Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 1,000 of 1104

Thread: Jazzman’s #8745 "Flip Top" Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Seat are looking good Kevin. Can't wait to see the finished project! Couple more weeks??
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no! I wish I had not read what they are doing to your seats because now my 818 seats feel tight. Maybe I'll drive it into Scott to see what he can do. He did part of my dash about a year ago and it was fun seeing eye-popping jobs in the shop. Yeah, that's it . . . I'll also get to see FlipTop in the shop!
    Kevin, I won't take any photos because I don't want to leak anything before the unveiling.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    He did part of my dash about a year ago and it was fun seeing eye-popping jobs in the shop.
    Yeah, it was pretty humbling when I was there Friday to have my first project surrounded by so many amazing custom cars (and a boat!!!) that exceeded the value of my car many times over. I definately would recommend letting him take a look at your seats. The improvement in my own was truly unexpected and very significant.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Seat are looking good Kevin. Can't wait to see the finished project! Couple more weeks??
    Two to three. I hope. But you know how artists are. It could take longer (and with my luck, it will!!)
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you provide more detail and pictures of the EStopp installation and set up? How is it activated? Does it use the ebrake cables from the kit? Thanks, Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't provide any more photos at the moment, (That's all I have!!) but I will do so when I get the car back and up on a lift. It is activated by a nice chrome electric push button switch (included.). It connects to the ebrake cables from the kit. In my case, they just connected into the adjustment block I already had where the cables were attached to the old ebrake handle. Sorry I can't give you more photos now.
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been two weeks since I have had time to go down and see the progress on my new interior. Boy was it worth the wait!! First the broad over view:

It is clearly a radical departure from what I had done before, but I love it. I like the symmetry, the uniqueness.

That dash is a 1" thick slab of solid Zebrawood!

And to really blow your mind, the solid slab is bent at each end to follow the lines of the body.

Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    The console is an amazing piece of art. It is formed from 6 layers of material bonded together, routed, shaped and formed, and then cut on a longitudinal angle to form the angled shapes you see here. All the switches are angled slightly toward the drivers seat. The zebrawood insert is shaped to fit into the custom console, but sized to float in the center of the space. Red lights will be installed below this insert, and when turned on, the light will shine around the edges of the insert to light up the inside of the console. All the switches will be ringed in red. All the gauges have been retrofitted with red LED back lighting. The angled circle in the center of the console will hold the clock.

Aft of the console is a recessed area about 7/16" deep that will comfortably accomodate two cell phones. It will be covered in a non-slip material a bit like suede.

Aft of that space will be another console, but I will wait to share that until it is built and I can show pictures.

On the floor there will be a heel pad installed on both DS and PS. That is zebrawood under the plate with the circles in it. If you look closely, you can also see that they shaped the floor just a bit to make it flow more naturally from the upper level to the lower one, and from the sides and frame rails to the center. It is not yet permanently installed, thus the small space.

Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. That's some serious woodwork! Hope to see this car in person some day.
    You must be pretty excited.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool Kevin! Are the white areas on the console staying white or getting some color or covering of some sort?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks amazing.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin-

GREAT decision to have your interior work done -- or redone I guess... It is going to be outstanding, and really match the quality of the rest of your build!

I really look forward to seeing more progress soon!! You must be stoked!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Very cool Kevin! Are the white areas on the console staying white or getting some color or covering of some sort?
    The white panel that is flat on the tunnel, and the grey trim piece on top of the console will both be wrapped in the same black leather that the seats will have. The white portion of the console, and the brown recessed section on the tunnel where the cell phones will sit will be covered in a black suede-like material.
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Oh man, I can sympathize with you. Did the same to my left index and middle fingers about 20 years ago, also with a dado. Those suckers will really grab the wood and take you with it (right through the knuckle while doing so). Please don't be the dumb a$$ that I am though---10 years later I did the same two fingers My wife's response when I called her from the hospital..."Again?".

Sincerely wishing you a speedy recovery.

Jeff
    Yep I done the same thing same type of cut twice 25 years apart DA

Post Thanks / Like
    jazzman, unreal, myfriend unreal. Absolutely the dream dash. I have had the same idea about using wood fro the dash but getting those bends on the end seems to be the tough part for me. Just amazing to see this coming together for someone. I hope to execute something similar in fiberglass, mdf, and lots of bondo LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin,

Wow. Your car is starting to look European...
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Kevin,

Wow. Your car is starting to look European...
    You have a good eye! I/we are drawing influences from supercars and other high end interiors. There is a bit of Lambo Aventador, a bit of Mercedes, a bit of Porsche, and a lot of American artistry in there! (And there are still some really neat surprises yet to come!!)
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. That dash is amazing. Is it going to be stained a certain shade, or is that the way it will be? It's going to be stunning with all the red lights. Good work!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Incredible.

I mean just... wow.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Wow. That dash is amazing. Is it going to be stained a certain shade, or is that the way it will be? It's going to be stunning with all the red lights. Good work!
    Thank you! Currently the plan is to use some type of oil finish with UV protection. It will not be stained, but it will have a much richer color. We are trying to find the clearest oil finish available so as not to change the color any more than we have to. Many oil finishes are about the color of honey and add that honey color to whatever they seal. We are wanting to keep the natural wood color as best we can. Not exactly an easy task.
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Incredible.

I mean just... wow.
    I'm going to choose to take that as a compliment! Thanks! Now you know how I felt watching your Trojan progress.
    Last edited by Jazzman; 02-13-2018 at 09:45 AM.
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome!! I've heard they are the BEST, but I'm still amazed at their design creativity.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Full disclosure---I am not a really fan of wood dashes in these cars but man, there is no denying the craftsmanship and creativity that has been put into this interior! That is some incredible work

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Full disclosure---I am not a really fan of wood dashes in these cars but man, there is no denying the craftsmanship and creativity that has been put into this interior! That is some incredible work

Jeff
    I understand, wood dashes are not for everyone. Lets face it, with my car, there are a myriad of reasons to not like it if you prefer a more traditional look. That's ok. I like the traditional look. I like creativity. I pretty much like all of them!! I hope that in the end you will appreciate the completeness of the creative concept. But even if you don't, I still appreciate you and have the ultimate respect for you!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I understand, wood dashes are not for everyone. Lets face it, with my car, there are a myriad of reasons to not like it if you prefer a more traditional look. That's ok. I like the traditional look. I like creativity. I pretty much like all of them!! I hope that in the end you will appreciate the completeness of the creative concept. But even if you don't, I still appreciate you and have the ultimate respect for you!
    Don't take that wrong Kevin...I already appreciate the craftsmanship and creativity. When I look at art it doesn't necessarily have to be something that I want in my own living room for me to be blown away by the talent that made it!

All the best!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't take that wrong Kevin...I already appreciate the craftsmanship and creativity. When I look at art it doesn't necessarily have to be something that I want in my own living room for me to be blown away by the talent that made it!

All the best!

Jeff
    Absolutely no offense taken! We are on exactly the same page. You have very eloquently expressed exactly the truth . . . I wouldn't want them all in my living room either! (Parking would be just too limited, and my wife would have a fit having to dust them all!! ) Have a great day my friend!!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Another weekly interior progress report. The dash is coming along nicely. The opening for the gauges have been chamfered, and the gauge mounting itself is done. Here is the semi-finished look:

The gauges "float" in the opening in the wood dash, surrounded by red LED lighting. Here is how the gauges are mounted. LED lighting is added all around this plexiglass mounting frame to bath red light around each gauge from the back side.

The console around the shift lever is similarly lighted from the back side. Note the red accent stitching around the edge of the console.

The tunnel top is now covered:

next up is the door sills. The goal is to completely hide the speakers under the doors and add lighting and wood accents under the door.

Top view of the door sill:

The area around the wood accent will be backlit with red LED lights. This photo shows light coming through the frosted area around the wood accent.

It will be two weeks before I can get back to see further progress. I am speechless now! I can't imagine what I will see next!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the champfered gauge openings. I was wondering why they used such a thick piece of wood for the dash. Now I know. Cool stuff.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates on that fantastic interior? I've been drooling for a few weeks on the last post.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely amazing work. I will be in Scottsdale in January and hope we can connect so that I can see it in person. I'm curious about your push buttons on your center console. Are you using latching push buttons? or do you have some sort of chassis control module to work do the magic for you?
    I can't wait to see this in real life.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Any updates on that fantastic interior? I've been drooling for a few weeks on the last post.
    Well . . . There are a number of reasons for the absence of updates. Family and personal responsibilities is the first. Over the past two months I have: Built a very large set for a local High School theatre production, helped my youngest son buy his first home, seen my eldest son get the next step in his career, cared for my wife and her family before my mother in law "graduated", planned and spoken at her "Celebration of Life" service, helped my son's girlfriend buy her first car, and taken my younger son on his first "professional" business trip. In the midst of all of that I have been spending a little time (but very little) trying to get my trailer ready to take FlipTop over to Huntington Beach. I have ordered a custom Serpent Express trailer cover to go on my trailer. I had hoped this would be done before the trip, but it is looking more likely that I will not get this project done before HB. FlipTop is still going, but she may not have the cover on the trailer. My son and daughter in law move into their new home in two weeks. I will be spending most of the Easter weekend helping them move and tearing down a wall in their new home. Time is running short.

The primary reason that you have not seen any updates on the interior is that we are experiencing an unavoidable delay in the fabrication process. I had a very candid conversation with the owner of the company a week ago. Nothing had been done on my project for a couple of weeks. The fabricator that was working on FlipTop had "needed" to take some personal days off to take care of "some family issues". After two weeks gone, the fabricator informed the owner that he was quitting effective immediately. The owner pleaded with him to at least stay long enough to finish fabrication of my project and the one other one that he was working on. The fabricator agreed, and said he would be in on Monday. He did show up on Monday, only to inform the owner that he had changed his mind again, was collecting his tools and quitting immediately!

The owner had already been searching for his replacement, but fabricators with this level of skills and creativity are very hard to find. He did finally find two of them, both from other states, and both with the ethics to give their current employers a proper two week notice. I believe that one of the new fabricators starts a week from today, and the other one starts the first of April. When they arrive, they are going to be tasked to FlipTop immediately.

The owner has been absolutely great through this entire frustrating process. While nothing is happening on the interior, He is going to take the car back to the painter for a final "mirror" polish on the paint, then take the car to have the clear bra material applied to protect the front end and the rear wheel fenders. By the time this is done, the new fabricators should have arrived, and he will get back on my interior. He is very well aware that my project absolutely must be completely done by April 25th. This is an absolutely hard deadline. Not completing this project is not an option. FlipTop is going to HB, and she will be perfect!

I am just a bit sad that I can't be driving FlipTop right now. March is the best month of the year to be outdoors here in Scottsdale. The weather is perfect for driving with the top down. My decision to do this interior has prevented me from taking her to two car shows. My son calls these "First World Problems". He's right. There are more important things that cars, interiors, fabrication, and car shows. I have been able to focus my energy on the most important people in my life. An now. . . I'm exhausted!!!
    Last edited by Jazzman; 03-19-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris @ Forma View Post
    Absolutely amazing work. I will be in Scottsdale in January and hope we can connect so that I can see it in person. I'm curious about your push buttons on your center console. Are you using latching push buttons? or do you have some sort of chassis control module to work do the magic for you?
    I can't wait to see this in real life.

Chris
    Thank you. I hope that your presence in Scottsdale in January means you are coming back to the Barrett Jackson Auction. Yes, I would be most honored and pleased to show it to you. I came by your booth this past year at the Barrett Jackson event, and you do some beautiful work as well. I would not have expected that i would like lime green it these cars, but it really works in your car!

The push button switches are Watson's Streetworks. They are mostly latching switches. The light switches and the emergency brake switch are all latching type, the horn is momentary, and the ignition switch is a multi function switch provided by Watson's specifically for their ignition system. I know there are a lot of knock-off switches that look the same, but these seem very nicely made. They are solid aluminum houses, not plastic, and the led lights for the rings are bright enough without being blinding. They aren't cheap, but they work well. You can set up the LED light ring to be on all the time, or to come on only when the switch is on.
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, I'm disappointed that I won't see FlipTop with her new interior at the Scuderia show on April 7th, but I agree with your son that this is a first world problem. Family comes first, of course. I guess the Unique fabricator had the same priority. I'm glad to read that you are determined to go to HB so I'll see FlipTop there.

If you need a second pair of hands to prep your trailer or load up, please call me.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Holly molly! I shouldn't be looking at this, need to stick with my FFR provided manual
    The interior looks freaking awesome!!!

I need to stick with the plan - get it street legal by this summer, paint in winter...then I can start getting ideas
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Kevin, I'm disappointed that I won't see FlipTop with her new interior at the Scuderia show on April 7th, but I agree with your son that this is a first world problem. Family comes first, of course. I guess the Unique fabricator had the same priority. I'm glad to read that you are determined to go to HB so I'll see FlipTop there.

If you need a second pair of hands to prep your trailer or load up, please call me.
    Pete
    Thanks Pete. I will indeed call you if I need help. In all seriousness: How are your welding skills?
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, all I know about welding is that it is a way to join metals, but I had to look that up to be sure.
    I don't even know any good welders.

Post Thanks / Like
    I look forward to connecting with you and Pete next year. You both have done great work.

Post Thanks / Like

The FLIPTOP is complete!!

Its been a very long and exciting day. Here's the short version. We arrived home from Maui very late last night. Very early this morning I began preparing my truck and trailer to finally bring home "FlipTop". I met up with my new friend Bob Brandle who gratiously offered to come along today to photograph the unveiling. Thank you, Bob, for the company, the assistance, and the photos!! After seemingly interminable delays, her she is:

Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, those are inlaid zebrawood inside the grommets!!

Finally, a giant "THANK YOU" to the amazing Fabricators at Unique Upholstery. They worked tirelessly to get this car done in time for the Huntington Beach Cruise In. (I am told they stayed until 1am on Tuesday morning to make sure every piece was perfect! I cannot thank them enough for their amazing craftsmanship and artistry!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn! That looks spectacular! Congrats on a job well done!
    Last edited by networkcrasher; 04-27-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast