Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headers for SB Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Headers for SB Ford

Started laying out the exhaust system and realized that I'm missing a key item...the headers. I'm running a SB Ford (Roush 331SRX) and the manual mentions using short headers.

Any recommendations for the headers to use and ones to avoid?

Thanks, Scot

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Ford racing shorty headers work great with the FFR pipes. IMO. I bought the S/S ones and had them ceramic coated.

33087.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using a ford 351w engine in my 33. All the specs for the ford racing headers reflect the 302 engine. Do these headers from summit fit the 351. Sorry if the question sounds silly but I just want to buy these things once and the 351 is a different head than the 302 so I have to ask. the part I am looking at is "Ford Racing Hi-Flow Shorty Headers M-9430-P50" thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    I am using a ford 351w engine in my 33. All the specs for the ford racing headers reflect the 302 engine. Do these headers from summit fit the 351. Sorry if the question sounds silly but I just want to buy these things once and the 351 is a different head than the 302 so I have to ask. the part I am looking at is "Ford Racing Hi-Flow Shorty Headers M-9430-P50" thanks
    You should stay away from attempting to bolt on a 302 header on a 351 engine, or you will run into alignment/fitment issues with the rest of the exhaust, possibly engine mounts and other items, due to the fact that the 351W block has a deck height 1" taller and over than the 302 block, and is also slightly wider.

302W:
    8.2" deck height
    18.75" width

351W:
    9.2" deck height ('69 and '70)
    9.5" deck height (all other years)
    21" width

To be on the safe side, you should buy 351 headers for your 351 engine, as the headers are made with the engine's dimensions in mind. Just about every header manufacturer makes short and long-tube headers specifically for the 351W. Hope this answered your question.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the quick reply. the statement that FFR makes that "Ford Motorsport that carry exhaust headers for the installation of a
    351 Windsor into a 1986-1993 Mustang" should clear this up but trying to find a specific part number is driving me nuts. I will look again now that I know I definitely need 351 headers, not 302..
    take care and Merry Christmas..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    Thank you so much for the quick reply. the statement that FFR makes that "Ford Motorsport that carry exhaust headers for the installation of a
    351 Windsor into a 1986-1993 Mustang" should clear this up but trying to find a specific part number is driving me nuts. I will look again now that I know I definitely need 351 headers, not 302..
    take care and Merry Christmas..
    Have you tried calling Ford Racing's tech/sales line? They should provide you with a part number. I was browsing for headers for my 351W last week, and found a nice set from BBK, which comes either in chrome (P/N: 1511), or silver ceramic coat (P/N: 15110). And that is just one example, as there are many exhaust companies out there who provide headers for the 351W. Don't limit yourself to just one brand, especially if it seems like you hit a wall.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes