BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818C with a Porsche engine????

Post Thanks / Like

818C with a Porsche engine????

Can it be done?

I'm seriously contemplating this build. However, I'm in the middle of building my 911 race car (which I'll probably never race). So I was wondering if I can use that drivetrain instead of the Subaru? It's an Carrera 3.2L air cooled with 5sp manual trans.

Also thinking it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything is possible. We have a rotary, VW VR6, 6cyl Subaru, and several electric engine builds. It's a tube-frame chassis so not too difficult to make changes if you can weld and fab metal. I'm personally waiting for someone to do an LS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea how much trouble it would be, and I love my 818s like it was my own child, but it seems a shame to use an engine from an air-cooled Carrera for anything other than a Carrera. I imagine you could get better performance with a much less valuable (and much much cheaper to repair/upgrade) Subaru mill anyway. Just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Anything is possible. We have a rotary, VW VR6, 6cyl Subaru, and several electric engine builds. It's a tube-frame chassis so not too difficult to make changes if you can weld and fab metal. I'm personally waiting for someone to do an LS.
    I've been wondering about the VW VR6 build and how difficult was that? As you can imagine I like German cars.
    Being that I have built 2 race cars, I'm pretty handy with welding and sheetmetal fab. But I'm also looking for an easy build, reinventing all the time can get tiring.

Thanks,
    Armando

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzSkyline View Post
    I have no idea how much trouble it would be, and I love my 818s like it was my own child, but it seems a shame to use an engine from an air-cooled Carrera for anything other than a Carrera. I imagine you could get better performance with a much less valuable (and much much cheaper to repair/upgrade) Subaru mill anyway. Just my two cents.
    You're probably correct. Just building a 911 engine to stock configuration is about $10k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look to post #6 for the dimensions of the engine area.. Hope this helps. I'd love to see a 911 engine in an 818.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rewall+end+car

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by armandodiaz View Post
    I've been wondering about the VW VR6 build and how difficult was that? As you can imagine I like German cars.
    Being that I have built 2 race cars, I'm pretty handy with welding and sheetmetal fab. But I'm also looking for an easy build, reinventing all the time can get tiring.

Thanks,
    Armando
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...r-Build-Thread

If you are looking for an easy build, I would not suggest anything other than the Subaru engine and transmission designed to fit the 818. Cheap, easy to work on, reliable, and very low center of gravity. Plus they bolt up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you put the 911 engine in the 818, of course you can with the proper modifications.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    There's at least 3 people who are building/have built an 818 using the EZ30 6cyl subaru engine.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-H6-EZ30R-818S

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...hread-H6-power

Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently fitting the VR6 in. Should have pix of it in within 2-3 weeks. Fitting the engine is one thing, fitting everything else around that engine is another! I've got VW stuff, VWBaru hybrid stuff, Subaru stuff and 100% custom stuff. It's a headache, you need a plan, a perfect plan. lolll

How long is the 3.2L air-cooled? I've seen a few Porsche engines and they are all too long by a few inches (measured them myself), which would require most probably cutting the rear FW tubes and doing some magic from there. If you extend the rear end (from suspension and rearwards), which is another option, you end up in need of doing something to the body panels, as they will be too short.

If it's a race car you are building, probably moding the rear FW tubes is the best option to me. Fit the gas tank elsewhere or smaller and you'll be ok.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I would do a air cooled 911 engine in a heartbeat (for an R) after all my stupid issues. It would probably be cheaper than getting the suby motor race ready.
    Way lighter
    No AWIC
    No Radiator
    No need for a drysump
    No need for crazy wiring harness
    PMO carbs are simple to adjust

I was a dumbarse and sold a spare 911 race motor to buy a "Race Ready" complete Ej25 engine.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 07-14-2015 at 09:18 PM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)