Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew's 818S - LYTW8

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looked like you may have been pulling on him right before he let off... hard to tell. Those bikes run low 11's in the quarter stock. With the HP you have, I would expect you to be in the 10-second range, but there are a lot of factors like how you start and whether you get traction or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    He was doing the horn so got the jump and I spun for a bit. Yes you can see it in the video and it was very apparent from my perspective, I was reeling him back in once I had traction. Speeds were about to exceed the legal limit so I chose to shut it down.

My Race Logic traction control arrives today. I'm hoping I can carve out some time this weekend to get it installed and tested. I'm very excited for that.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to a review from you of that traction control unit. I'm wiring mine in over the next couple weeks as part of my overall wiring harness work. It will be months before it's on the road though.

Post Thanks / Like
    430whp?
    Oh ****, it means I need more power then.

Nice vid though! Too short but we understand its purpose.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    The unit is here.

The wiring on this is dead simple. Outlined is how things hookup on an '06 WRX wiring harness.

Red wire with fuse - 12 V
    Black twisted pair with ring terminal - Ground
    Black/White - RPM Signal connects to Blue Green wire at connector C pin #5 on cluster

There is a 6 wire group for injector inputs:
    Red on TC harness connects to Pink wire at connector D pin #8 on ECU
    Orange on TC harness connects to Pink Blue wire at connector D pin #9 on ECU
    Grey on TC harness connects to Pink Black wire at connector D pin #10 on ECU
    Green on TC harness connects to Pink Green wire at connector D pin #11 on ECU

There is a 6 wire group for injector outputs:
    Red Black on TC harness connects to Pink wire that goes to injector #1
    Orange Black on TC harness connects to Pink Blue wire that goes to injector #2
    Grey Black on TC harness connects to Pink Black wire that goes to injector #3
    Green Black on TC harness connects to Pink Green wire that goes to injector #4

There is a 4 wire shielded cable for speed sensor inputs:
    Red on TC harness goes to Front Left wheels speed sensor
    Blue on TC harness goes to Front Right wheels speed sensor
    Yellow on TC harness goes to Rear Left wheels speed sensor
    Green on TC harness goes to Rear Right wheels speed sensor

There is a three wire group that connects to the dial controller:
    Red to Red
    Blue to Blue
    Green to Green

That's it
    Last edited by Aero STI; 09-16-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The software that comes with the Racelogic traction control unit won't natively install on Windows 7 64 bit. It will install if you use compatibility mode and choose Windows XP SP3, it will also run in this mode, but it doesn't look like it will work because all of the main tabs are missing. It installed fine on my XP laptop and the tabs loaded up. Be prepared to bust out some old hardware if you want to connect to the unit with your PC. I haven't contacted tech support about this.

Fake XP

Real XP

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had that issue with some VW service manuals that only work in XP. I just installed VirtualBox and put XP on that. Keeps you from having to have two laptops.

Glad the install was easy, hoping to see the behind the wheel report shortly

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I hope it'll run inside VMware, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the Racelogic Traction Control up and running today.

For those doing the install, I counted the front and rear tone rings based on pictures I could find online. Both came out to 44 teeth. Based on the speeds I'm logging this appears to be correct. The subie ABS sensors were noisy for me until I got up to around 35 kph in the software.

My initial impressions are that this system works awesome. The launch control works very well, builds boost and keeps traction off the line. The traction control feels a bit surreal. It doesn't kill power like every other factory system. It feels like the engine is lightly breaking up or missing, but still accelerates hard. I felt the rear end get a little loose each time, but then it came back in check and accelerated. Usually in 3rd it's unnerving when the tires let loose above 60 MPH. This keeps the car collected. I'll get videos soon. I'm very happy with this purchase so far.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! So glad to hear it works so well. Now call that R6 for a re-match.

I should be wiring mine up as part of my harness install over the next few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good update.

I have a kit on the way. I will be using your wiring work since I have the same year and model as you.

Keep posting your updates on details, experiences, and races!

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately I have no more observations to give about the Racelogic traction control. I blew up my 5 speed today. I lost 3rd gear around peak torque during a pull for tuning. The TC was not engaged because I planned to get one pull without and one with. I never got to the pull with.

I was able to jam the shifter into second, slip the clutch to get going, and roll through stop signs the whole way home. Oops.

My plan is to get a 6 speed with the AP suretrac LSD front differential.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the sound of a broken transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh god, another one broken.
    Frank

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doh! Well in the 5-speeds defense, you were pushing ~500 ft/lbs of torque and something tells me you weren't gentle

Guess I better move that set of PPG gears higher up in my priority list. Good luck with the six speed.... I will be very interested to see your take on having to shift more. But at least you'll never have to worry about it breaking. I read of guys running 700+ HP on drag slicks with zero issues on the 6-speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you do now?
    Look for a 6 speed on ebay and/or craigslist? How will you hook up the speedometer? Conversion to two wheel drive parts come from FFR?

I received my Racelogic traction control kits today! I quickly opened them up to find out that they sent me the Digital Adjuster.!? I was expecting the same exact kit as yours. Now I need to find time to install it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't abuse the 5 speed while it was in my possession. Of course I have no idea what its life was like before me. This happened after the clutch was fully engaged, just winding it out from 2000 RPM up to redline. It blew up around peak torque.

I haven't torn it apart but I'm guessing the teeth of 3rd gear sheared off.

Yeah, eBay, craigs, wherever. I have a contact in Canada that has sold me multiple EJ207s, transmissions, brembos, etc. over the years. The JDM V7-V9 and USDM 04-07 6 speeds have the proper vehicle speed sensor. That wasn't eliminated until 2008. I believe the factory five center differential piece is designed for earlier 6 speed transmissions, which should be fine because that's what I'm shooting for.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 5 speed blew up in my wrx at peak torque. Shifter, clutch out, accelerate......bam! It did make 450tq at the crank so not terribly surprised.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    450Awtq?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    I have a contact in Canada that has sold me multiple EJ207s, transmissions, brembos, etc. over the years. The JDM V7-V9 and USDM 04-07 6 speeds have the proper vehicle speed sensor.
    No way! How's that possible, we've got f**k all in Canada! lolll
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    450Awtq?
    No, 450 at the crank. It dyno'd 351 at the wheels on the stock turbo. Super peaky though. Back calculate a 22% loss and you end up with 450tq.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    No way! How's that possible, we've got f**k all in Canada! lolll
    what? Robert at JDMracingmotors can get you anything if you have a little time. give him a call.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any progress on the transmission replacement? Still on the hunt for a six speed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Any progress on the transmission replacement? Still on the hunt for a six speed?
    Nothing new in the transmission department. I parked the car for the winter in my basement garage last weekend. Now I have until April or May to get a new transmission installed.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, 7 to 8 months sounds like plenty of time. Good luck and keep us posted with what you end up going with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    what? Robert at JDMracingmotors can get you anything if you have a little time. give him a call.
    That's true, there are a lot of JDMs in Montreal.
    My statement was more of a generic sarcastic joke, as 99.9% of my parts are all ordered from USA or China.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is time for an update.

I bought a replacement 5 speed out of a 2011 WRX about a month ago. It has a bad center differential, which is obviously no biggy, but it's lacking a speed sensor which is minor. I got busy with other things and my opportunity for a quick fix evaporated.

The car is packed deep in to my basement garage behind other projects and summer toys.

In the mean time I've been looking for 6 speed deals and stumbled upon a great one. The transmission should be shipping out early next week. It's going to take some fabrication, but I'm excited to have a stout drivetrain.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is time for an update.

I bought a replacement 5 speed out of a 2011 WRX about a month ago. It has a bad center differential, which is obviously no biggy, but it's lacking a speed sensor which is minor.
    Aero
    I just bought a 2013 5mt to replace my tranny the ate itself earlier this week.
    How were you going to fix the speed sensor issue?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to your 6 speed conversion notes and driving thoughts once it's on the road.

RE speed sensor, you can always get one of those devices that uses ABS sensor signal to run the speedo. That is, if the 6 speed sensor is not plug and play for your current cluster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I was going to use a front wheel speed sensor or gps to generate a signal to match what the cluster/ecu is expecting. I would run it through a SoC micro. This is the one I've been using lately: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13229

The 6 speed I'm purchasing has the proper speed sensor built in. The biggest complication will be locking the center diff, because f5r only has a piece that fits the 06-07 DCCD and mine is from 2004.
    Last edited by Aero STI; 11-14-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I was going to use a front wheel speed sensor or gps to generate a signal to match what the cluster/ecu is expecting. I would run it through a SoC micro. This is the one I've been using lately: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13229

The 6 speed I'm purchasing has the proper speed sensor built in. The biggest complication will be locking the center diff, because f5r only has a piece that fits the 06-07 DCCD and mine is from 2004.
    Hi Aero
    I've been doing a lot of stuff on mega2560 but would go with something much simpler for this.
    Do you know the pulse per mile or per tire rotation of the transmission.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Hi Aero
    I've been doing a lot of stuff on mega2560 but would go with something much simpler for this.
    Do you know the pulse per mile or per tire rotation of the transmission.
    Bob
    The mega is a good micro. I just likely the flexibility of a micro and fabric. Combined I can make almost any circuit that I would need in software.

Everything I read said that Subaru uses 4104 pulses per mile.

Post Thanks / Like
    The mega is a good micro. I just likely the flexibility of a micro and fabric. Combined I can make almost any circuit that I would need in software.

Everything I read said that Subaru uses 4104 pulses per mile.
    Thanks Aero
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Photo storage full
    Last edited by Aero STI; 08-20-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice.... looking forward to install pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Photo storage full
    Last edited by Aero STI; 08-20-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Eagle one etching wheel cleaner FTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Nice! Eagle one etching wheel cleaner FTW.
    Yeah! The picture doesn't even do it justice. Since the etching wheel cleaner dulls the finish I used the wire wheel to help add back a little bit of shine. It's a night and day difference.

I'm going to pull apart the tail section of the transmission on Friday to begin the process of welding up the center diff and cutting down the rear output.

Post Thanks / Like
    A tip for cutting the tail section; use the back of the back of the tail shaft bearing seat as your cutting point. Freeze plug will then fit securely into the bearing seat. You will end up with an additional hole to the right that served as an oiling port. I plugged this with epoxy putty after cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    A tip for cutting the tail section; use the back of the back of the tail shaft bearing seat as your cutting point. Freeze plug will then fit securely into the bearing seat. You will end up with an additional hole to the right that served as an oiling port. I plugged this with epoxy putty after cleaning.
    Thanks, Kurk. I'll use that as my reference. I'll probably weld a plate into the rear driveshaft output hole and blend it smooth. Same goes for the oiling port. I plan to take pictures.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast