Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Racing R build

Post Thanks / Like
    818 nov.jpgbrakelines1.jpgbrakelines2.jpgBrakes are plumbed (finally) along with an inline pressure switch for the brakes. Body on, we are at 1520lbs so far, still have to add about 100lbs. Still a little porky, but livable for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good, I need to get back to my build now that travel has slowed down until the new year.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice and looking forward to seeing your total weight. What are you using for a fuel cell?

Post Thanks / Like
    Custom Alum cell, 7" high by 51" long, 22" wide, with dual drybrake, surge tank and interior pumps. About 30 gallons total sitting on the "passenger" floor. Installing it on Saturday, should weigh less than 40lbs. dry of course....

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to dry sump it? If so, where will the DS tank go and the oil cooler?
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    No dry sump, we are going with the killer bee set up and see what happens (we have a spare motor ready just in case). Oil cooler is under the intercooler in a box, it's a 60 row.....should do the trick......

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the fuel cell, work of art!!! fit like a glove, ready for second wall and lid, then mount the shifter on top of it. At 7" high, it mocks up nicely. Got the turbo, intercooler and BOV fully plumbed now, wish there was a better way than 10 hose clamps, but this will do for now.

IMG_0530.JPGIMG_0534.JPGIMG_0535.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    Got the turbo, intercooler and BOV fully plumbed now, wish there was a better way han 10 hose clamps, but this will do for now.
    Now those hose camps are a work of art !
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 11-23-2015 at 04:23 PM.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Why even use a hose? Just weld the hose clamps

Post Thanks / Like
    HA! that's funny!

Post Thanks / Like
    So we LOVE the new fuel cell, perfect height, could have gone another inch longer and wider for an additional 2 gallons, but 33 should be enough for 2.5 hours (we hope). The shifter mounted solid, and I do mean SOLID, so now we can measure for cables. The second bulkhead is in for the sides, just need to make the flat top and access door on the slope up to the back, easy peezy.
    Started molding the intake scoop for the intercooler, we are not running a wind shield, only a small deflector for the driver, and a flat cover back to as far as the original dash edge, maybe a bit more. Should smooth the air back into the intercooler. We will lose some downforce, but will find a way to make it up in the splitter/nose area.
    Plumbing fire system this week, along with the plumbing for the air jacks. Cant' plumb the fuel cell until we get a fuel pressure regulator and the dual dry brake mounted into the fender (not fun...). Ordering the wing this week, can't wait to make the mounts, going to look awesome. We think 2" above the roll cage should get us out of the turbulent air, but I would like everyone's thoughts on that (higher/lower).

intercooler 5.JPGscoop profile.JPGshifter mounted.JPGwith scoop.JPGwithout scoop.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the scoop mockup. That's how I was thinking about doing our mockup too; gotta love Home Depot Racing Supply

We've been doing some rough aero modeling using a digital model my buddy bought online. I think that your scoop location will see sufficient pressure at that location. 2 inches above the roll hoop should get clean air for the wing too; shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll see if I can send you a copy of the file he recorded with the airflow in motion. I don't know what the scale is though -- I'll see if we can find a way to include that in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!
    On the wing I would go as high as the rules permit. If you fair in the top bar and the two side 45 degree bars you might be able to increase the flow to the scoop and reduce turbulence over the wing at the same time.
    Which set of rules are you building to? I'd like to read them.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    There are no rules for SPM really, as you well know, just need 500 818's produced (guess I should check that....) and for NASA, we will be running ES, again, no real "build" rules other than safety, which we are kinda over the top on anyway. We are thinking about fairing in the top and side bars, but it will cause some issues in removing the rear lid (which is all one piece now). We will be installing a deflector in the intercooler intake to insure the air travels through the front and rear of the intercooler instead of packing through the back of the cooler only.

Mulry, Ill send you a PM, would love to see the model.

Post Thanks / Like
    What wheels are those? Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    xxr 551. a bit heavy, but affordable and strong. We race the 527's on our GT car, never had an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fire system is in and fully plumbed, decided to go with one in the foot well, one in the fuel cell area and two toward the engine. Shortened the shifter, mounted the throttle cable, seat and belts. Installing the dual dry brake and plumbing that to the cell next, then connecting the fuel rails to the cell (regulator, blah, blah)

Brake ducts will be the death of me. Settled on using naca ducts on the bottom of the splitter but not over the moon about it, will post picks for comments. The "hump" is almost done mock up, fiber glassing the mold this weekend (its called the "Hump" for two reasons, one- its a hump....two- you should see Mack sanding it from the rear of the car!)

cpit.JPGfire system .JPGfire system 2.JPGthe hump.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a Factory Five GTM that was racing at the 25 Hours last weekend, here's how they handle their front brake duct issue, I think those might be classic NASCAR bilge blowers that they use, but it could just be white PVC that they can strap down and use to connect to the brake duct hose (but then why the electrical connection?).

Just for some context, they had the entire front of their car off to make some adjustments nearing the lunch hour on Friday, so this shows the air input area above the front splitter and below the radiator, I'm assuming they have the radiator ducted to force the heat out the top but you can't see that in this photo:

IMG_2114.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, those are nascar bilge-brake blowers, but we don't want either the current draw or the issue of taping the front of the car off for water temp/aero modification effecting our brake ducts. The issue we are trying to deal with is the upturn on the splitter on both sides (and aero mod) and the fact that we are flat bottoming the whole car. Either we cut and repair the splitter to get rid of it, or we use it for brake duct. just leaving it leaves us with a 2"x8" flat vertical on each side once the splitter is married to the flat bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brake ducts will be the death of me. Settled on using naca ducts on the bottom of the splitter but not over the moon about it, will post picks for comments.
    That's how my factory Corvette Z06 draws in the air for the front brake ducts. Works well as along as the duct inlet is in the high pressure zone.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    I love carbon fiber!
    IMG_0578.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hump mold is finally done, bump steer finally done, air intake mocked up.

air intake and hump.JPGbump steer done.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. I was reading this article on Jalopnik yesterday about the WSC-95 that TWR and Porsche put together and the fairing on their open-top coupe versus the tube-frame mule looks a lot like what we should maybe be thinking about figuring out for the 818R. Scroll _way_ down in the article and have a look at the #7 and #35 cars after they put the Porsche motor into it:

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/the-st...ans-1677120408

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the dual dry brake installed, now just have to do some work on the tower to vent from the dual probe vs the single we run not, again that stuff is easy.
    Goal now is to pull a hump out or our new mold and get the mounting figured out. I need to step away from the project for a bit, so it's going to go on hold for a few weeks while things get sorted. dry brake.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! Why did you mount it there versus on the passenger door, just easier to route the fill and vent tubes?

I'd love to run dry breaks on the fuel. I'd not love to pay for the hardware though

Post Thanks / Like
    Easier to mount a solid thing to and we don't have to remove any part of it to strip the body, and all flexible connections are out of the cockpit behind double bulkheads. Yes, at $1400 for just the connections it's a bit pricey, add another $2k for the 36 gallon tower, but you save allot of time in the pits, and it's safer than dump cans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with the utility argument. We won't be able to use it in our intended class for our car starting off (NASA ST3/E0) but when we upgrade the engine after getting familiar with the car for the first year, we will probably need to upgrade the fuel delivery system too. If you don't mind sharing, which vendor do you use for this stuff? I found a couple at PRI but I wasn't blown away by their helpfulness (or lack thereof).

Post Thanks / Like
    Seller info
    HUNSAKER INDUSTRIES USA INC.(805) [email protected]

Redhead Male Double Dry Break Valve: w/ 100mm Center, 2.5 Probe, 2.25 Hose Barb, 2.0 I.D. Bore
    $669.95
    Item #14303385

Redhead Female Double Dry Break Valve: w/ 100mm Center, 2.5 Receiver, 2.25 Aluminum Bulb
    $669.95
    Item #14303383

Fuel Cell
    www.bits-pieces.com
    Monty 360-859-3595 He has the all of what you need to get what we have (33 gallons, 7" high in the passenger floor)

Post Thanks / Like
    Air jacks plumbed and shifter mounted. Now we can measure for the cables...finally.

IMG_0636.JPGIMG_0637.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    The HUMP is done! Still need to install the ducts for airflow around the engine, but the deflector to move air through the front as well as the back of the intercooler is in. Cut the bolts to fit, finish the body work and vinyl it up!

IMG_0640.JPGIMG_0642.JPGIMG_0643.JPGIMG_0645.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    The HUMP is done! Still need to install the ducts for airflow around the engine, but the deflector to move air through the front as well as the back of the intercooler is in. Cut the bolts to fit, finish the body work and vinyl it up!

IMG_0640.JPGIMG_0642.JPGIMG_0643.JPGIMG_0645.JPG
    Nice, would like to see how that effects the negative pressure out the rear.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Did it lead to this?

https://youtu.be/y38Ec57yMG8

Post Thanks / Like
    Hell ya! I'm the nose and glasses guy....no...really!

Post Thanks / Like
    5lb alternator mocked up and ready for install on the car, Attachment 45422Attachment 45423
    Nice! I have my baby alternator too, but I'm going to mount it to the side so I can reverse my intake.
    Just started paying attention to the build. Nice. Now I have to do some reading and catch-up. Might have been the 60K comment that really caught my attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of power to weight ratio do you need to have to be at all competitive in ES? I see you mentioned 300 in a post, so that's not getting close to 5:1. 350-370 WHP on pump gas is not unreasonable in a Subie motor done right and do 8500 RPM . I'm building a destroker motor for mine. I can't imagine you doing ES without a dry sump. I guess I see the reason for the big AWIC now. You never contemplated using the JDM six-speed instead of the RA box?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it's been a ride...and continues to be. We are shooting for 325hp at 104 octane, 1750 lbs. That puts us in at about 5.3 power to weight, came in third overall in a Caterham with a similar power to weight a few years ago. Using a JDM Version 5 STI RA engine that has an 8250 rpm limit on 100 octane, we won't be reving that high, but it's made to do it in a 3500lb car. We gave up the 6 speed idea because of the weight and number of shifts (add 2 up shifts, 2 downshifts per lap and you add 2400 shifts to the race.)
    This race is about staying on the track and being fast in the corners, not about top speed in the straights (second place car never saw over 135 down the straight). Lightweight with torque, easy on the brakes, big fuel cell and quick pit stops. That's our strategy.

WING IS HERE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got to finish the exhaust! Just need to wrap it and put in the muffler support.

IMG_0680.JPGIMG_0681.JPGIMG_0682.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some pics of the side/rear body mods. The trunk-valance is one piece now and installs easy, allowing access to the full engine bay, all of the cage gaps are filled and the body lines on top of the rear fenders has been smoothed out.

IMG_0683.JPGIMG_0684.JPGIMG_0686.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Earlier you had the engine air intake in the passenger side headrest hump, but in these pics you've blocked that off?
    BTW, great pics, very inspiring. I can't wait to see your car on the track. When/where do you expect the first test & tune?
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Retro, you're giving me a lot of confidence in the AAIC. I wonder how big of an aero hit this is to things like the wing (I've read the turbulence coming off of the deck lid is some of the most important)

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast