BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  48
Likes Likes:  504
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kit 075 Restart

Post Thanks / Like
    The tedious part on the console was to get it to fit required careful sanding along the bottom of the unit. I wanted to make sure the fit was snug, wouldn't squeak and creak, and that it was aligned correctly. As it sits, it sits slightly off to the passenger side, about 1/4 of an inch. The unit I bought was the elongated unit meant to go back to the back of the cab. My seats were mounted and I could not get that portion to fir between the seats. I opted to trim off the lower portion of the console even with the armrest that does fit between the seats. I will cap off the back of the console so the armrest fits snug against it. Also began to fit the door panels, I am going to use rivnuts for the door panels. I still need to mount the electronic door poppers, hook them and the electric windows up, and install the inside cab door handles. rapidly getting down to putting the brake on, then we will get the car registered. Custom Radio in Knoxville Tennessee is working up a sound system for the car.

Console-12.jpgConsole-14.jpgConsole-15.jpgConsole-16.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So I had decided to rivet the panels to the doors. I am not much of a craftsman. I think it turned out really good. I am either going to have to go back and redo the driver's side panel or figure out some way to jazz it up and cover the extra holes. I know exactly what to do to the passenger side now.

Door Panel-1.jpgDoor Panel-2.jpgDoor Panel-3.jpgDoor Panel-4.jpgDoor Panel-7.jpgDoor Panel-8.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wrp; 06-21-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's a real beauty you are putting together! Sorry, I hadn't seen this thread previously. Looking REAL good!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David, my craftsmanship pales compared to some of these build threads. I do have several friends that have pitched in and helped. Dan and Tim are also really big help too.

Post Thanks / Like
    What an incredible experience. All that is between me and getting the registration inspection is the brake. Car sat out at the shop for months and they couldn't figure it out. No pictures of the hookup in the pre-2009 manual we had. The new manual doesn't have the same parts. I brought the car home and decided to do it myself. I looked in the old manual. I looked in the new manual. I looked through the remaining parts numerous times. Looked up the brake install in several forums, youtube, and google. So I get down this road with the Ford Explorer Clevis' and the Lokar cables. I have the Yukon 11.65 brakes from 2009. Can't tell what parts I have and don't since I cannot find a reference picture. Read a couple of good articles on the Clevis and bought two. Still have a problem figuring out how to mount them on the cables. Solved that. Went out and bought the Lokar kit today, figured it would be easier to use with the Ford Explorer Clevis. Cam home and began the install not totally sure but confident I can work it out. So I follow the instructions on the Lokar kit, went to tighten the cable housing to the Backing plate bracket. Well the cable housing won't quite fit in the bracket. Seems to be soft aluminum so ****, I will just pull it through by tightening the nut. ****!! so I destroyed one of the locker cable Housings. found the original FFR cables and tried them, viola they fit. No problem, I can take the Ford Explorer Clevis and fit it on the Lokar cable and pull that through the FFR housing. That was about the time I noticed the FFR Yukon Brake Parking brake lever already had slots for the cable in on the FFR cables. ****!. So I placed the good FFR cable on the car and discovered the ring retainer that held the cable housing to the bracket is missing. Cannot find it anywhere. ****. Went through McMaster Carr and ordered 700-800 different brings hoping one of them will fit when they arrive. I have now cut the end off one of the FFR cables to pull it out of the housing. It has been a bad day. At least now I pretty much know everything I need to know about the brake so I should be able to fab my way out of this mess.I have picts of how to set up the brake handle, the cable going to the handle, and the t-bar that brings the two rear cables in. I do not have a picture of the actual bracket that would join the two cables together to the single cable hooked to the brake handle. Any pics would be appreciated.Sorry for the rant.Its hard when you are stupid.

eBrake-1.jpgeBrake-4.jpgeBrake-6.jpgeBrake-7.jpgeBrake-8.jpgeBrake-16.jpgeBrake-17.jpgeBrake-19.jpgeBrake-20.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So to continue this sage. Called Factory Five today and bought another cable to replace the one I destroyed. Learned that I really don't need a retainer clip. Also got some useful install pics for the new brake handle and cables. So here are some pictures of the progress.

eBrake-23.jpgeBrake-23.jpgeBrake-25.jpgeBrake-29.jpgeBrake-30.jpgeBrake-32.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    what size wheels and tires are you running?

Post Thanks / Like
    285x40x17 on 17 by 10 on the rear and 205x50x16 on 16 by 8 on the front

Post Thanks / Like
    It was great to meet you the other day, I cant wait until I see your car finished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look forward to letting you drive it

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay so I bought the broken cable from FFR and it will be in Tuesday. I finally figured out that the emergency brake handle, the old kit models are just Ford parts. Once I figured that out I was able to look up how to put things together. Turns out the parking brakes may be the easiest thing I have tried to do on the car. Everything is pretty well in place, waiting on the other cable and have to get another longer bolt for the front of the brake release lever. We had put together the interior thinking we were going to do an electric brake but changed my mind just wanting to get it done. Had to clean out the opening for the lever to stick through the floor and drill out the holes to bolt it down. The cables snapped into place and it bolted straight up. I even think the shifter arm looks okay in the passenger side.
    Last edited by wrp; 07-29-2016 at 06:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So waiting on the cable to get here eat arrival is Tuesday. Meanwhile thought I would work on the Roller. I'd like to use the roller but it just wasn't aligned so it would drop in. Putting it on through the waterfall didn't look to be that exciting either. So I sanded down the lower legs so they would fit better in the mount brackets on the car. I just worked on them until the bar slide into place without binding on either side. Was a pain to get it right.

RollbAR-1.jpgRollbar-2.jpgRollbar-3.jpgRollbar-4.jpgRollbar-5.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Pushing towards registration within the next couple of weeks. Left the car off with the ASE Master Technician who has to certify it for DMV. One of our first efforts was to adjust the pedals. He brought the clutch and brake pedals down about three-four inches and raised the accelerator about 2 inches and moved it to the right. This enables me to now plant my heel on the floor and press the accelerator then move my toe to the brake pedal without lifting my heel from the same spot. Magnificent difference in the drivability feel. I had been under the impression you could not adjust the pedals that much.
    Last edited by wrp; 09-17-2016 at 06:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also getting ready for registration mounted the license plate and hooked up the LED lights to illuminate them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also remounted my seats. I could not get the console between the seats when they were lowered. I raised them with Aluminum Channel and ensured my grade 8 bolts went through the subframe braces. Made for a much steadier platform. I may have to lower them later but I am only 5'8" so I might be ab le to pull it off. Adjusting the pedals made a ton of difference too.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, finally got the console solidly installed. Suggestion for anyone using the excellent piece from Dan Ruth. Make yourself a cardboard or wooden mock up and play with it through door and seat adjustments to ensure you have everything exactly where you want it before cutting on the piece. Dan put these together with a great deal of thought and if it isn't fitting you probably ought to look at the things you've done first rather than at the console itself. If that isn't a strong enough hint, I will admit I butchered the beautiful console and have spent no small amount of time correcting the heinous decisions I made on cutting and fitment. I am not unhappy with the results. The console is solidly mounted. I have a tail piece or extension that I am still fabricating but the last mockup from thin gauge aluminum is in place and I will use it as a pattern to cut the final piece. I can get the console out of the car by unbolting four separate brackets and have trimmed it to access the under dash components as necessary. John Bradley of Custom Radio in Knoxville TN is going to out the sound system in.

Console-42.jpgConsole-43.jpgConsole-59.jpgConsole-62.jpgConsole-63.jpgConsole-76.jpgConsole-77.jpgConsole-78.jpgConsole-78.jpgConsole-79.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 09-17-2016 at 06:11 AM.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great work WRP! If I had known a little earlier in the build that I would be modifying the e-brake and console as much, I would have made the whole tunnel about an inch narrower. The top of the drive shaft tunnel would be cut and narrowed. The entire console and instruments have to come back towards the driver if you wear a harness and the e-brake either comes back and up, changes orientation, or goes between the seats. I really don't think FFR anticipated how much Rodders would modify these kits. The seat frame and mounting from FFR is either really poorly executed or someone forgot to put directions in the manual and parts in the bill of material. Of course they think we all built a mkIII before we built the rod.
    Keep the photos coming. 075 may make it easier for 750 and beyond!

Post Thanks / Like
    I strongly considered an Electronic parking brake. I wished I had done so but getting it together became sort of a priority. I was a little put off by the difficulty in console which is an add on. Also there were a few things that were not intuitive. Others have pointed out mistakes that have saved me a lot of time and money. I think I could build a second one fairly straight forward now. I also may well have my seats too high but once I get everything else put together I can address it. So the car has been down a few days due to the starter going out last week. I had it rebuilt and put it back in today. Really was tough on me arms so I had to get my son in law to come help. Everything is back together now. Also put the backslashing together and reinstalled the roll bar. Car needs a serious tuning session. Next thing I am going to do is cover or fabricate a better tailpiece. Here are some pictures of today's activities.

Starter-3.jpgStarter-3.jpgMike-1.jpgInterior-62.jpgInterior-63.jpgInterior-64.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 09-17-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi WRP, watching closely to see how things go with your seat height. I am only 5'10" and getting shorter with time and with my seats just placed in the car it seemed a little low so I am interested in hearing what you think after the brackets were added. Take care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, the picture above shows my son-in-law who is 5'6". At 5'8" my eyes are just over the top of the windscreen. I am thinking I am going to have to reduce them. At some point I will get around to the hard top as well and I am sure that will have another set of issues.

Mike-1.jpgMike-2.jpgMike-3.jpgMike-4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks WRP.

Post Thanks / Like
    So a couple of new items. Today got a deal on a pair of LS motors. a 4.8 and a 5.3. I am thinking of the 4.8 in the 33 Ford and the 5.3 in my 200,000 mile pickup.

LS 4.8-1.jpgLS 4.8-2.jpgLS 4.8-3.jpgLS 5.3-1.jpgLS 5.3-2.jpgLS 5.3-3.jpgLS 5.3-3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Also am putting together a wooden plug for the console tail piece. Anyone here use a wooden plug to create a fiberglass mold? What can I seal the porous wood with to be able to put a smooth finish on it? Finished the cockpit cover and starting to fit the roll that goes along the back of the cockpit.

Interior-64.jpgInterior-66.jpgInterior-67.jpgInterior-69.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So I took the rear valance over to an upholstery shop today to get some embroidery done. The guy at the shop recommended I use a Quick-Latch way to attach it to the car in the event I wanted to have it stable yet removable. Frankly, after 6 years the glue had given way and the cover was separating from the fram. Anyhow, picked up 6 Quik Latches, minis, and installed them. We are going to mount the latch buttons to the cover.

Interior-75.jpgInterior-76.jpgInterior-70.jpgInterior-71.jpgInterior-72.jpgInterior-73.jpgInterior-74.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So I am finishing up the car with a few loose ends and so forth. A few days ago the car died and wouldn't start. I will admit last Holley I touched was nearly 40 years ago so I started studying, watched every video on you tube, generally worked hard to diagnose the problem. Was sitting in the car this afternoon and turned the key on and noticed the gas tank was on empty. I thought it couldn't be that easy but it sure was. so with a red face I put a gallon in the car and she fired right up. Went out and got a 5 gallon can and thought, we worked hard on the fuel filler, let's see how that works. Put 5 gallons of gasoline in in under 2 minutes. Awesome. Enjoy the video.

https://youtu.be/aJTETX2T9Sk

Post Thanks / Like
    May have mentioned it before but one of my learning opportunities came when I bought Dan's Console. It was a totally beautiful piece well done. It needed a little tweaking to fit. Since I had mounted the seats first, I could not get the console to fit. So, I cut it off. Once I figured out the fitment I considered buying another to do it right but I already had the piece fit and secure to the dash and tunnel. All I needed was to secure the back of it. I decided to make my own tailpiece for the console. I have always wanted to do fiberglass and carbon fiber casting but had never really had the follow through. After viewing every part casting video on YouTube I bought resin, hardener, and some really nice 6 ounce clothe from Total Boat. I bought some Pink Panther foam insulation from Home Depot and tried a couple of different types of glue before I settled on Gorilla Glue for the foam. Didn't have the hot knife so I basically stuck to fairly simple geometric shapes and whittled out a pretty fair plug. I actually had already built one from wood but had sanded it too small to fit the back of the console.. I have a friend who is a Chemical Engineer and who has built a complete fiberglassed airplane car. He coached me some msg I charged forward. Right out of the bat I screwed up the resin to hardener mix and destroyed my first plug. Made another plug and figured out I had done the mix wrong. I had bought fast cure resin and hardener. My friend told me that was probably not a good idea. Anyhow, made another plug and laid the glass down. Put down three layers and it turned out okay. My friend gave me some carbon fiber cloth and I went back and added it. I still have to put a finish on the CF but I think it turned out fine. I am thinking of casting another and putting a console compartment in it.

Glass-1.jpgGlass-6.jpgGlass-12.jpgGlass-24.jpgGlass-42.jpgGlass-49.jpgGlass-53.jpgGlass-77.jpgGlass-93.jpgGlass-103.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very nice!
    Hope to see it in person one of these days.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=wrp;251694] the gas tank was on empty. Went out and got a 5 gallon can and thought, we worked hard on the fuel filler, let's see how that works. Put 5 gallons of gasoline in in under 2 minutes.

Always enjoy following your build;
    A lot of us have run the 33 out of gas on the learning curve, often from a mis-matched/calibrated fuel gauge.
    It just amazes me that a company that can create several different models of well crafted cars from scratch did such a lousy job of designing the fuel tank/fill on the 33.
    Then fails to re-design the tank to fill properly after selling over 600 of the 33 hotrods. More 33 owners need to raise he!! about this issue until they change the tank design.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    Very nice!
    Hope to see it in person one of these days.
    Lets get together. Have you registered one yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my Texas ASE Master Tech certification the other day. Pending the insurance then off to get her tagged. L.D. Automotive in Frisco did the Inspection. Anyone in North Texas, they are a really good bunch that understand our cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Lets get together. Have you registered one yet?
    Sounds good. I have registered a roadster, but have not seen a '33 in person yet.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully be at Plano c&c 1st Saturday of Nov

https://youtu.be/bKN2-26dVD4
    Last edited by wrp; 10-19-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, one more thing

Registration-43.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Put the sideview mirrors on, now going to lower the seats

Mirror-1.jpgMirror-2.jpgMirror-3.jpgMirror-4.jpgMirror-5.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great little helper!! Interior looks good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Been working hard to setup the Holley Carb. Had to relearn a heck of a lot of the old school tech. The upside is I have been driving the wheels off this car. It is a hoot to drive and everyone loves it. I get more comments on it in a single outing than the average person gets in a month on other cars. Even had a guy in a ZR-1 Vette compliment it.

Typical day cruising around

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good, when are you going to install the twins?

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast