Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Retro Racing R build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    Same problem yet again. there must be a leak in the rear main or cover plate for the factory oil separator. Only got in one session, 30 minutes, 6k rpm. concerned with the tune, ran it with the old tune in it yet we put in new cams, water temp on long pull shot up to 200, then back down to 185 in less than two corners. wondering if the return water from the turbo is to close to the water temp sensor or if it's the tune in the car. Car did handle perfectly, and was quick even at 6k with 7psi of boost.
    Plan is, builder is coming up tomorrow to take a look. If we cant find it, we put in secondary engine, tune it on the dyno using the 'run the #$it method of break in, and take it to the track next-next weekend.
    We did have a great time with Gator at the track though!!! He has an awesome STI, I'll let him tell you the story. Really fun time even with oil covering the engine of our car.
    It was really disappointing not to have the 818 in the races on Saturday. I took the opportunity to invite Jeff to Co-Drive my STI in the Enduro. It wasn't so much because I felt bad for his team over the 818, but rather I wanted to put the Enduro Man in my STI and grab the data/video on my Vbox to see what I could learn from Master Yoda. Probably most people on this board don't know that Jeff is a very accomplished racer in both sprint and endurance racing with multiple Championships in his RX-7s and other cars.

I started the race in my 2005 STI. Because I qualified with no boost, (another story entirely!) I was mid pack in the grid. The first few laps were fun working thru the faster qualifying cars now that I have boost! I quickly found myself in second place behind a Spec E46 BMW that was really fast. He must have been running a non-Spec E46 tune for the Enduro (which is legal if he is in the ME0 class) because even on the long front straight he was pulling away from me. My half of the enduro came to an end with us in a solid second place in class and overall.

Jeff swapped in and started cranking consistent fast laps. As in just a couple of tenths separated his laps, over and over. I was amazed considering he had never driven the car before, not even one lap in practice. He is a machine, he had numerous laps within hundredths of a second, a fast lap consistency I can't come close to.

About 3/4 of the way thru the race we no longer saw the BMW going by. A grid worker reported that he had pulled off the track and was in the paddock. That put us in first, sweet.

Jeff finished out the race, but not before a fool in a Pro3 BMW almost ran him into the wall on the front straight. We all saw it happen, there wasn't a gnat's hair between the passenger door handle of the Blue Sake Bomber and the wall. That one was a close call.

Jeff took the Checkered Flag in overall first place, a very rare occurrence for the Blue Sake Bomber!

As I type this I'm looking at The Video Vbox data and video. There's places where he is faster than me, and where I'm faster than him. But unlike me, he has consistently fast laps. Because he's so consistently fast he would have kicked my booty if we were racing each other.
    In the end his best lap was a 1:34.06 and mine was a 1:33.81. Now looking at where he's faster I could shave off another 1/2 second, maybe one second.....the Vbox is amazing for finding that kind of data. I know exactly where I need to be faster and why, and he knows where he can be faster. So he learned a little, and I learned a lot! Now I just have to get the consistently fast part down....
    A big thanks to the Retro Racing Team for a great weekend!
    I'll try to post up the videos by late next week.
    But in the meantime we have this!

In the grid on Sunday for the ST race:

Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 05-22-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer