Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California Certificate of Sequence - SB100

Post Thanks / Like
    This is how I'm solving the PCV/dry sump conundrum. I'm waiting for the referee to approve it.

Ed

2l Subaru dry sump PCV.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
    Howdy,

You're going to have fees for registration and for junking your donor if you haven't already. The biggest expense will be use tax. You fill out a form listing what you spent on the vehicle. Anything you've already paid tax on doesn't get hit again. I made it easy for the DMV lady by making up a sort of spreadsheet which clearly showed CA sales tax paid backed up with receipts, for example tirerack. Unless you paid use tax for the kit on your income tax return, you'll be hit with state and county tax on that. There's a line on the form for miscellaneous expenses for which you have no receipts. I threw $400 in there to give them something instead of trying to say "nope, nothing".

Brake and light inspection is up to the authorized repair station. I paid about $100. CHP inspection is free. It takes a while to get an appointment. About a month in my case. I'm still dealing with the BAR referee on smog, but I don't think there is a fee.

So, the smog ref appointment line makes a telephone appointment. That was a week out for me. The ref on the phone is going to want to see all your documents via email so it makes sense to scan them into pdfs and zip them into a file that you can send him without delay. My ref sent me an email in the morning which I didn't see until we were already on the phone, so I missed that opportunity. He also is going to want pictures of the PCV setup on your car complying with the diagram in the Subaru maintenance manual. I found mine on page EC-6 in section 8, (DOHC). You could have those ready to go also and make your life a lot easier. Once he approves your paperwork and pictures, he will clear your case and you'll go back to the appointment line to make an in person inspection appointment.

Ed
    Thanks! I have been keep a spreadsheet to tabulate my rolling cost for the build. I can make sure I separate out the taxes paid and put all of the receipts in a folder for when the time comes. I still have the PCV system or it looks like it is there at least. It is basically connected to itself but hard to tell. My biggest concern is instead of a parking brake I have a line lock on the rear brakes since I have Cadillac brembos in the rear. I may have to address this before applying.

Good luck with your smog appoinment with BAR! I will be following along to see how it goes and how much of an inspection it is

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blomb11 View Post
    Thanks! I have been keep a spreadsheet to tabulate my rolling cost for the build. I can make sure I separate out the taxes paid and put all of the receipts in a folder for when the time comes. I still have the PCV system or it looks like it is there at least. It is basically connected to itself but hard to tell. My biggest concern is instead of a parking brake I have a line lock on the rear brakes since I have Cadillac brembos in the rear. I may have to address this before applying.

Good luck with your smog appoinment with BAR! I will be following along to see how it goes and how much of an inspection it is

My advice to you is to leave the spreadsheet at home. First, it will just confuse the hell out of the DMV person. Second, you will end up paying far more in registration fees than you need to. All they really want to see for cost purposes is the Statement of Construction (REG 5036). That form only asks for the cost of the kit, frame (if separate) engine and transmission. That's all they asked for, that's all I showed them, that's all they charged me taxes on.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blomb11 View Post

Howdy Blomb,

My understanding is that the e-brake must be a different system than the service brakes. That's why production cars have a drum brake setup inside the hat section of the rear rotor that's actuated via cable. I used some cable actuated Willwoods. I had to make a spacer to get the lever clear of the wheels inboard and of course custom brackets. The inspector asked if they slow me down to which I replyed "oh yes", and they do work pretty well. I'm in the San Fernando Valley if you want to swing by and see how I did it. The e-brake picture is b4 I made the spacer.

You might call a local brake and light inspector and ask him.

Ed

EdRear brake resize.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bicyclops; 06-30-2023 at 06:50 PM.

5. Thanks blomb11 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BAR Referee appointment and bad news

So I finally finally got clearance from the ref for an in person appointment. I'm set for next Thursday. Fingers crossed. The bad news is, (and it's pretty bad), last week on the date of my phone appointment my engine developed a rod knock while on the dyno for tuning. The only upside is that my tuner is the same guy who built my bottom end and he says he'll make it right if I bring him the long block. With every bit of plumbing, wiring, and assembly after the engine was mounted my mantra was I hope I never ever ever have to take the engine out again. Oh well. :-( I've been putting off having to do that while working with the BAR ref. I just want to finish the licensing process before I take it all apart for overhaul. I'm going to drag it to my appointment on a trailer.

Bummed but happy to be making progress,

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

BAR Referee appointment and U-haul trailer experience

Got it! Referee inspection was a piece of cake. The paperwork took much longer than the inspection. My ref is at Pierce College and there was no charge. We discussed where to put the sticker and wound up on the sheetmetal to the left of the driver side dead pedal. Went to the DMV and got my plates. Woohoo! Now I can take it apart to deal with that rod knock. :-(

On another topic, I used a U-haul car trailer and it worked out well. My advice would be to do the same as I did and put the car on backwards. I think the nose would hit the wheel stops if you went on forwards and you'd also wind up with the majority of the weight aft of the trailer axles. I cut a 2X12 12' in half to make demi-ramps to soften the angle for loading.

Ed

8. Likes blomb11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Sounds like you PCV system checked out as well. Was it just a visual inspection or did they plug into the OBD2 and check for codes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Took a few pix, looked at the hoses, and scrutinized my paperwork. They stuck the sticker on the car and took a picture of it and then cleared it on line to the DMV. I never inserted a key in the ignition so they didn't even look for a check engine light or ask where the OBD2 port is. I saw a set of rollers and a tailpipe probe but nobody ever mentioned using that. Pretty early in the visit, I was told that I wouldn't have to unload the car from the trailer.

By and large the phone interview was more stressful than the in person but only because I didn't understand what the PCV system was supposed to look like and hadn't made it so. Of course my PCV system is slightly more complicated because of the dry sump. If you follow the diagram in the manual and have all your paperwork scanned and emailed the morning of the phone interview, that one should be a piece of cake too.

Reading about others' experiences in the past, I'm struck by the seeming ignorance of the various bureaucratic actors. This was not my experience. Everyone was familiar with SB100 and had done it before, mostly Cobras it would seem. The only pitfall I can see with the referee would be to answer "inspect by engine type" when he asks and we all know to say body style. He did ask what year and smiled when I said "1960".

Let us all know how it goes when you get there.

Ed

11. Thanks blomb11 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12