ask. It always amuses me that it is housed in the Salvage dept...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread but probably won't be registering my 818 til 2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbks View Post
    I believe all of your specs would be under the Specialized Vehicle category. You may want to just call the Salvage department and ask. It always amuses me that it is housed in the Salvage dept...
    That may be where I went wrong in the past. I attempted to call DMV once before and they directed me to a state trooper to email and he replied that it had to have everything a modern car had, without going into depth at all.

I'll see what the salvage department has to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Smithbks,

I am about to start the process for titling my MK IV in Virginia, and have a few questions I hope you can answer (and want to thank you for all the info in this thread). I downloaded all the required forms from the DMV website, but wonder if you can tell me more about the "detailed notarized statement stating how the vehicle was constructed." Can you give me a rough outline or list of info that should be in there, or even a copy of yours? Also, for the "Vehicle Information" section on forms 22 and 17A, what do you put for year, make and model? The MCO says 1965 Replica, Factory Five Racing, Inc. and MK4 Roadster for these, with a Body Type of Roadster, 2 door. Is that what I should use?

Thanks in advance,

OldA4Guy
    Jim K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely use 1965 as the year. This helps in several ways. 1-Safety inspection per 1965 requirements. 2-Emission inspection requirements per 1965 requirements. There were NO emissions inspections in 1965 so a huge win. When you go to DMV to tag your car their computer kicks out an emissions requirement for anything after a certain year. The people at that level have no option to get around it. 3- Option to get either standard or antique tags. Standard requires an annual safety inspection but has no mileage limits. Antique means no safety inspection but does have some driving limitations in addition to mileage. 4- Better resale value.
    I would fill in the form like this;
    Year 1965
    Make Factory Five Racing
    Model Roadster
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim K.,

I agree with CraigS that you want to fill out everything as 1965. However, the law changed a few years ago that will affect you. Your car will be titled as a 2016 which means you cannot get antique plates or be exempt from inspections. But your inspections will not require all the new car stuff on emissions, etc. Even after being informed of this I still tried to get antique plates and couldn't . The title they issue you is a 2016 year (even though the model is 1965) and there is nothing you can do about it. But, I am convinced that the replica statutes allow some flexibility in that you shouldn't have to have a front license plate because the original did not. I keep a copy of the statute in my glove box just in case but I haven't had any problems.

As to the notarized statement, be as detailed as possible with phrases such as "the shocks were attached using xx bolts mounted to the frame. The disc brakes were mounted to the spindles..." etc. If your letter is about 3 pages or more you have enough. I don't think there is a formal requirement and I'm sure someone has done less. The trick seems to be detailed enough so that they can tell you built the car and covered all of the major points. They are papering their files just like everyone else. My actual inspection was about 5 minutes, and that was how long it took to drill the holes and mount the rivets for the VIN plate. He didn't even walk around the car.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CraigS and Smithbks, I will follow the advice of both of you, sticking with 1965 and writing a 3 page tome about building the car. One last question - do y'all think it's worth trying to file the title app at my local DMV (either Sterling or Tysons Corner), or is a trip to Richmond really necessary?

Thanks,

Jim K

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be starting my build in October so I am awhile off from this process. I live in Yorktown but will be dropping my paperwork off in person in Richmond. It is my understanding that a kit car can only be driven 5000 miles per year in Virginia, is this a reasonable amount of miles?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I will be starting my build in October so I am awhile off from this process. I live in Yorktown but will be dropping my paperwork off in person in Richmond. It is my understanding that a kit car can only be driven 5000 miles per year in Virginia, is this a reasonable amount of miles?

Thanks.
    Yes 5000 is plenty but see my remarks about antique vs regular tags. I don't 'think' there is any mileage limit on regular tags. The other factor is your insurance which may have limits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Yes 5000 is plenty but see my remarks about antique vs regular tags. I don't 'think' there is any mileage limit on regular tags. The other factor is your insurance which may have limits.
    CraigS

I copied this from the current Virginia Code for building a replica:

§ 46.2-602.1. Titling and registration of replica vehicles.
    Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the model year of vehicles constructed or assembled by multiple manufacturers or assemblers shall be the model year of which the vehicle is a replica. No vehicle titled under this section shall be driven more than 5,000 miles per year as shown by the vehicle's odometer.

I also found this article about it:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/22/v...title-process/

just fyi,
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I went though this almost exactly 2 yrs ago moving from Md. Unfortunately I just checked and the manager I ended up dealing with is no longer on the org chart. At that time he was aware that the law had changed about 2007 and he was also aware that the DMV regulations were not up to date. Perhaps they are now. I was going to give you some info but apparantly all my links to the DMV regulations are now bad and don't work. 2 yrs ago the title work had to be done by the Salvage people in Richmond. There were 2-3 forms to fill out and sent in along w/ pictures. I do have the email for the Va Trooper who came by to verify my serial number so perhaps he can be helpful.
    [email protected]
    Remember this is 2 yr old info so he may have moved etc. Good luck.
    Also realize that while title and tag is usually rolled into what seems like one transaction on your daily driver, they are actually distinct and completely seperate. The title comes first. Once you have that, the tags can be done very normally through your local DMV office. Also they have a very well done system on the web for picking special plates if you like at a very reasonable fee. You can pick a logo from hundreds of organisations, colleges, hobbies, etc and then you can pick your actual numbers/letters. On the website they allow you to type in what you want and it will then tell you if that is still available of if someone else already chose it. For instance my initials are CS so my tag reads 'CS Cobra'. If you want a special tag, do that at home before you go to the DMV. Then when you go there, they will give you a paper temp tag and you get your special tag in metal in the mail 2 weeks or so later. Really nicely done system.
    BTW, sometimes those speedo cables aren't so secure and can come loose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to answer my own question about trying to get your VIN assigned by going to your local VA DMV vs. Richmond, I discovered today that local DMVs are not authorized to do this job - you must either go to Richmond or send your paperwork there. Our local Tysons Corner DMV folks were very nice, and verified that I had all the necessary documents, but pointed out that the downloadable instruction sheet ("Titling a Reconstructed, Specially Constructed, or Replica Vehicle") does not include a process for getting the VIN locally. Step 6 says "Submit all documents and fees to:" the Richmond DMV address ATTN: Vehicle Branding Work Center.
    They sent me to the local Manager to see if there was a way around this, and she advised that no, I'd have to mail the stuff in or deliver it myself. She did say that "if you mail it, make sure you send it Certified Mail and keep a copy of everything - that way you'll have proof that they received it." Good advice.
    After you get your visit from the inspector and receive your VIN and title, as CraigS points out above, you can go to your local DMV to get plates.

The online instruction sheet was updated as of Sept 5 2016, and references VA Code §46.2-602.1 saying "Replica vehicles may not be driven more than 5,000 miles each year; a state inspection must be performed and the sticker displayed on the windshield." And if your local town requires a sticker, you must have that also.

All that being said, I sent the package certified mail today. The sheet says the estimated turnaround time is 3 weeks - i'll let y'all know what happens.

24. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post