Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chippyhawkeye 818SE build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Dan it still does not give as much room as the boyd tank IMO.
    Could definitely work better for a battery box or 2.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had a very good day today. Got a lot done. Mounted all the front suspension, steering gear, Steering wheel, rear lower control arms, rear knuckles and A/C condenser. It is very nice when every thing fits well. Parts should be here tomorrow to get going more on the rear suspension.

IMG_0089.JPGIMG_0090.JPGIMG_0092.JPGIMG_0093.JPGIMG_0094.JPGIMG_0095.JPGIMG_0096.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I had to go to a u-pull-it junk yard to get a few bolts and stuff the donor had that were bad. I also installed the floor under the seat area and checked out the A/C evaporator fit inside the car. It looks like it was made for it. It is a Vintage Air Mini Gen 2 unit. Also the flywheel and clutch stuff came yesterday late, Nice pick Chip, that flywheel is awesome and we can get rid of the ring gear to save more weight. here is some pics.

IMG_0097.JPGIMG_0098.JPGIMG_0099.JPGIMG_0100.JPGIMG_0101.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    checked out the A/C evaporator fit inside the car. It looks like it was made for it. It is a Vintage Air Mini Gen 2 unit.
    IMG_0097.JPG
    Tom,
    That fits great.
    Do you know if your customer is going to run the air conditioner compressor off a separate electric motor or will he belt drive it off the main traction motor?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Tom,
    That fits great.
    Do you know if your customer is going to run the air conditioner compressor off a separate electric motor or will he belt drive it off the main traction motor?
    Bob
    Bob it is a special electric compressor. Chip my customer will fill in those details. He is getting most of the EV parts for this build. I am taking care of the normal automotive stuff as well as the assembly. Chip and EV West are the guru's on the electric part.

Post Thanks / Like

A/C Compressor For Electric 818

Tom,
    That fits great.
    Bob
    Hi Bob,

I picked a Benling Electric A/C Compressor after studying all the options available. I think it will work well for this application. Attached some photos.

Side_View2.JPGTop_View.JPGBottom_View.JPGSide_View.JPG

thanks,

Chip

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I had a few hours to spend on the kit. I degreased and power washed the transmission, Then I did the 2wd conversion. I had to engine turn the FFR rear block off plate. It is the hot rod in me, LOL. Unfortunately the brake rotors and pads came in the wrong size. I have to send them back and have the company send the correct ones. I knew it was going too easy, LOL. Here is some before and after pics of the trans.

SE29.JPGIMG_0103.JPGIMG_0104.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 11-18-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Busy day today both in and out of my shop. In the shop I installed the master cylinders reservoirs, hoses, brake lines and flex lines to the calipers on the front of the car. I also installed the FFR supplied axles to the inner CV's on the Legacy trans. *** Note:*** If you are installing the Wilwood pedal assembly to your 818 and the FFR wiper kit do not install the reservoirs where the directions say to. They will not fit and hit the wiper bracket and transmission arms. See where I mounted them. They are out of the way there. I was fortunate to have put the wiper kit on my last customer car so I caught this right away. I have some pics here to show what I mean. I also last week had http://huegenics.com/ my paint shop paint the windshield frame. I picked it up today and took it Mauldin's Auto Glass for windshield glass install and molding. I hope to do the rear brake lines and clutch lines tomorrow.

IMG_0108.JPGIMG_0109.JPGIMG_0110.JPGIMG_0111.JPGIMG_0112.JPGIMG_0113.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 10-05-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another busy day today. I ran and mounted all the rear brake lines, hoses and calipers. Also ran the clutch line, hose and slave. I mounted the rear shocks and most of the rear suspension. I mounted the 12circuit fuse panel from E-Z wiring for all the 12V normal car circuits. I also mounted the A/C evaporator. I used the mount on the unit as well as the 2 straps that came with the unit. It is very solid and plenty of room for my size 12 feet underneath. I ran the rear brake line like I did on my Orange 818 . Mike Everson had a good idea IMO. Lots of parts should be showing up later this week. Still plenty to keep me busy.

IMG_0128.JPGIMG_0129.JPGIMG_0130.JPGIMG_0131.JPGIMG_0132.JPGIMG_0133.JPGIMG_0134.JPGIMG_0135.JPGIMG_0136.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I had the tires mounted and balanced on the wheels, boy they sure look good, IMO. I also mounted the A/C compressor and made up some mounts. I used grade 8 hardware with rubber isolator washers. I finished up the rear axles after hunting down some circlips for the rear outer CV's. I started to temp in wiring route for the lights front and back as well.

IMG_0140.JPGIMG_0141.JPGIMG_0142.JPGIMG_0143.JPGIMG_0144.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was an up and down kind of day! Late yesterday the rotors and pads came in from E-Bay. I had to send the first set back they did not fit. Well guess what, the second set did not fit either. As it turns out the donor parts we got had Impreza 2.5 N/A rotors and pads. After a little looking up on AutoZone's website it seems that the WRX limited used the Impreza brakes and not the normal WRX brakes. Go figure? Well I am fortunate the E-Bay seller takes returns and I did not have to pay shipping to return. AutoZone had what I needed in stock. So all I got done was finally the rotors and pads, the rear e-brake shoes, cables, hardware the rear lateral links and some wires routed. Good news is the K-Tuned shifter showed up and the A/C drier switch did too. I'll be doing some A/C hose work tomorrow for sure.

IMG_0145.JPGIMG_0146.JPGIMG_0147.JPGIMG_0148.JPGIMG_0149.JPGIMG_0150.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi my favorite senior member do you need special hoses and cramping tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by benoit narbonne View Post
    Hi my favorite senior member do you need special hoses and cramping tool
    I bought the hose kit from Vintage Air and I have a A/C crimping tool I bought from Tool Topia. Is it getting cold up there? we are at 60 degree F in the morning now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wish 32°f over why're I leave

Post Thanks / Like
    It seemed like I spent a lot of time in the shop but did not get a whole lot done. I did mount the A/C condenser fan and made a shroud for it to pull air across the whole thing. I also made up all the A/C hoses except the ones to the compressor. It seems like my mounting will not work. I have to rotate it 90 degrees so the oil does not run out the suction line. Oh well , back to the drawing board, LOL. I did pick up some metal from tractor supply to fab up some motor mount templates for the electric motors. I'll start that on Monday.

IMG_0151.JPGIMG_0152.JPGIMG_0153.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Took Sunday and Monday for the most part. Today I mounted the trans and made up a motor mount plate for EV-West to fabricate their motor mounts for the E-Motors and adapter plate. I also mounted the K-Tuned shifter and cables. FFR has changed the rear trans bracket for the cables. Now a 2 piece unit. Very nice IMO. It took some modifying the VCP brackets some as well as using half of the FFR bracket to get everything lined up and working correctly. I also started on the new A/C compressor mounts. Waiting on some rubber shock absorbers for the compressor to dampen any vibrations.

IMG_0164.JPGIMG_0159.JPGIMG_0163.JPGIMG_0168.JPGIMG_0165.JPGIMG_0166.JPGIMG_0167.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good, you definitely have more patients then I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    How much are you into the build money wise?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PleiadsMan View Post
    How much are you into the build money wise?
    That is a private matter between me and my customer. I hope you understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi can you tell me a little bit how elec. motor with a transmission when you use the clutch

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the original engine mounts to secure the trans/motor combo? Are you going to secure towards the front of the motor as well or leave it free?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by benoit narbonne View Post
    Hi can you tell me a little bit how elec. motor with a transmission when you use the clutch
    The electric motor will have an adapter plat on it the make the motor look just like a Subaru engine.

Shifting is a little different on and electric system as the electric motor doesn't have to Idle.
    to go:
    1. Push clutch in.
    2 put in first or second gear.
    3 Let clutch out. (vehicle doesn't move)
    4 Press on the torque pedal and the vehicle accelerates.
    5 shift like normal
    6 when coming to a stop, you don't have to put the clutch in.

After a day or 2, it will feel very natural.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob. I will get to experience that in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like
    We're currently planning to use the original motor mounts. I'll post some images from the 3d model once it's final. We're going to use dual AC51 motors from HPEVS stacked on top of each. other. Should deliver 175 Electric HP. 200 ft-lbs of torque from 0-4500 RPM's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finished up the shifter mounting and did the e- brake assembly as well as some center tunnel aluminum. When I do not have to deal with the factory wiring harness, I like to use a Lokar E-Brk. IMO it is much cleaner looking and not so intrusive as the stock one. I do away with the cable from the 2 cables to the e-brk. and use a 1/4-20 threaded rod for adjustment purposes. The 1st photo shows what I mean with the unit upside down. Using the K-Tuned shifter means one has to modify the tunnel aluminum some. I will also modify the center console to fit better as well. I ordered a battery for the 12V stuff and need to order a rear trans mount. The donor one is starting to separate. Not good! Should have hardware to finish up A/C compressor mounts and hoses tomorrow. Auto Glass shop called, They need windshield frame on car to properly install glass. This is how I did all my other cars. Shop owner wanted to try with just the frame and glass. He thought better of it. I'll go get it tomorrow.

IMG_0169.JPGIMG_0170.JPGIMG_0171.JPGIMG_0172.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I approve the K shifter choice.

Is it me or there's a cut in the aluminum tunnel cover right under the rear of the shifter? Looks like you made it 2-piece?

Also, it's the first time I see "electric hp", does it mean 175ehp do not equal 175bhp (or whp)?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The electric motor will have an adapter plat on it the make the motor look just like a Subaru engine.

Shifting is a little different on and electric system as the electric motor doesn't have to Idle.
    to go:
    1. Push clutch in.
    2 put in first or second gear.
    3 Let clutch out. (vehicle doesn't move)
    4 Press on the torque pedal and the vehicle accelerates.
    5 shift like normal
    6 when coming to a stop, you don't have to put the clutch in.

After a day or 2, it will feel very natural.
    Bob
    Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think ehp really means anything I was just highlighting the fact that it was hp generated from an electric motor instead of ic engine. The biggest difference is that the torque is completely flat and maxed out from 0 rpm's so it feels like and acts like more than the equivalent hp from an ic engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    I approve the K shifter choice.

Is it me or there's a cut in the aluminum tunnel cover right under the rear of the shifter? Looks like you made it 2-piece?

Also, it's the first time I see "electric hp", does it mean 175ehp do not equal 175bhp (or whp)?
    You have a keen eye, LOL. Yes my brake/shear unit is 30" long and I cut it there so I could get a nice even cut with my shear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finished up the A/C compressor and hoses. Now the A/C is closed up. I mounted the front wheels and tires. I had to see them on the chassis, LOL. I got back the windshield frame and mounted it and the dash. Lots of room under the dash for A/C hoses. The padded dash is very nice IMO. It did take more fasteners to keep the front of it flush with the windshield frame than the fiberglass one though. I also mocked up some battery locations using a box about the size of the battery packs. It looks like 8 will fit where the gas tank normally is. We have lots of options for the other 12.

IMG_0193.JPGIMG_0192.JPGIMG_0196.JPGIMG_0195.JPGIMG_0197.JPGIMG_0174.JPGIMG_0177.JPGIMG_0194.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 10-15-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    LiFePo4 batteries? If so 20, 200AH batteries at a nominal 3.2 volts? and about 300 lbs??? just a SWAG!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    LiFePo4 batteries? If so 20, 200AH batteries at a nominal 3.2 volts? and about 300 lbs??? just a SWAG!
    Pretty good swag... (20) 6.4V 187.5AH, (2S75P 18650 Modules), roughly 375lbs with all the packaging.

Post Thanks / Like
    6.4 nominal... who makes those? Ddid you make up your own with Headway cells or something?
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I think that is me not knowing what the definition of nominal is. Was looking at the discharge curves and guessing what the average was under load. They are Samsung 25R 18650 Cells. According to the spec sheet 3.6V nominal, so with two in series these will actually be 7.2 nominal.

Post Thanks / Like
    much better than off the shelf LiFEPO4's, have fun building your battery boxes etc... good luck looks like a fun setup. any range and performance estimates or goals?
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I started to mock up center console. Can not use FFR unit due to A/C and K-Tuned shifter. It will house A/C controls, charging port for cell phone and possible gauges. I am putting the car to sleep for the next 4 days. Big car show and Church stuff to do.

IMG_0198.JPGIMG_0199.JPGIMG_0204.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    TThe padded dash is very nice IMO. It did take more fasteners to keep the front of it flush with the windshield frame than the fiberglass one though.

IMG_0196.JPG
    If you use this many attachment points, how are you going to remove the dash once the windshield is in?

I got the padded dash as well. Wrapped the front edge with a piece of rubber weatherstripping (same stuff I used around the headlights), put a piece of foam weatherstripping across the entire fiberglass lip on the windshield, and used 2 bolts, one at each corner, to hold it in place. No rattling, no movement.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    If you use this many attachment points, how are you going to remove the dash once the windshield is in?

I got the padded dash as well. Wrapped the front edge with a piece of rubber weatherstripping (same stuff I used around the headlights), put a piece of foam weatherstripping across the entire fiberglass lip on the windshield, and used 2 bolts, one at each corner, to hold it in place. No rattling, no movement.

-Bill
    I use button head screws. I can remove with windshield in easy. Done it 2 times before.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use button head screws. I can remove with windshield in easy. Done it 2 times before.
    Hi Tom,
    Great job on this build. (and the other 2)
    I put my glass in before my dash, So no way to drill those holes. Are you using revnuts in the windshield frame?
    I have to change the order on my second car and move the glass to last.
    Bob

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast