Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's 818S - LYTW8

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same thing on my side vent openings, only I cut paint sticks to the length I needed to hold the glass in place while it was curing. I used KTM motorcycle radiators on each side, through which I will circulate coolant to the oil cooler via a small electric pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    Very nice build, but I have 2 questions: where did you source your seats from? Is that a seat cover on pass seat or a different style Tillett seat?
    Thanks, Lance. I should have my custom boyd tank that mimics yours in 6-10 business days.

I sourced the seats through Allan Uzwiak. Youtube username is Zakari3030. I can PM his e-mail if you want. He's regularly building Superlite cars and uses the Tillett B5 in most of his builds. The passenger seat in one shot is just the old fabric corbeau still in place. They're both Tillett B6 carbon. No cushions at this point, but may have some custom cushions made.

Post Thanks / Like
    More rear bumper progress...

This was my new inspiration

Last edited by Aero STI; 08-20-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that thing is going to look MEAN!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Wow, that thing is going to look MEAN!
    Thanks! I'm hoping the whole car is pretty aggressive looking. I'll be ditching the rear duck bill and adding a nice wide wing from Mallen Alley. I have an idea for a fairly clean chassis mount. Then extending the front splitter 3-4" off the front like you did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some self-explanatory updates.

Mocking up a wing mount...

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly!! We used 1/4" plywood, drilled all of the mounting/adjustment holes and sent them to a water jet cutter. 100 bucks later, done!
    IMG_0824.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and depending on the wing you use, that area of the frame will actually bend! we were only running 5 degrees with tension rods from the mid trunk pin mounts to the wing, and were bending it! Ended up installing two more vertical tension braces and moving the wing to 0 degrees to solve the problem. the plane of our wing is 2" above the top of the roll bar to get out of it's turbulent shadow, and because our wing is effectively behind the car, the leverage is pretty significant, so don't need much wing angle to be effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    Exactly!! We used 1/4" plywood, drilled all of the mounting/adjustment holes and sent them to a water jet cutter. 100 bucks later, done!
    IMG_0824.JPG
    Your mount was my inspiration. I was planning on 3/16" aluminum. That's impressive that you're bending the frame. I'll keep an eye on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    The body prep work continues. I rolled the car outside for the first time in many months and did an initial sand of most of the gelcoat. It helps give some perspective on the widened side scoops and the rear end modifications.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome Andrew!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive, can't wait to see the finished product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking really good! I love what you're doing with the back end. If I didn't already have a plan for my bumper then I'd probably copy you, which I'm sure someone will do. What are you going to use for lights?
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Looking really good! I love what you're doing with the back end. If I didn't already have a plan for my bumper then I'd probably copy you, which I'm sure someone will do. What are you going to use for lights?
    I've got a few ideas I'm floating around. Probably something totally custom. I entertained using the later model year LED ring Toyota FJ Cruiser tail lights. The area is going to have some hex patterned plastic grille material left and right of the wing uprights. I could see the first revision where I install the provided red tail lights "floating" in that material.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't seem to picture FJ cruiser taillights. Aren't they to big too fit in that space?

Post Thanks / Like
    The cruiser tail lights would take some creativity to make them work. I can't find a great picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mallen Alley wing showed up today. I'm very happy with the quality. This looks tall to me, but it measures only 2 inches above the roll bar.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice - I think that is a good height. When I finally get around to getting one, that's exactly where I will be putting it. Looks be-damned. It's about function. Higher the better.

Post Thanks / Like
    How high off the rear deck are you? My plan is to put it way up there too, function over form.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Very nice - I think that is a good height. When I finally get around to getting one, that's exactly where I will be putting it. Looks be-damned. It's about function. Higher the better.
    Remember, the higher the wing the more lift on front end.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Just out of curiosity I looked for roadster wind tunnel tests and found FFR's video of their wind tunnel tests along with notes. I wonder if having the wing that low will maximize the value of the wing? Then there is the real need for a lot of front-end aero for a car that already ploughs.
    I did a search for wing roadster "wind tunnel". I think the Miata image is interesting.
    top-down.jpg

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, Glyn I found the exact same Miata image the other day when I was searching for the same thing. I was surprised at how much airflow there was over the trunk. I expected it to be more disturbed up higher. That is good though... I think putting the wing just a little higher than the windshield will probably result in pretty good function. It would, of course, be better if you ran without the street windshield but I still think you'd get some good benefit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good dialogue guys. I'm open to any input. I plan to have the front spoiler 3" to 4" off the front of the nose and probably will add adjustable sections to extend portions of the front spoiler even further as necessary. I talked to the aerodynamic guru at work. This guy knows his stuff. Was the primary designer of racecar bodies for a formidable team in the 80's-90's and still does a ton of aero development with his laydown Yamaha kart. He suggested around 2" to 3" above the windshield/rollbar. With a level I found the windshield to be around 1" above the rollbar. He also suggested adding a teardrop profile to the rollbar, think formula 1 aero bars.

I'll try to grab a measurement off the deck lid when I get a chance.

Here is 3" above the rollbar. 71.5" wide. I sent these over to Kevin Allen (www.mallenalley.com where I got the wing from) for his opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Photo storage full
    Last edited by Aero STI; 08-20-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That seriously is one good lookin' tank! Makes me kind of want to go with their behind-the-seat option for the 818...

Post Thanks / Like
    2" above the roll bar should keep it out of the shadow of roll bar depending on how far back you are from it. You need the cleanest air possible to maximize it's efficiency or you will start cranking in more angle, which equals more drag, which means more hp which means more money....

Perfect world, no windshield, but I would suggest at least one inch above the windshield to start with. We used the stock mounts to template the top of our supports, and left enough room to cut them down an inch if we felt we were too high.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice tank! I love the wing mounts - that is exactly how I'm going to do mine: out the back instead of through the deck lid. Much easier to remove and replace that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info and thanks! I'm pretty heavy in the horsepower department at the moment, so a little drag won't kill me, but I get your point. The ends of the wing should be in some pretty clean air. The shadow of the windshield near the top is only half the wing width. The roll bar is around 1/3.

I'm starting to get pretty comfortable with using 3/16" 6061 material. This is modeled using 2225 N (500lbs) of downforce 750 N (168lbs) of drag, both applied at the extremes of this single upright. I don't expect to be generating 1000 lbs of downforce or over 300lbs of drag from this wing. There is negligible displacement from the downforce, 0.3mm or so. The drag is creating around 2.8mm of the displacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you do that analysis in solidworks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Did you do that analysis in solidworks?
    Yes. I used the simulation package. http://www.solidworks.com/sw/product.../whats-new.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    It was just very coincidental that I was learning this stuff like this week in class and was thinking there's gotta be any easier way to calculate this stuff. Solidworks for the win. But I wasn't the student that was like when will we see this in real life. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    It was just very coincidental that I was learning this stuff like this week in class and was thinking there's gotta be any easier way to calculate this stuff. Solidworks for the win. But I wasn't the student that was like when will we see this in real life. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a little more FEA and made some changes. I shipped these off to my friend's machine shop this afternoon. I tested with very high forces from multiple angles. I even looked at resonant frequencies to determine stiffness. I think they'll do the job quite well. Here is an animation of stress changes while loading up to 4500 N of downforce.

The overall design

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I noticed some stress cracks from flexing in the larger engine cover. This is more than likely from taking it on and off not so carefully. Two layers of directional carbon fiber and it's crazy stiff. I'm glad I caught this before I finished the paint work.

Last edited by Aero STI; 08-20-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wing Design: Are those top round bars just there to simulate the structure of the wing for the FEA? I wouldn't imagine they're needed in real life as the wing will provide enough lateral rigidity at the top. For the middle bars, if you didn't want something quite so large you could just just some parts like this. They act in pure tension if you put heims on the end so don't need to be very beefy.

Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Wing Design: Are those top round bars just there to simulate the structure of the wing for the FEA? I wouldn't imagine they're needed in real life as the wing will provide enough lateral rigidity at the top. For the middle bars, if you didn't want something quite so large you could just just some parts like this. They act in pure tension if you put heims on the end so don't need to be very beefy.
    Craig, yes the bars up top are just replicating what structure the wing will provide for simulation. I plan to experiment with what is really required to stabilize the side to side motion. Thanks for the suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    Also, I noticed some stress cracks from flexing in the larger engine cover. This is more than likely from taking it on and off not so carefully. Two layers of directional carbon fiber and it's crazy stiff. I'm glad I caught this before I finished the paint work.

I had that same problem! But cannot add FG or CF where you did, cuz I use Craig's louvers. I had to add FG just on the top corner where the crack happened.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking build. Really enjoying seeing this come together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    I had that same problem! But cannot add FG or CF where you did, cuz I use Craig's louvers. I had to add FG just on the top corner where the crack happened.
    I have the exact same stress crack as well... I am yet to address it though... :-/

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast