Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29

Thread: Andrew's 818S - LYTW8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In red is my proposed change. Dashed gold is optional angled floor of tank. Cutout is to clear the steering. Vertical red is baffles on each side of the Hydromat. In the bottom of each vertical baffle you would have small notches to let the fuel in probably equivalent to some factor of what the pump can move and perhaps accounting for 30% more for E85. The Hydramat should do the trick without flaps being necessary. With the V shape you are losing near half of potential volume.
    gas tank.png
    You might want to give some thought to clearance of the tank to the frame, vibration isolation mounts and/or flexible mounts that can absorb some frame movement in case of front-end damage. In other words, don't fit it too tight or too solidly with hard mounting and stay off the tank seams and have crushable mounts. I'm not a big fan of squarish welded tanks because the seams might rupture. Might be something to ask Boyd about.
    There are aftermarket "vertical" sending units for the gas level that don't use a conventional swing-arm float.
    Last edited by Scargo; 03-04-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    In red is my proposed change. Dashed gold is optional angled floor of tank. Cutout is to clear the steering. Vertical red is baffles on each side of the Hydromat. In the bottom of each vertical baffle you would have small notches to let the fuel in probably equivalent to some factor of what the pump can move and perhaps accounting for 30% more for E85. The Hydramat should do the trick without flaps being necessary. With the V shape you are losing near half of potential volume.
    gas tank.png
    You might want to give some thought to clearance of the tank to the frame, vibration isolation mounts and/or flexible mounts that can absorb some frame movement in case of front-end damage. In other words, don't fit it too tight or too solidly with hard mounting and stay off the tank seams and have crushable mounts. I'm not a big fan of squarish welded tanks because the seams might rupture. Might be something to ask Boyd about.
    There are aftermarket "vertical" sending units for the gas level that don't use a conventional swing-arm float.
    I think I follow you. I would need to do some major frame mods to get that to fit in the front. I'm basically taking Lance's design and fitting it to the stock subaru master cylinders. There should be 1/4"-3/8" space between the tubes of the frame and I have some nice 3M isolating rubber that I'm planning to use.

Here's lance's completed tank for reference: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post222041