Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  19
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Retro Racing R build

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been wondering if the writing has been on the wall for these motors. I have yet to run mine.

Mazda, Porsche?

Honestly, if it were me I would start getting measurements for an LS1...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet...Saturday Retro will have his new drivetrain (not in an 818) in the 2-4-8 hour Enduro and I'll have my STI in the 2 and 4 hour Enduros. It should be some fun racing!
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

3. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really sorry to hear about the engine issues, really sucks. For those running EJ engines there are some of us that are happy with our cars. Rob T has a really strong running engine (300+ hp) with a mild tune he had built in LA. Mine has been running great for 2.5 seasons (285whp)

Post Thanks / Like
    Retro just needs a better builder, like the guys who run in the BTCC!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=23&t=1608962

However they did order up 12 engines.....

They use a wet sump + Accusump, or atleast they did in 2016. I don't know what they have for the 2018 season:

Specs Here: http://www.teambmr.co.uk/btcc-subaru-levorg-gt-team-bmr

But keep in mind the BTCC cars don't pull the Gs our 818Rs can. They weigh 2800lbs and run on 10" wide wheels. Also the downforce is a lot less than Retro has going.
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 09-27-2018 at 03:11 PM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Hybrid 2.3L Ecoboost motor...... (2.0L Case, 2.3L cranks and bits).

https://adamtuned.myshopify.com/pages/crate-engines
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 09-29-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

7. Thanks subysouth thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any news on the uppy-downy engine replacement?
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah plz some news, it's been months.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, been busy finishing the Kmiata and cutting up our 818. We will have some pics soon, but let me tell you, it's tight! Due to the fact we could not get the integral dry sump kit for another year, we had to go traditional, which meant we had to move some steel, and box the fire wall around the DS drives. Changing a belt will mean removing the engine, but considering if we lose a belt, we lose the engine, kinda not a big deal.
    The delay is in receiving parts, we have had the engine and mounts ready to go for months now. We decided to use our VF turbo, so we had to make an adapter....hope you all like it when you see it, our exhaust valve to turbo distance is only 8".....

If we have issues with the turbo version of this setup, we will probably cut bait and go NA with a stroked K27, which we know we can just buy and have 400 crank hp for about what we spent on our last EJ2.3 stroker. The turbo version of the stock K24 should have over 350whp at 8psi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    If we have issues with the turbo version of this setup, we will probably cut bait and go NA with a stroked K27, which we know we can just buy and have 400 crank hp for about what we spent on our last EJ2.3 stroker. The turbo version of the stock K24 should have over 350whp at 8psi.
    OMG, if you can make it last for 25 hours!
    https://honda-tech.com/articles/insa...engine-at-pri/

818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    The turbo version of the stock K24 should have over 350whp at 8psi.
    Did I miss the announcement? Sounds like you are going with a stock Honda K24 with a turbo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, stock with turbo. The adapter will be here this week, so it's fittin time! Yes, we could go down the 400hp N/A route, but considering we have a few VF28's already tricked out, seemed to be the way to go. So far, we had to clock the turbo onto it's side with a manifold adapter so we will see how that fits....valve springs, timing chain kit and dry sump is all we are doing to start out with.

Post Thanks / Like
    We want to make some room in the shop, so here is what we have.
    EJ207 ver 5 RA
    Cosworth pistons, Mahle rods, new stock crank, new rings, water pump mod, new oil pump, new timing belt, no turbo, ceramic coated Perrin up pipe with blanket, Coated Perrin EL header, remote filter boss (10an), stock RA cams and heads, dash 10 head vents, DS oil pan (-12 fittings), 750cc injectors, dash 6 fuel rails,
    This engine ate new bearings after 10min on the dyno, but did pull 285whp at the wheels at 12psi

EJ207, ver 5 RA stroked to 2.3l
    OMG pistons and rods, stage 2 cams and valve springs, RA heads (ported), billet dry sump pan (-12 fittings), no turbo, new stainless Perrin up-pipe, no header, new timing belt (less than 3 hours) water pump mod, high volume oil pump (either 12mm Cosworth or 11mm blueprinted) king racing bearings
    This engine blew a head gasket after a bad fix by the engine builder. Needs to be torn down and cleaned, then put back together. This engine pulled 310whp at 10psi.

We also have the full wiring harness to Racepak ECU, including boost control module for one engine. This harness is literally, plug and play. WE can include the IQ3 display as well, with the separate data logging module. We also have some spares (new and used) that we haven’t inventoried.

Post Thanks / Like
    We also have the full wiring harness to Racepak ECU, including boost control module for one engine. This harness is literally, plug and play. WE can include the IQ3 display as well, with the separate data logging module. We also have some spares (new and used) that we haven’t inventoried.
    PM Sent

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you mean by "OMG, if you can make it last for 25 hours!" Is that all some/most are getting out of an EJ25*?
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the context but I've got 40 hours on my EJ257 with 470 AWD HP (Mustang dyno) in my STi track car and I take it regularly to 7,500~8K. I'm going to run it a while longer!
    Of course I also have Subie track buddies who have fared far worse and got less or much less than 25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    What do you mean by "OMG, if you can make it last for 25 hours!" Is that all some/most are getting out of an EJ25*?
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the context but I've got 40 hours on my EJ257 with 470 AWD HP (Mustang dyno) in my STi track car and I take it regularly to 7,500~8K. I'm going to run it a while longer!
    Of course I also have Subie track buddies who have fared far worse and got less or much less than 25.
    25 hours of thunderhill?

Post Thanks / Like
    Scargo, yes you missed the context of my comment, Retro's car is built to win the 25 Hours of Thunderhill.
    818R ICSCC SPM

20. Thanks walt555 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thunderhill... I prefer that to "Thunder Hollow"! (some may not make the connection here, like Retro did with his new engine I'll let you guys guess what I meant loll)

Retro! What is tight exactly in the engine bay, which areas?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    will send pics next week, we are fitting it on Saturday for real. BTW, forgot to mention, we have the dry sump system (less the tank) as part of our liquidation of everything Subaru engine wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope the fitting went well and a lot easier than mine!
    Can't wait for those pix to show up... pretty sure I'm not the only one.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    having trouble posting lately, but FYI, we have the engine mounted!! Now onto firewall replacement and plumbing mock up, then engine back out of the car for some new valve springs (to safely rev to 8000+) and timing upgrade.
    Will post picks when I get a chance

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Retro, great thread with lots of info and unfortunate events. Glad you are still pursuing with a new engine.
    What are your thoughts with going with 15" wheels on the front? Was there a noticable difference with turn in and overall handling?
    What were the offsets for your wheels?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The 15" front wheel package is MUCH better, can now get the car low enough while maintaining clearance to the fenders, and, much better turn in. I believe ours are 40mm offset, 7", with some hubcentric spacers which I believe are 10mm, but I will check again and post. Personally, I think this is the way to go for an R, better all around.
    We have the engine in the car and the firewall almost done. Need to remove the engine this weekend so we can weld in the new bracing and complete the engine upgrades. The turbo was fun, using the cast manifold, our turbo is maybe 10" from the valves, so should have wicked response. Plumbing is pretty much figured out, as is the exhaust.

Hope to have it fired up in the car in the next 30 days, on track in April for testing. Will post pics when we have better ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 15" front wheel package is MUCH better, can now get the car low enough while maintaining clearance to the fenders, and, much better turn in. I believe ours are 40mm offset, 7", with some hubcentric spacers which I believe are 10mm, but I will check again and post. Personally, I think this is the way to go for an R, better all around.
    What brake and rotor combination are you running up front that allows you to use 15" rims? I have 15's on my Lotus Elise and they are great for getting the nose down. Lots of tires to chose from as well since that's a favorite size for MX-5's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    What brake and rotor combination are you running up front that allows you to use 15" rims? I have 15's on my Lotus Elise and they are great for getting the nose down. Lots of tires to chose from as well since that's a favorite size for MX-5's.
    I'm interested in this too.

I'm interested in a lot of things...like
    More info on your tires (40 or 50 series) ?
    Where you purchased your tires?
    You know...the usual
    Last edited by dwgcooks; 02-15-2019 at 02:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We went with Voxx Milena on the front, 7x15 with Hoosier 245 slicks and XXR 527, 9.75x17 on the rear with Hoosier 265 slicks

Attachment 71116Attachment 71117

They are both in flat black, and are similar enough that you can't tell they are different styles. We are running a Willwood kit front and rear, and clearance is REALLY close up front, so not sure what you have for clearance with what you are using. I can measure if you like.
    Wilwood 4-Pots. Exactly what I plan on running to allow 15" wheels front and rear.
    -Jason

30. Likes walt555 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_3513.jpg
    Engine going in tonight!
    IMG_3376.jpg

32. Likes DSR-3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks so small in there.

Keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_3529.jpgIMG_3526.jpg
    Half way through plumbing the oil, fuel is done, exhaust is to the muffler, intake from turbo to manifold is done, intercooler done, need to finish water and install the ecu and wire harness (which is made). The trans is in exactly the same spot as the ej, so that was easy.....
    Off to seattle for a few days of vaca, back at it on Monday, should have it ready to fire by end of next week.
    Spent all weekend on the KMiata, installed new cams and valve springs. Time for it to go to the dyno, expecting around 260hp at the wheels N/A! You can get 300hp at the wheels N/A with these things!!

35. Thanks Sgt.Gator thanked for this post
    Likes Mitch Wright, Rob T, Wayne Presley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work! Much too beautiful to race.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost ready for final wiring and a start! Will post pics next week, keep getting distracted by the Kmiata, but that should be completed and in the trailer this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Can’t wait to se how it goes. My K series is going in my 818 right now! A friend of mine is doing the work. Won’t be doing many firewall mods the transmission is getting shifted back and the rear most lower suspension mounting points modded. Can’t wait to see how yours performs.

Post Thanks / Like
    We thought about doing that but would have had to incorporate the trans adapter into the frame to stiffen the suspension pickup points. If we could have dropped the trans to take out the lean, we wouldn't have had to mod the firewall, it would have cleared by 1/4". Would have been even better with the integral dry sump for the K series engine, but they are not making them again until later this year.

Can't wait to see them both done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Intercooler is almost in, scoop.....[/ATTACH]
    Yea so sick.

ss

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the color and really enjoying everything about this build thread circa page 5. Waiting for where Ecoboost hits the discussion cause that's how i got here.

ss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quite an odyssey Retro, thank you for your generosity in sharing all this with the forums. Unless I missed it you thoroughly answered every question you were hit with and you didn't gloss over the setbacks either. I have said elsewhere I previously fell hard for the Subies but my last Outback XT finally broke me. As I sit here 2019, I think the last well built engine Subaru brought to the US was the EJ22T sad to say. I can't wait to see how your new H motor turns out, it will sound a lot different and I hope proves to be more dependable. If I break down and get this 818 kit I will be using another option for the engine as well not just because of my EJ history but for some other reasons too.

Thanks again,
    ss

Post Thanks / Like
    Will post pics next week
    Next week was...? Missed?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE= metric (drives one's mechanic crazy when at the track and you have both metric and standard on the car)[/QUOTE]

LOL I went the other way, it worked out better than planned . I bought a 1/2 spiral machine reamer for $20 and reamed all the bushings and frame holes (great for powdercoat cleanup). The best part was how tight and nice the bolt fit to bushing was, no play. I have become a real fan of reamers now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Any updates?
    bumping
    FFR 818r Instagram biknman69
    2020 Ram 2500HD, 19 Forester Touring DD, 96 GM coupe for SCCA SM
    “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
    • Ernest Hemingway

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast