Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  57
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, Here I Go

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, Here I Go

Well today the donor arrived! Found this at an auction. It’s an ‘02 Impreza, not a WRX. It’s filthy, ugly, rusty, and doesn’t run. But it was dirt cheap, price of the car, auction fees, and truck to transport it was under 700.00. Not running doesn’t bother me. Whatever I found I planned on going through the engine anyway.
    Still a long way off on ordering a kit but at least this is a start

Post Thanks / Like
    Good on you!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

3. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That bring back memories (shudder) . That back seat looks like my kids sat there (a few years ago now).

Welcome to the madness.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

5. Likes jforand, jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Enjoy the 'virtual' ride at least until you get one going! Tons of great people out here to help you along. I started working on mine in the beginning of March 2020 and have already gotten a ton of great ideas and help.

7. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go...heck of deal for a great start
    Forget Covid....get a tetanus shot

Jet

9. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Likes AZPete, Cobradavid, Sgt.Gator, jbs72697, fletch liked this post

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great news - every added 818 is another party for all of us. My doctor refused tetanus shot unless I came in with bodily damage making it "necessary" (which I didn't have that day). Since then I've probably needed that shot about 10 times and yet to get it. (Tetanus or the shot I'm lucky to say)...

Tear-down and refurb is as much fun as the build IMO.

11. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquillen View Post
    Tear-down and refurb is as much fun as the build IMO.
    Yep. I agree with Art. And they are MUCH MORE fun than the wiring harness (IMO).

Welcome aboard!

13. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. Even though I’m tearing it down I’m going to put on hooded Tyvek suit, gloves and a respirator and deep clean the interior. It smells so bad in there I wouldn’t be able to work. I’m sure progress will be slow. I’m in the boat business and our hectic season is here, plus I have an Aprilia motorcycle that needs some work too, and oh yeah We’re planning on moving in the coming months. It’s a lot but the car was so cheap I had to jump on it. I know I’m going to love this whole process
    Thanks again and have a great weekend!

15. Likes fletch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

17. Likes Kurk818, AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Finally got my wife to Factory Five today! Wanted to show her what the place and the cars are all about and to show her the 818 that’ll be occupying my time on a few months.
    We met with Dave Lidnsey who showed us around and answered our questions. Dave Smith even stopped over to say hi
    We’re finally closing on our house Wednesday so after that’s done and we have our debts paid I WILL be placing the order!
    Lots to clean up in the garage while I’m waiting. Really looking forward to the whole process!
    284D63CD-9523-4E98-A402-A111026A26A2.jpeg 0BB795A9-020A-498D-BADA-8C7E9028BA6C.jpeg 6D5E8CDF-B07D-44AD-B804-43A536BF8DCE.jpeg C833419C-F30B-4FD4-B447-C434686DCDE8.jpegA87FA901-08A5-4E50-9EC2-E56ACB97C067.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    So what car did your wife like while you were at factory five?

20. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sure really liked the 818, but I think her favorites may have been the 65 Coupe or the hot rod truck

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard! We just picked up our 818C yesterday!!!! A piece of advice that I wish I knew as I purchased our donor before ordering our kit was that the build manual also includes the steps to harvest the pieces you need from the donor. I got a WORD list from David, but then when I asked for a .PDF of the manual, I realized there were step by step instructions! You'll figure it out either way, but sure nicer to see "pictures" of exactly what you need...

23. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yesterday!? Yours was probably the 818c that Dave smith let us peek at in the delivery area to see what a raw kit looks like. May be the facts that I am also a Smith and I was wearing my stylish new Christmas present, an awesome Factory Five jacket had something do with it
    Seeing that really helped her appreciate how much goes into building one. It could have also worried her a little that it’ll be more of a project to take on than I figured

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One thing I did last spring was buy and download the 818 assembly manual
    I think I’ve read it about three times now. That’s been a great motivator and prep for the build and yes it starts with a good guide and how to take the donor down, with pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs72697 View Post
    Yesterday!? Yours was probably the 818c that Dave smith let us peek at in the delivery area to see what a raw kit looks like. May be the facts that I am also a Smith and I was wearing my stylish new Christmas present, an awesome Factory Five jacket had something do with it
    Seeing that really helped her appreciate how much goes into building one. It could have also worried her a little that it’ll be more of a project to take on than I figured
    From meeting him, I think Dave is just a super nice guy and really proud of the company and the product! Glad you got to see ours in the "raw" kit stage.... We're still doing inventory, but extremely excited to actually start the build!

27. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait for you guys to get these projects going and see what your vision is...

It will be cool if you could update your profiles to show location so that if needed some of the 818 family could come up to speed up or slow down the process...lol

Jet

29. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree. Dave Smith’s pride and enthusiasm in his company, people, and cars was very evident in the brief moment he stopped over
    It was a really good day there. Seeing the 818C and sitting in it again really got me looking forward to my build too!
    I might even start tearing parts off the Impreza and getting some shop equipment today

Good luck with the inventory. We closed on our house yesterday so after figuring out what we need to spend on our new place and paying down debts I’ll be ordering a new shock for my Aprilia SL1000 then placing the order for the 818! ����
    Are you guys in Mass too? I’m in Braintree

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I can’t wait either. I’ve spent the last year on this board and YouTube watching others and their projects
    It’ll soon be my turn, we’ll in several weeks. That’s what Dave Lindsey estimated their lead time is, which is fine with only because I don’t really have much garage space yet. Going to need a big dumpster and a pitchfork
    I don’t really have a specific vision quite yet, other than following the manual. I’m sure that will change once I get started with it though

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked again at your short video showing your donor engine and heard you ask, "what have I done?" Did the corrosion clean up okay? Do you feel better now?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

33. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’m embarrassed to say I haven’t even touched the Impreza yet. With everything going on this year, selling the house, work demands, etc it’s still sitting on the driveway with a cover over it so it’s not a huge eyesore for the neighbors
    I’m really hoping to dig at it soon though

35. Likes AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuel View Post
    Can't wait for you guys to get these projects going and see what your vision is...

It will be cool if you could update your profiles to show location so that if needed some of the 818 family could come up to speed up or slow down the process...lol

Jet
    Thanks for the tip! I just updated my profile. Being somewhat new to the forum, didn't even realize that was an option! ;-)

37. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuel View Post

Jet
    At this point I don’t really have a specific vision other than following the manual and trying not to mess it up too badly. I’m sure as I get into the project that’ll change so I’m sure to be posting along the way with updates and for advice (especially advice)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok it’s official. I just placed the order! Wooo hooo!
    Let the madness begin!
    F96F8753-DC3A-493F-AC03-7228626E8217.png

40. Likes Shawn818c, DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What options did you end up choosing?
    Factory Five 818c #456

42. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Judson! Got your order over to one of our techs to review. They'll finish getting everything processed through our system, and we'll follow-up with your updated invoice and a What to Expect letter shortly. Look forward to following along with your build thread!
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

44. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok it’s official. I just placed the order! Wooo hooo!
    Let the madness begin!
    F96F8753-DC3A-493F-AC03-7228626E8217.png
    I noticed you are in Braintree, MA. I'm next door in Hingham and would be happy to share my experience and let you take a look at my 818S.

46. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn818c View Post
    What options did you end up choosing?
    I didn’t go crazy. I chose powder coated frame, FFR steering wheel and adaptor, carpet set and padded interior. I need to conserve money as much as I can now. I still have to outfit the garage with more equipment too

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Congrats Judson! Got your order over to one of our techs to review. They'll finish getting everything processed through our system, and we'll follow-up with your updated invoice and a What to Expect letter shortly. Look forward to following along with your build thread!
    Thanks Dave! Was good to meet you the other day. Bringing my wife by was a big step. Once she saw the showroom and 818C she was quite impressed
    I’m really psyched to finally pull the trigger!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idf View Post
    I noticed you are in Braintree, MA. I'm next door in Hingham and would be happy to share my experience and let you take a look at my 818S.
    Oh that would be great! Thank you!
    If you 2ant to send a DM maybe we can work out a time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that would be great! Thank you!
    If you 2ant to send a DM maybe we can work out a time?
    PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Huh. Sure hope I can get this ready by the time my 818 is ready
    76F89815-7A6A-4598-8157-590E1CA74BD1.jpeg

52. Likes AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well covid has reached our house. Two of us are positive, myself and one daughter are negative
    But we all still have to quarantine for a week anyway. So maybe a helpful thing in the battle to get the garage cleared out

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched all 35 videos from Grassroots Motorsports several times. Wayne Presley who owns Very Cool Parts, has built a number of 818s including being in charge of this one, sells great parts for our 818s and has great advice all over this forum. I can’t figure out how to paste the link in here so just search in YouTube for “project 818 part 1”. You will want to go to Zero Decibel Motorsports and buy other essential parts from Mechie3. His advice here is prodigious and profound. You can’t go wrong with anything you get from anyone who advertises here.

55. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hojo View Post
    I watched all 35 videos from Grassroots Motorsports several times. Wayne Presley who owns Very Cool Parts, has built a number of 818s including being in charge of this one, sells great parts for our 818s and has great advice all over this forum. I can’t figure out how to paste the link in here so just search in YouTube for “project 818 part 1”. You will want to go to Zero Decibel Motorsports and buy other essential parts from Mechie3. His advice here is prodigious and profound. You can’t go wrong with anything you get from anyone who advertises here.
    Thank you! Any new info, videos, etc will be great ways to pass the time and learn

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about the Covid within the household, hope ya'll recover quickly. As for VCP and 0dB, both top notch, bought a few donor parts from Wayne and a bunch from Craig. The hood hinges are a must have as is doing something about the FFR provided shifter.
    Factory Five 818c #456

58. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A little bright spot today, my little powder coating gun arrived today. Can’t do much with it yet, but it’s a bit of a morale booster
    811060AC-A8AB-4CA9-83B1-0DF661F7A84C.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Same powder gun I've been using for years. I did a mod I read about on-line and it helps a lot. Drill a few small holes in the long air tube that goes into the bottle. Helps to aerate the powder better. And I don't use that deflector thing at the end; the blue plastic thing. Maybe that would be good for large things being coated but I do small parts.

61. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find it very helpful to use that blue deflector and the lower power setting to get into corners and channels that experience the faraday effect. Hit those tight spots first, then take it off and switch to high power for the rest of the part.

I do like FFRWRX's idea to drill small holes. I do find it either packs down, or otherwise needs a gentle shake once and a while. Could you post a picture of the holes you drilled?

63. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just went down and took a picture. You can see the three holes I added near the top of the tube. Really helps to stir things up. Also, though its been a number of years, I seem to recall the "lid" that came on the gun didn't thread very well onto the plastic bottles. I took the blue tubes off, and the lid thing that came on the gun and used one of the bottle lids instead; obviously drilling holes to suit. Now the bottles thread in nicely. Don't know if that was just an issue with mine or not.

Rick

Powder gun.jpg

65. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast