Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Virginia DMV

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Virginia DMV

Well I started the game and after four weeks I'm loosing
    That may not be a fair statement but it is frustrating
    First you need form VSA17A then form VSA22 both readily available online with directions for the whole process you add your MCO and the title of the donor car a notorizied statement of how you built the car add $130 for title fees and inspection fee
    And tax for the kit and donor (4.1%) mix it all up and send it off to the branding center in Richmond DMV
    Then you wait for 3 weeks for them to send it all back to you and say its not right
    Ok mistakes I made
    I sent copies of MCO and Title with bill of sales and receipts
    I only sent receipts from FFR and only bill of sales I figured I bought everything else on line or at auto parts stores so I paid taxes already
    So today I took all my originals to Richmond
    They still wanted receipts for it all and I explained it was mostly bought on line and I didn't print every receipt
    I didn't send the original MCO and Title because I don't want to loose them in the Mail and wanted to hold them until they issued me a title that's not going to happen
    They took my MCO and title but still said my notorizied statement wasn't good enough
    My fault I thought saying what parts I used from the donor and put them on the frame with other parts from the kit and some after market parts following directions in the manual included with the kit would be good enough. Wrong again the lady kept saying it's like a recipe for baking a cake take two cups of flower put in the bowl mix in one cup of sugar two eggs etc etc
    I told her it was a 500 page manual should I include the manual? She said oh not that detailed
    So I wrote some stuff about the build in hand at the bottom of my notorizied statement and they said that would be Ok
    They now have it all and I still don't have a title or even know if they will really accept my notes on my statement or not and I get to wait some more
    If they accept it all they schedule an inspector to come visit (part of the $130 fees) and see if I'm telling the truth and the car looks road worthy then they will issue a VIN probably the serial number from the MCO which doesn't match the number on the plate FFR issued me (they left a zero out) but she assured me the state will provide a vin plate
    If I make it over these hurdles I get to go back to my local DMV to register then my local garage for my annual safety inspection
    So send your original titles and MCO and write a DETAILED notorizied statement of how you built the car
    Hopefully I won't have to wait another three weeks to hear from them again

Post Thanks / Like
    This is all great information, thanks for leading the way. A few questions:
    1. Did you register as a specially constructed vehicle?
    2. Did you have to have the 818 insured before you filled out the forms?
    3. Is is possible to register to register without the title from the donor? What if someone builds an 818 from a pallet of parts?
    4. Is there any person that can clarify parts of the forms before they are sent?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it's a specially constructed vehicle
    I think as long as you have a receipt for the pallet you should be Ok
    I have not gotten insurance yet but you will need it to register or pay the uninsured fees it's cheaper to insure
    The forms are pretty self explanatory one is application for title the other is application for VIN, they didn't question my forms

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, let us know how the rest of the process goes. I'm curious to know what the inspector will be looking for and how the safety inspection goes. I've talked to one safety inspection station and they mentioned that I'll need a defroster ("hot air needs to come out from below the windshield"). Hopefully I can find a station that will not require this since I only plan to drive the 818 during summer months. I do plan on having wipers.

Best of luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Also following this thread closely. I echo the above interest in safety requirements and how in depth the inspection will be.

I've heard some states wave the defroster requirement if the car has no top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Ok, let us know how the rest of the process goes. I'm curious to know what the inspector will be looking for and how the safety inspection goes. I've talked to one safety inspection station and they mentioned that I'll need a defroster ("hot air needs to come out from below the windshield"). Hopefully I can find a station that will not require this since I only plan to drive the 818 during summer months. I do plan on having wipers.

Best of luck
    Back in high school my shop class did an electric conversion of a VW Sirocco. This removed the heating system and with it the defroster. We wanted to drive it on the street, so we ended up getting a 12v travel hair dryer, crammed it into the dash and wired it to a switch. We never used it, but it was there so we passed inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a7i20ci7y View Post
    Back in high school my shop class did an electric conversion of a VW Sirocco. This removed the heating system and with it the defroster. We wanted to drive it on the street, so we ended up getting a 12v travel hair dryer, crammed it into the dash and wired it to a switch. We never used it, but it was there so we passed inspection.
    Yea, this is certainly an option. I'd probably get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0J5-12...lt+car+heaters

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the saga continues
    Friday I received a check from the DMV for $11.08 don't know why I paid them what they asked for then on Monday I got a call from a state inspector and set an appointment for him to come inpesct the VIN on the car
    At the DMV 3 weeks ago they said they would provide a VIN plate
    It seems FFR made a typo on my MCO added an extra zero in the serial number on my MCO so it doesn't match my number on the frame or on the tag they sent me.
    So I called FFR and they are sending me a new MCO that I can then take to or mail to Richmond DMV
    He passed the car for issuing a title as long as I get a MCO that matches the numbers on the frame
    He said it would be up to DMV if he would have to come back or if the number on the frame would be enough.
    Once I get the numbers to match they will issue me a title. Then I can go register it at my local DMV, and it will be up to my local safety inspections station as to if the car passes or not
    I don't have the wipers installed yet but he suggested I look up the inspection list and check off each item before I get it inspected
    I'm pretty sure all I will need is wipers

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update.

What exactly does the inspector look at when he comes out? Does he review your documents of how you built the car or really just focuses on the proof of ownership/vin?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he's just there verifying that I reported everything properly he did want to know the mileage and had a checklist but I really don't know what was on it
    If I had the numbers matching I think he might've had a vin plate with him
    He wasn't there for anything other than verifying the vin or in our case the serial numbers
    All the equipment inspection is up to your local yearly safety inspection

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a title I have a registration I have temporary plates
    All that's left is insurance and a state inspection that I probably have to get the wipers installed for
    Make sure you send originals for MCO titles for your donor or recipets for a palette
    Make sure you make a DETAILED statement of how you built the car and get it notorizied
    Remember 4.1% tax for the kit and donor.
    Make sure your serial number on the frame and the tag FFR gave you with the MCO matches the number on the MCO
    Fill out the forms I mentioned in the first post
    And you should get your inspection, title, and be able to register in about 3 weeks

Post Thanks / Like
    That is amazing news, thanks for paving the way for us and for these valuable tips!!! This gives me a lot of hope.

Can you say how much the fee was for not having the car insured at the time you sent the forms?

Post Thanks / Like
    OK I shouldn't have mentioned insurance it will be insured before it ever leaves the garage
    Besides it's going to rain for the next four days

Post Thanks / Like
    How detailed is your build sheet? Or how many pages is it?

Thanks for sharing this invaluable information. Looks like you're the first va 818!

Post Thanks / Like
    My detailed statement was like this
    I bought a wrecked wax in Florida stripped it apart and used the engine transmission wiring some suspension parts and the parts and frame from the kit to build the car
    They didn't think that was detailed enough
    I stood at the counter of the DMV and scrawled out some more about rebuilding the engine and axels buying new wheels from tire rack and mentioned I followed the directions in the 500 page manual that came with the kit
    I think if you give them around a page with the readers digest version you will be ok

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwarden View Post
    OK I shouldn't have mentioned insurance it will be insured before it ever leaves the garage
    Besides it's going to rain for the next four days
    I was just trying to figure out if it's worth getting the car insured before trying to apply for registration. I don't know what insurance will cost so I plan on getting a quote for that but if it's going to be expensive and that fee is small, I'd rather not insure until the spring but get the registration process rolling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to the dmv web site about this looks like it is $500
    https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicle...nsured_fee.asp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwarden View Post
    Here is a link to the dmv web site about this looks like it is $500
    https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicle...nsured_fee.asp
    Thanks, that's good to know. I'm just getting started on the body so I'll probably look to get insured and then registered in the spring.

National Corvette Museum, Bowling Green, KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on nearing the end of your build! If you need insurance, check us out. We are a new supporting vendor.

www.ncminsurance.com

Adam Boca

Post Thanks / Like
    went for my first legal drive this afternoon
    installed wipers and horn Sunday and passed inspection today

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Job ... now you are an expert in hoop jumping. What a pain...whew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your success getting through the VA DMV titling and registration swamp. I may be about to enter the same VA DMV swamp because I'm in the final stage of buying a Type 65.

The candidate Type 65 has been built for four years with just under 5,000 miles. It's described by the second owner as a Factory Five "2nd generation body," but not sure what that is. My potential show-stopper with this purchase is whether I can title and register it in VA or NC as a replica with regard to emission testing.

Engine is '93 5.0L Mustang. Car kit and engine were bought, assembled, titled, and registered in CA four years ago. The car successfully went through the California DMV SB100 replica application and process several years ago. For the past two years, it's been titled and registered in FL. I'm waiting to find from the seller what he has to support title transfer, registration, and inspection in VA (or NC).

I'm obviously not the original or secondary builder or owner, so I may not get all that may be required to show DMV proof and validation of the car's history and expenses.

I have properties in VA and NC, so am I likely to find DMV titling/registration/inspection success in either or both states, or am I likely to fail on the emissions check requirements? The car was suitably equipped and passed all the stringent needs for CA, but that may not matter with VA or NC.

I'm grateful for any helpful guidance. I haven't paid for the car yet, but the sale is pending and I may have to make a choice before I have replies on this forum.
    Last edited by SurferJoeToo; 10-20-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the seller has a title you will just need to transfer that title to yours in either state and register it off that title.
    If I remember and they haven't changed I don't think NC has any inspections like the yearly one required in Va. There are lots of people that live near the border that register in NC just for that reason.
    I also don't think NC requires a front license plate

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll also be registering in VA and I am picking up my engine and various donor parts a couple days and from a shell that will be scrapped. Will I be able to register if I don't have a title? I could write up a bill of sale with the donor car's VIN on it and have both parties sign I guess. Thoughts?
    FFR Build Status: Reset button hit
    '03 Subaru Impreza eSi RHD...because Japan

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was a good day, got my VA title and VIN plate!
    20180924_123028.jpg20180821_074523.jpg
    Overall, the process was fairly smooth and took about a month from the time I submitted my paperwork until I got my title. I thought it would take way longer but luckily that wasn't the case. I consider this step the biggest hurdle towards registration since now I just need to go to the DMV, like any other car, to get plates - easy! I thought I would share my experience.

With the help of the forum I was able to research all of the documents I needed to submit, which are mentioned above. It definitely took me a bit of time to gather everything and get organized. I tried to make the tax calculation easy for the DMV by totaling up all of my receipts for major items (818 kit, donor, new shortblock, rims, tires) on a separate sheet and identifying the other fees paid (Inspection $125, VIN plate $10, Title $10). Tax was 4.15%. I also had to make a notarized build statement, which ended up being 4 pages of pictures and text (many, many pictures). I got that notarized at the UPS store for $5 since my bank wouldn't do it. There aren't many guidelines for this statement other than to be detailed about where and when you got the major items, what parts were used, what tools were used, at which stage did things get done, etc. This was when the build thread was useful. Keep in mind when applying for a title and VIN, the vehicle has to be "complete". You'll need to provide a copy of your drivers license and utility bill to show proof of residency in VA. Also, I don't think this is necessarily required but I included a copy of my insurance quote (from NCM).

I dropped off my stack of paperwork at the DMV HQ on 8/22/18. This was only 2 hours away from my job in Herndon so I drove down to Richmond and was back by lunch time. Very straight forward, just ask for someone from branding and salvage at the front desk and after a few minutes someone came and took my papers. They did a quick check and told me one of the fees went from $5 to $10 so I just wrote a new check. This probably saved me a little back and forth if I had shipped things. The person was very nice and said this was one of the cleanest applications they had gotten

Fast forward to today - a special agent came by to check the chassis number on the frame and within 5 min he had riveted on the VIN plate and given me the title! Now I can take my time with the final details of the build over the fall and winter and hopefully be driving come spring! I can't thank the forum enough for helping me though this process.

Cheers!

27. Likes Bob_n_Cincy, Kiwi Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sent in my VIN application and they received it on Nov 14. I haven't yet heard anything and I'm starting to get nervous as it's been over 2 months. Going to try to have to give the DMV a call - which I'm not looking forward to. Hopefully the holidays slowed things down a bit and that's all it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely follow up. If your submission is approved, the next step will be they give you a bill for taxes owed. Once I paid the taxes, it took only 2 weeks to get the inspection done and title printed. One difference is I went to the DMV in person. They took my information and within 30 minutes came back with the tax bill. I wrote a check and was contacted by the officer the following week to schedule the inspection. Good luck, you are close to realizing the dream!
    Mk4 Complete kit #8469: Levy Racing Stage 5 with Inglese stack. TKO 600, 3 link rear suspension. FAST Sportsman with dyno-tune. APE hardtop. Father & Son project, delivered Nov 2014, completed June 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Success! I hadn't gotten to contacting the DMV but was planning to when I received a call from a trooper to set up a time to attach the VIN plate. As of today I officially have a VIN!

Woot!

31. Likes Mitch Wright, mikeb75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Congrats!
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits