BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Update on #98, Cam Swap and two questions

Post Thanks / Like

Update on #98, Cam Swap and two questions

Hello All,

Huntington was a good motivator for me, and after getting back to Tucson, I headed straight for the garage...and daydreamed! I did not get to meet the Savvagios (sp?) unfortunatley, but spent much time admiring their Coupe.

I did discover a rocker arm that was not getting any oil up through the pushrod. The idle on 98 sounds very mild for the cam that I saw listed on one of the many receipts that Debbie Littlefield kindly sent to me, so I've decided to do a cam swap, and check for any issues. The old cam and lifters look okay, but the naked eye can only tell so much. I have found a couple of small leaves in the lifter valley, and one under the rocker arms, so I suspect a clog somewhere. Any suggestions or places to look? I've blown compressed air through everything I can find.

Second question: AS the photo shows, the sidepipes need to go up and in to fit properly. Anyone come up with a good method?

THanks!
    Dave

Last edited by AZCOUPE; 05-14-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

The one suggestion I have for checking the oil flow to make sure it's proper, is to remove the distributor, use a drill to turn a oil pump shaft(Counter Clockwise), and check the flow from all of the rocker arms. If per chance there is one that is not flowing, you gently turn the crank to open any passage that might be covered, but would normally be open while the engine is running. If you don't get flow from all of the valve train after doing this, you'll have a better idea of where to start your trouble shooting from.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you take a couple of inches off the header, they come up and in, they are probably aliitle long right (DS) now correct? taking some off the header will shorten it up, move it up and pull it in alittle.........Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good suggestions. Steven, I've been needing a new sawzall for a long time, so now I have an excuse to grab one. Thanks guys!

Edit: The pipes are pretty close to the body up near the headers. Won't cutting the header cause the front portion of the pipes to hit the body? I need to correct the way they angle out and down as they go back. A local Coupe owner suggested a large dowl into the open header pipes, then bending them appropriately. (?)
    Last edited by AZCOUPE; 05-11-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine were close to the footbox as wel, I used a come along and carefully wrapped the cable around the header tubes and slowly pulled them back a bit.