Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Almost time to start my journey

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Almost time to start my journey

Hello everyone,

I have been in love with the Cobra for as long as I can remember. I have had a few fast cars, a few fast superbikes, and, well, none of them are the Cobra. I look and just see perfection.... rough, raw, brutal perfection.

I have wanted the FFR since they first came out. But I never really had the money or the time, at least not at the same time. And I put it off to get some cheaper cars, an education, ride a few superbikes, and get married and have a kid. Well, I am pretty tired of falling off superbikes and its not something I want for my kid, who's now three. And my current bike is a Special Edition Ducati which had been a huge dream of mine. Well, let's just say it has underwhelmed in all but the looks department. My kid gets out of daycare and hits school in 8 months, freeing up around a grand a month for me..... So again, the money, but not the time. HA.

And my wife just got a 2015 Prius which gets great mileage, but may honestly be the most awful driving, uninspiring vehicle I have ever driven, let alone owned. My boy keeps telling me he misses my blue race car, a 67 mustang coupe I sold due to lack of time to devote to its needs. I miss having a cool, fun, loud car. And lets face it, living with a Ducati superbike is probably similar to living with a Cobra. Its hot, miserable to take for more than a hundred miles at a time, loud as all hell, draws WAY too much attention from everyone, and isn't made for comfort. And Im not getting any younger and I really dont want to get hit on a bike again. Do not recommend testing the car vs. bike scenario. Super sucks.

Anyway, I am here to learn about the FFR Cobra. I have gotten the info packet, and even ran up to meet with Ken at Ken's Customs in Yuba City, CA, just a few miles up the road from my house. SUPER nice guy. Very helpful. Thanks again for your time last Friday, Ken. Very insightful.

Ideally, I would love to meet up with someone around the Sacramento area who would be willing to trade some beer of their choice or some gas money for a little bit of their time and a little ride around to see exactly what I would be in for. Any suggestions or recommendations on this are very appreciated.

Also, any advice on whether its best to build one or buy one is appreciated..... I do have a bunch of time off saved up.... HA. Also, I dont know much about the SB100 process, but being that I a) am Californian, and b) work for CARB, I have to be legit. And no, I dont have anything to do with regulating cars, trucks, boats, planes, or anything that moves. I work in a voluntary incentive program for livestock operations.

I look forward to learning a lot here, and hopefully, finally, getting the car that has been on my wall or in my head for 25 years now.....

Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard, you only live once..... Make the best of the time you have.

Looking forward to watching your dream materialize. Helping out others is in fact a great way to learn and get friends at the same time. I helped on 3 GTMs before I ordered mine.

Jim
    Last edited by Kalstar; 06-15-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have been in love with the Cobra for as long as I can remember. I have wanted the FFR since they first came out. Anyway, I am here to learn about the FFR Cobra. Any suggestions or recommendations on this are very appreciated. Also, any advice on whether its best to build one or buy one is appreciated..... . Also, I dont know much about the SB100 process, but being that I a) am Californian, and b) work for CARB, I have to be legit. Stephen
    Stephen
    I have a friend in S. Cali. that is involved with CARB and another there that is an engineer and makes custom EFI's After chatting with them often about the science of emissions I can tell you that a decent EFI car will run much cleaner than any carbuerated car hands down. I also suggest you talk to Erik Hansen about the SB100 since he has built and registered two cars there in the last several years.
    Welcome
    Dale
    EFI 6 pack on a Hemi 33

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted in your other thread, but I can answer your questions about SB100. I have registered three of my own builds as well as 4 for others here in Central California.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Stephen
    I have a friend in S. Cali. that is involved with CARB and another there that is an engineer and makes custom EFI's After chatting with them often about the science of emissions I can tell you that a decent EFI car will run much cleaner than any carbuerated car hands down. I also suggest you talk to Erik Hansen about the SB100 since he has built and registered two cars there in the last several years.
    Welcome
    Dale
    EFI 6 pack on a Hemi 33
    Yeah, I havent decided on building or buying yet, but definitely going EFI. Emissions are not a concern if you go SB100 path. Really though, I want the convenience of EFI for a variety of reasons, even at the added cost. If I build, I'll be scoring a wrecked newer 5.0 mustang and using it as a donor. Copart is full of them, and you can get some money back from parting out what's left. I had my fill of carbs on motorcycles and my old mustangs...lol. I definitely appreciate the point in the right direction though. THank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    I posted in your other thread, but I can answer your questions about SB100. I have registered three of my own builds as well as 4 for others here in Central California.
    Doug
    Thank you. I will do a little bit of homework before I waste your time with silly questions I can find out. I definitely appreciate the offer though!