Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  25
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Results 1,081 to 1,104 of 1104

Thread: Jazzman’s #8745 "Flip Top" Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently received a question about how the front grill is attached: "How did you attach your front grill? I don't see any fasteners in the opening, maybe they are there but I cant tell. Is it permanently attached with some type of HSRF?" It is not attached with HSRF or fibreglass, and there are no fixed attachment points. We considered the fixed attachment points, but were concerned that it would rattle due to vibration. In the end, we just use a high strength automotive adhesive. I can't remember the name, but it came in a tube like window silicone. We opened the hood so the grill was facing the ground, placed the grill in place, tied a couple of small weights to strings hanging from the grill just to keep it in place, and laid on a generous layer of this adhesive around the edges. We smoothed it out as best we could, but it sticks really well and doesn't really lend itself to smoothing! 24 hours later, it was not going anywhere. If I can find the name of the adhesive, I will add it to this post. Sorry for my feeble memory!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, maybe it was that automotive goop stuff. I think I'll try silicone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your kind words, Mick40. You should find a PM from me in your inbox very soon.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so pleased that others are deciding to follow 2BKing and me in doing his tilt front ("FlipTop") modification. There is one question about the build that I hear more than any other: What would I do differently next time? There isn't much, but there is one area that I now see that I could have improved the design. It is a "taste" thing, and it merely one possible way to do it. Here is the issue: In the next photo you will see the layout of the cut line just above the exhaust pipe. Both King and I made cuts that were nearly square. (it is actually canted forward slightly, but that is not critical for this discussion.) The problem is that this design creates two sharp, almost 90 degree corners that have to slip by each other as the hood/front closes down onto the body. If everything doesn't line up just exactly right every time, These two corners have a bad habit of catching on each other as they try to pass by each other. This can cause your beautiful paint to chip on these corners. (Ask me how I know!!)

For those of you that are computer graphic experts, painters, etc, please look away now. The modified photo you are about to see demonstrates one of the many limits of my skills: that of trying to draw lines on existing photos! So here is the idea: Instead of creating two corners that must pass each other to close, use one arch that will simply fit on top of it's mate as the hood/front closes.

My drawing skills are lousy, but I hope you get the idea. This arch could be done at the front of the opening for the exhaust pipes, in the center of this same opening, or at the back of the opening. Each of these locations would have their own look, benefits, and potential challenges. You get to use your creativity to decide what might be best for your build.
    Last edited by Jazzman; 07-31-2019 at 02:06 AM.
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like

FLIPTOP in ReinCarNation Magazine!

It was a long time coming, but the 2018 Huntington Beach Cruise In Best of Show and Editors Choice Best of Show winner is finally in ReinCarNation Magazine! I am humbled but appreciative of the recognition. (Of course, not humble enough not to post it here!!) IF you would like to read the article in web-optimized format, click HERE. IF you would prefer the full magazine in the printed format, click HERE. Amazingly, they used the article virtually exactly as I wrote it!
    Jazzman

7. Thanks Jetfuel, Straversi thanked for this post
    Likes Jetfuel, PeteMeindl, ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Jazzman....that's so freaking cool and I know that you're in cloud nine...you should be very proud of your accomplishments so brag about ...brag about it....as a matter of fact we want to see more.

Jet

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Just finished reading the article. Beautiful build and much deserving of the compliments.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Jazzman. What a beautiful, stunning, well-thought out machine. I'd love to see it in person some time. And yeah, I guess say hello, too.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, you have done such an incredible job with the build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Kevin, Unbelievable! And only 16 months? I'm 26 months into mine and only finally trying to fit the body, LOL. That red and yellow interior lighting is pretty spectacular, I'll bet you could see it from a satellite when you turn it on!!
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Jazzman! How great to see that article show up in my mailbox! You deserve it for your spectacular work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your compliments. I certainly hope that there will be another Huntington Beach Cruise In so I can see all of your builds! Enjoy the journey!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    This is one over-the-top and beyond phenomenal build, Jazzman! Absolutely standing in a class by itself? Okay, maybe only one of only a very few to take on such a challenge and come out as a winner! I used to own a 56 Ford Pickup Truck back when I was younger and I too put a tilt frontend on it. My 56 was pretty straight forward; but this --- shaking my head in disbelief, as I ponder the complexity of such a masterfully done piece of true beauty! Unbelievable, that is, until you see it! You, my friend, if there was such a barrier to reach, you just blew through that limit, breaking the confines to reach a whole new level! Outstanding! Oh, and did I mention "points earned" for bravery, for even taking the first step on this journey. May you take: BEST OF SHOW WHEREVER YOU GO! Now, it's time to just sit back in this beauty and just absorb all the praise, and awards you will no doubt get. You clearly earned it!

Dj

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ydousurf View Post
    This is one over-the-top and beyond phenomenal build, Jazzman! Absolutely standing in a class by itself? Okay, maybe only one of only a very few to take on such a challenge and come out as a winner! I used to own a 56 Ford Pickup Truck back when I was younger and I too put a tilt frontend on it. My 56 was pretty straight forward; but this --- shaking my head in disbelief, as I ponder the complexity of such a masterfully done piece of true beauty! Unbelievable, that is, until you see it! You, my friend, if there was such a barrier to reach, you just blew through that limit, breaking the confines to reach a whole new level! Outstanding! Oh, and did I mention "points earned" for bravery, for even taking the first step on this journey. May you take: BEST OF SHOW WHEREVER YOU GO! Now, it's time to just sit back in this beauty and just absorb all the praise, and awards you will no doubt get. You clearly earned it!

Dj
    You are too kind! Thank you for all the praise. I truly could not have done it without the overwhelming support that I received from members of this forum. This is truly a "group" effort . . . I just was blessed to be the guy that got to do all the work.

If you are interested in my current project/nightmare, I encourage you to click on the 1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build listed in my signature area. I would really appreciate observations and opinions about my current quandary from members of this forum. It's a long way from building a Roadster, but certainly "educational"!
    Jazzman

17. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jazzman,

I will no doubt check out your new project, as well as go back through this build too! I actually love and have a passion for wood working too. When I'm in the garage working on a gift, that's where I find my happy place! Standing behind a; table saw, band saw, router, sander, carving tools, etc... When various types of wood are brought together to show the beauty of each variety, not to forget those imperfections that can actually play an integral role in the end. So, I really love the zebrawood and how you recessed the guages and even having the one protruding outward and beveled to boot! That was no easy task and it's absolutely stunning and beautiful craftsmanship!

And as for this forum, it's the coolest place on the web! The people are just beautiful souls and the encouragement, help and guidance is what makes this place so special. I'm so honored to be out here and can't wait to start my build and tap the (4F's - Factory Five Forum & Fellowship! You guys are the best!

Dj
    Last edited by ydousurf; 10-23-2019 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Grammar/Spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jazzman;225045]

The thing that has buoyed up my spirits is the friendship of people on this forum that I have not even met in person. You people are amazing!! On Wednesday I received a package from EdwardB of a piece of aluminum that I will need to fabricate a bracket for my fluid reservoirs. On Thursday I had a series of conversations with SkullandBones. He is willing to help me with my brake line flaring issue. He even called in another friend that will also be willing to help. Then yesterday, AZPete contacts me and is willing let me borrow the tool I need from him! Wow!! The generosity of the members of this forum is absolutely wonderful. I have been so busy the past few days that I have not had a chance to formally thank all of you. I ask your forgiveness for that oversight. I look forward to 1) paying forward EdwardB's generosity, 2) meeting with SkullandBones and his friend, and 3) meeting AzPete to see his 818. (I will have to go looking for your build thread Pete!) Thank you all so very much!!

Jazzman, I couldn’t agree more. Though only a member on this forum since Aug. I’ve read many instances of friendly, helpful folks. I’ve reached out to RRAC20, Edwardb, and yourself thus far, and each one of you have responded and offered guidance. And I don’t even have my own build yet! The kindness and generosity are really cool. I’ve benefited so much over the last year reading build threads—including yours—that are giving me great ideas, though I’m still in the research phase (and saving my shekels). Thanks, Kevin, and everyone else for your time and investment in beginners like me! Your documentation is fantastic, and will be a great reference source for me once I start my build.
    Chris Build Thread Index
    Complete kit delivered: 10/15/2020. First Start: 6/25/22. First Go-Kart: 8/14/22. Legal: 7/25/23.
    Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars.
    This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin.
    Build Thread

20. Likes chrisarella, JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    The thing that has buoyed up my spirits is the friendship of people on this forum that I have not even met in person. You people are amazing!! On Wednesday I received a package from EdwardB of a piece of aluminum that I will need to fabricate a bracket for my fluid reservoirs. On Thursday I had a series of conversations with SkullandBones. He is willing to help me with my brake line flaring issue. He even called in another friend that will also be willing to help. Then yesterday, AZPete contacts me and is willing let me borrow the tool I need from him! Wow!! The generosity of the members of this forum is absolutely wonderful. I have been so busy the past few days that I have not had a chance to formally thank all of you. I ask your forgiveness for that oversight. I look forward to 1) paying forward EdwardB's generosity, 2) meeting with SkullandBones and his friend, and 3) meeting AzPete to see his 818. (I will have to go looking for your build thread Pete!) Thank you all so very much!!

Jazzman, I couldn’t agree more. Though only a member on this forum since Aug. I’ve read many instances of friendly, helpful folks. I’ve reached out to RRAC20, Edwardb, and yourself thus far, and each one of you have responded and offered guidance. And I don’t even have my own build yet! The kindness and generosity are really cool. I’ve benefited so much over the last year reading build threads—including yours—that are giving me great ideas, though I’m still in the research phase (and saving my shekels). Thanks, Kevin, and everyone else for your time and investment in beginners like me! Your documentation is fantastic, and will be a great reference source for me once I start my build.
    Sounds like you need to make a trip to Arizona! SkullandBones is about 40 miles from me, AZPete is only 15 miles from me! Both of them are good people! Not at all surprised by EdwardB, he helped me out in similar fashion during my build. Keep up the planing, dreaming, and saving. We’ll be here waiting to help you.
    Jazzman

22. Likes chrisarella liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kevin,

Congratulations on a beautifully built roadster! It really is a work of art and I can't wait to see it in person! I have read through your build thread several times in the past week since I found it. I have wanted to build a roadster since I retired from the USAF back in 2008. From the beginning, I wanted it to have a flip front. Not just because it makes maintenance so much easier but because it shows off the awesome engineering and hard work that goes into the build. It looks like I am nearing the end of the wanting to build tunnel and getting closer to pulling the trigger on finally purchasing a kit in the next year. King's build and your build will be an inspiration to me and the really detailed documentation and pics from both threads will be a huge resource moving forward. The amount of engineering work King put in to this modification is really impressive and shows how talented he is. I have poured over his build thread as well and I think his original thread is the one where I first got the idea to make a flip front. Thanks for taking the time to document each step!

A few details I prefer in my future build:

MKIV full kit
    Coyote w 4R70W
    IRS
    E-EBrake
    Flip Front
    18" wheels

Your build is a great example of how beautiful a car can turn out with hard work and dedication. I look forward to meeting you and other members from this forum in person in the near future.

Troy
    Last edited by Jammer369; 08-09-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer369 View Post
    Hi Kevin,

Congratulations on a beautifully built roadster! It really is a work of art and I can't wait to see it in person! I have read through your build thread several times in the past week since I found it. I have wanted to build a roadster since I retired from the USAF back in 2008. From the beginning, I wanted it to have a flip front. Not just because it makes maintenance so much easier but because it shows off the awesome engineering and hard work that goes into the build. It looks like I am nearing the end of the wanting to build tunnel and getting closer to pulling the trigger on finally purchasing a kit in the next year. King's build and your build will be an inspiration to me and the really detailed documentation and pics from both threads will be a huge resource moving forward. The amount of engineering work King put in to this modification is really impressive and shows how talented he is. I have poured over his build thread as well and I think his original thread is the one where I first got the idea to make a flip front. Thanks for taking the time to document each step!

A few details I prefer in my future build:

MKIV full kit
    Coyote w 4R70W
    IRS
    E-EBrake
    Flip Front
    18" wheels

Your build is a great example of how beautiful a car can turn out with hard work and dedication. I look forward to meeting you and other members from this forum in person in the near future.

Troy
    Thanks for your kind words Troy! We have talked so much privately that I didn't even find this until today. Please forgive the oversight! MY offer still stands to give you a ride. Just let me know when!

Blessings,

Kevin
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like

Big Changes for FlipTop's Sister

A new direction for FlipTop's Sister. Check out the Mustang build thread below for the news!

Kevin
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick update. I still have FlipTop. She doesn't get out as much as she would like, but we still go out now and then. A while back I was driving her on the freeway when she suddenly just shut off. No particular reason I could figure out, it was as if an Unseen Hand had simply turned her off. While I waited for a tow truck, I contemplated what the problem might be. Nothing seemed to make sense. After about 30 minutes of waiting, I got impatient and tried to start her again. She fired right up! By this point I was far too late to make my meeting, so I headed back home. She never missed a beat. An hour after I got home. My wife got the call that her 95 year old father had "graduated". I would not have been home to comfort my bride if God's unseen hand had not turned off FlipTop on the freeway.

I didn't drive Fliptop for many months. (It was summer in Arizona, 110+ under the blazing sun!!) I still did not know exactly why Fliptop had turned off. Did I have a fuel issue? An electrical issue? Something else? Since it seemed like she was not getting fuel, I decided to start with the fuel pump and the fuel filter. I didn't hear anything coming from the fuel pump, but I wondered if the filter was clogged. To get to it, I had to remove the rear passenger side wheel. The filter was fine. I was about to put the wheel back on, when I noticed a 4" long nail that was "threaded" through the inside sidewall of the tire between the belts and the rubber. Not deep enough to let air escape, but more than deep enough to compromise the integrity of the tire. I took it back to Discount Tire company where I purchased it. Even though it was five years old, the road hazard warranty that I had purchased replaced the tire for free! Had I not gone looking for the fuel issue, I never would have taken off the tire and found the nail that could only be seen when the tire was off the car! Once again, I had been protected from potential danger by the Unseen Hand of God. By the way, when I put the new tire back on the car, She fired right up and has not stopped working since. Coincidence? I don't believe so. You may draw your own conclusions.

I can't wait for it to warm up a bit here so I can get her out of the garage and back on the rode where we belong! Hope to see you somewhere down the road!

Jazzman
    Jazzman

27. Thanks WIS89, i.e.427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Quite a story, Jazzman. What blessings the "car trouble" brought to you and your family! Thanks for posting.
    Chris Build Thread Index
    Complete kit delivered: 10/15/2020. First Start: 6/25/22. First Go-Kart: 8/14/22. Legal: 7/25/23.
    Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars.
    This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin.
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear from you Kevin! I’m not big on coincidences but do believe in Karma…do good things and good things happen

Keep up up to date my friend

Jeff

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728