BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Racing R build

Post Thanks / Like
    THanks guys, we will be installing the air intake in the passenger hump, just finishing up some detail prior to the final mount location. We are installing the wing this weekend, at least 3" over top of the top hump, and, we are not running a windshield but are installing a trick aero deflector in front of the driver only. The hood will be "extended" almost to the steering wheel. Still working on getting things ready to test in March

Post Thanks / Like
    More pics, brake duct install and the No Play shifter is installed with the long cables for mock up. Hopefully, we will get it shifting tonight so that we can confirm cable length. still a little clean up to do on the duct opening, but you get the gist.
    IMG_0705.JPGIMG_0706.JPGIMG_0707.JPGIMG_0712.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the brake duct work. Smart placement, we'll copy that. But it looks like we're all suckers for not going to paddle shifters. This guy has figured out how to do it without using a sequential transmission. Seems like it could work on the 818 too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPRZ0MhzCuc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulry View Post
    I like the brake duct work. Smart placement, we'll copy that. But it looks like we're all suckers for not going to paddle shifters. This guy has figured out how to do it without using a sequential transmission. Seems like it could work on the 818 too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPRZ0MhzCuc
    Two companies do it for the Corvette H pattern T56 tranny. But you have to do a dog ring conversion first, which I'm sure the one in you link has done too. Here's one:
    https://youtu.be/XviGi4u0eTA
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    More pics, brake duct install and the No Play shifter is installed with the long cables for mock up. Hopefully, we will get it shifting tonight so that we can confirm cable length. still a little clean up to do on the duct opening, but you get the gist.
    IMG_0705.JPGIMG_0706.JPGIMG_0707.JPGIMG_0712.JPG
    Is the front half of the NACA duct blocked off? The NACA won't work correctly that way.

818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    VAC Motorsport was showing a sequential dog box for the Subaru EJ2x motors at PRI in December, but it was $15k and that's not with the paddle shift setup. I'd have to think that doing a dogbox conversion and some form of this setup would have to be more affordable. But who knows.
    Last edited by Mulry; 01-26-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Should probably move this to the tranny thread but:
    Here you go:
    http://www.sssdrive.com/subaru_eng.php

They used to make a full sequential dog box but apparently that has gone away.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the front half of the NACA duct blocked off? The NACA won't work correctly that way.

Part of the clean up that needs to be done. we also have not "flattened" the underside of the splitter yet to get rid of the Lip on the front of it....so much to do, so little time....

Post Thanks / Like

Part of the clean up that needs to be done. we also have not "flattened" the underside of the splitter yet to get rid of the Lip on the front of it....so much to do, so little time....
    When's your first outing? I'm living vicariously through you until this Lemons car build is done. Can't wait to get back on the 818, even as much of a PITA as that can be sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still hoping for late march. depends on the tuner, and me finishing the wiring. Still need another 10k to finish, but that's another story......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulry View Post
    When's your first outing? I'm living vicariously through you until this Lemons car build is done. Can't wait to get back on the 818, even as much of a PITA as that can be sometimes.
    Me too! If your intercooler solution works I'll probably be back in the 818R game. I really want a Subaru mid-engine car to be successful for a lot of reasons. I've looked at the NP01, Superlite Aero, and Radical SR8 but the ICSCC class to race them in the Pacific NW is tiny. At least the one I can figure out. We don't have NASA up here (as RR well knows!). The Radical SR3 does have class in SCCA events, so that's a possibility. I'd still rather go FF 818R - Subaru FTW!
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 01-27-2016 at 05:47 PM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    So after a week away, I can finally post our shifter solution. We are using an RSX race shifter, that is reversed, so the bell crank had to be redesigned. Still have to adjust the cable to place the shifter where we want, but the feel is pretty good.
    The floor is getting there, will post pics soon, but really happy so far with the angle of the floor rear of the engine and the diffuser.

IMG_0740.JPGIMG_0741.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    So after a week away, I can finally post our shifter solution. We are using an RSX race shifter, that is reversed, so the bell crank had to be redesigned. Still have to adjust the cable to place the shifter where we want, but the feel is pretty good.
    The floor is getting there, will post pics soon, but really happy so far with the angle of the floor rear of the engine and the diffuser.

IMG_0740.JPGIMG_0741.JPG
    Are you using the FFR rear diffuser ? Are you adding under the engine aluminum to transmission to the diffuser ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the use of the p-clips for the fire system tubing. That's a clean installation. Assume the fire bottle is in the battery tray location?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the FFR rear diffuser ? Are you adding under the engine aluminum to transmission to the diffuser ? Yes, we are, just adding a few strakes to it. We are flat bottoming the whole car, with a drop down under the engine. we are moving the diffuser back about 5" (to react better with the wing) and are starting the diffuser angle just rear of the oil pan. The panel under the engine will be removable for oil changes, trans oil is changed using the trans pump. Pics to come soon.

Assume the fire bottle is in the battery tray location? Yes, it is. Fits perfectly! Now, just have to add the pull's.

Finally going to pic up the wing mounts today!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it. Couple questions:

1. Which wing did you go with? Adjustable gurney?
    2. Looks like you glassed in the rear fender top air intake vents -- just to clean up the airflow up there?
    3. Which spray head are you using on that fire system standpipe (for lack of a better term)? The brass one. I'm guessing it's a 180 degree spray head? I've never seen one like that, just the red ones that spray straight out.
    4. Where is your turbo air intake? Are you sucking that off the center scoop before air entry to the intercooler?

Cheers. I promise someday I'll have more to contribute to this conversation than more questions. The Lemons car is built but I have to finish a furniture project for my bride before I'm permitted to start working on the 818 again. That is, if I want to continue to enjoy connubial bliss, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get the wing mounts? I have been looking for a source to get just the mounts for a 944 I have as a side project?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    Where did you get the wing mounts? I have been looking for a source to get just the mounts for a 944 I have as a side project?
    IIRC they were custom designed and I'm guessing either waterjet or laser cut.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Which wing did you go with? Adjustable gurney?
    2. Looks like you glassed in the rear fender top air intake vents -- just to clean up the airflow up there? Yes, mostly to make it easy to remove the rear deck lid, they are now part of the fender
    3. Which spray head are you using on that fire system standpipe (for lack of a better term)? The brass one. I'm guessing it's a 180 degree spray head? I've never seen one like that, just the red ones that spray straight out. OMP
    4. Where is your turbo air intake? Are you sucking that off the center scoop before air entry to the intercooler?
    We will be installing the intake when it comes in, mushroom filter out of the passenger hump for ram air effect.

Wing mounts are custom, water jet, $300 for the set (cnd)

Post Thanks / Like
    and we wanted the adjustable gurney, but they sent me the fixed....sad but not going to matter in the long run, I'm not that good.

We will be hanging a weight off of the wing supports once we have it back on the scales, to check out mechanical advantage of the wing placement, should be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. I've been designing my air intake in my head ever since going to PRI last December, but I haven't come up with a final design yet. Look forward to seeing how you implement it since you will clearly be ahead of me on that

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking of too. But where does the filter go? Just use something like this before the MAF?

http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Perfor.../dp/B005N6WXYM

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, 180 degree, then a 90 to the panel, then a 3" velocity stack mounted to the hump panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Transmission cooler and pump installed, exhaust support completed, new airjacks installed. Not bad for one night...and...finish fit the front undertray between the splitter and the bulkhead. Have some work to do on the splitter before final mounting.
    IMG_0843.JPGIMG_0839.JPGIMG_0840.JPGIMG_0844.JPG

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice welds.... especially on the aluminum. What kind of TIG are you running?

Post Thanks / Like
    Transmission cooler and pump installed, exhaust support completed, new airjacks installed. Not bad for one night...and...finish fit the front undertray between the splitter and the bulkhead. Have some work to do on the splitter before final mounting.
    IMG_0843.JPGIMG_0839.JPGIMG_0840.JPGIMG_0844.JPG
    So what did you do to fill the gap between splitter and battery tray area ?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    We use a small miller unit, will send specs this weekend. For the front undertray, we made an alum piece, pics this weekend once we get it mounted. Should also have the drop down in, and maybe the diffuser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Miller diversion 180 for tig

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, I would love a Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the bottom almost done. Should have the diffuser done this weekend. Anyone looking for the stock one, we now have a spare....
    Still have one rear plate to install, and we need to install the wear plates on the corner of the splitter, and, cut off the front "curl" to eliminate the drag in that design. Once done, we are completely flat from front to rear, with tunnels to speed up the air around the center drop (there to protect the pan and header). The diffuser is now 12" longer in the center to slow the really fast moving air under the drop. Would love for someone to model it for us.....

IMG_0873.JPGIMG_0876.JPGIMG_0877.JPGIMG_0879.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Splitter fixed, added 1/4" of CF with graphite mixed into the epoxy, reshaped the bottom to move air where we want it. Undertray is installed, tunnels down the sides are complete as is most of the diffuser. Still need the center u shaped element to complete the middle 3 chambers, but we were successful in blocking the air spill from the tires by extending the outside strakes to in front of the contact patch. will fasten the front elements on Wednesday to complete the floor! Finally....

Primer on Easter!!!

diffuser 90% .JPGsplitter fix .JPGundertray tunnel installed .JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, nice work on the underneath aero looks like nice smooth airflow will be produced. The rear diffuser is going to be interesting with the rear wing mounts. I gather you dropped the under engine aluminum down to cover the oil pan?
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    amazing work. cant wait to see how this car moves on the track!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice now add that setup to the 818
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    sure, with an additional $20k!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    where are you located? looks great. I'd love to see this thing in person.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vancouver BC. I will post pics of the electric power steering as well as the shifter setup. It is no lift shift as well.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast