Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: 20th Anniversary MK4 Build Thread - #10 of 20 - #8697

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post
    Just beautiful, congratulations on doing the paint yourself. I'm guessing you saved thousands and it looks amazing. Can't wait to see it put back on.
    I'm sure everyone is different, but I probably did not save much money at all. I bought a nice paint gun and a primer gun, quality air filters and new hoses, way too much paint because I was not sure and wanted to be on the safe side, all the air movers and booth filters and floor coverings etc. The list goes on, but for me it was more of a 'Built not Bought' decision. I've never worried about time or money on my project. I just consider it a hobby like an avid golfer might have and I just spread the cost over time and don't worry about it.

I would get a good plan if anyone wants to paint it themselves in order to save money. Include the amount of work and aggravation because it's not trivial. Cleanup alone is an ordeal. I have a Crawfish Boil every year with about 125 people over at the house and I'd rather cleanup after 3 of those than one paint job.

Also, I may have to wait a while for it to get on the car. My honey-do-list is backed up pretty good at this point!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RRussellTx View Post
    I'm sure everyone is different, but I probably did not save much money at all. I bought a nice paint gun and a primer gun, quality air filters and new hoses, way too much paint because I was not sure and wanted to be on the safe side, all the air movers and booth filters and floor coverings etc. The list goes on, but for me it was more of a 'Built not Bought' decision. I've never worried about time or money on my project. I just consider it a hobby like an avid golfer might have and I just spread the cost over time and don't worry about it.

I would get a good plan if anyone wants to paint it themselves in order to save money. Include the amount of work and aggravation because it's not trivial. Cleanup alone is an ordeal. I have a Crawfish Boil every year with about 125 people over at the house and I'd rather cleanup after 3 of those than one paint job.

Also, I may have to wait a while for it to get on the car. My honey-do-list is backed up pretty good at this point!
    That makes a lot of sense actually. My plan is to do all the body work and prep then have a pro shoot it. Also I enjoyed reading your story. My condolences on your friend. You did the right thing.

I host a block party every May roughly the same number of people. Your analogy definitely helped put it in perspective for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post
    That makes a lot of sense actually. My plan is to do all the body work and prep then have a pro shoot it. Also I enjoyed reading your story. My condolences on your friend. You did the right thing. )
    Good plan having someone shoot it!

Thanks for the condolences on my buddy Ron. He was a good man and a good friend. He served in Desert Storm and married his wife when he got home. She told a story at the funeral that she never opened a door when he was with her and in 27 years she never put a drop of gas in her car. He treated her like a princess.