Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Frustrated Waiting for Backordered Parts

Post Thanks / Like

Frustrated Waiting for Backordered Parts

Hi, Sorry that this is my first post. I had hoped to be be building our hot rod and being part of this community. However, we have been waiting for some front suspension parts that are backordered (as well as quite a few other parts) for more than a month. As this is the first step of building, it is kind of disappointing for us. I realize that the backordered part thing is probably normal but I must admit, I'm getting a bit frustrated with simply trying to find out when these parts would ship.

As of Monday, Jay told me that the bushing sleeves and the flange bolts were available (the only 2 of the 20 or so parts I'm waiting for that I care about right now) and he instructed Eddy in shipping to ship them ASAP. I waited until Wednesday and got no notification that anything had shipped so I sent an email asking if they would ship this week. I heard nothing again so I called this morning and talked to Jay. He told me that he had talked to Eddy twice and had no idea why they hadn't shipped but he said he would talk to him as soon as he got in after his doctors appointment. I asked him if he could update me on when they would ship and he told me I would get an email when the Fedex shipment was sent out. Once again, the day passed and I heard nothing.

Now, I'm trying my best to be patient, but I truly don't understand the combination of parts not being available for this long and either being given misinformation, or no information at all. It isn't the way I believe that customers should be treated.

I think that sums up my frustration and I don't want this to turn into a rant. Instead, I'm hoping that someone can help me understand that this isn't an issue and help me find a way to enjoy building a project that my son and I are really excited about but feel like something fishy is going on with the company. Either that, or finding a way to actually get accurate information and the parts that I'm waiting for.

Again, sorry and thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't get frustrated, back orders are normal, remember, they ship you 10,000 parts made by multiple vendors. Sometimes a few parts run out. Do what I did, move on to something else. Even though I had a few parts back ordered for two months, I never ran out of work to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwein View Post
    As this is the first step of building, it is kind of disappointing for us.
    My best advise for you is to learn how to pivot. You're not the first one to think that the assembly manual is a bible to be followed to the letter. I have built my own car and quite a few others. The first thing to start with in my opinion is/are the fuel and brake lines. Many people jump in and assemble the suspension, add the aluminum panels only to find out, oops all that stuff is in the way of getting the fuel and brake lines in. There is no better time than now to get those in and not have anything else in the way.

The parts will be there soon, so don't worry. If at this point, one month in, you are having this amount of frustration with backorders you may not have a rewarding build experience the rest of the way. I don't want to be grim but I have noticed that first posts that mirror your own often times end up with builders that quickly lose interest and move on to something else. There are plenty of things to do you simply have to move on to other things.

One thing you could do is update your profile here on the forum. That will allow you to find others in your area that have build experience they may want to share with you. I routinely go and help new builders who have hit that brick wall in their build and help to move their build forward. The most important thing I can share with any new builder is to walk away for some time if the build becomes less than fun. If it becomes a "job", you will loose interest and end up with a bunch of car parts in your garage and not a car.
    Last edited by frankeeski; 09-26-2015 at 12:25 AM.
    Frank

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do not worry. This is normal. Like others said move on to other things. All will come in due time.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's crazies like us that have fun drilling and clecoing foot box panels for a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    My best advise for you is to learn how to pivot. You're not the first one to think that the assembly manual is a bible to be followed to the letter. I have built my own car and quite a few others. The first thing to start with in my opinion is/are the fuel and brake lines. Many people jump in and assemble the suspension, add the aluminum panels only to find out, oops all that stuff is in the way of getting the fuel and brake lines in. There is no better time than now to get those in and not have anything else in the way.

The parts will be there soon, so don't worry. If at this point, one month in, you are having this amount of frustration with backorders you may not have a rewarding build experience the rest of the way. I don't want to be grim but I have noticed that first posts that mirror your own often times end up with builders that quickly lose interest and move on to something else. There are plenty of things to do you simply have to move on to other things.

One thing you could do is update your profile here on the forum. That will allow you to find others in your area that have build experience they may want to share with you. I routinely go and help new builders who have hit that brick wall in their build and help to move their build forward. The most important thing I can share with any new builder is to walk away for some time if the build becomes less than fun. If it becomes a "job", you will loose interest and end up with a bunch of car parts in your garage and not a car.
    I just want to say thanks for this and other similar posts. I think it was really just not knowing what to expect and these posts put our minds at ease. My son and I thought long and hard about this project before we embarked on it and know that we will enjoy seeing it through. We're now going to look through the build manual and figure out what we would like to work on and then have fun doing it. Also, I will update our profile as you suggested.

Again, many thanks. I'll post in the future as we make progress and have any questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm personally going through the same waiting game for backordered parts for my Roadster picked up on August 5th. So I feel your pain. There's an aspect of it that's understandable given the complexity and number of parts. FF does a good job of keeping track of what they still owe you, and you can call and ask about status whenever you like. But unfortunately this is all something especially first-time buyers don't learn about until delivery, and the actual parts on backorder also isn't known until delivery. So hang in there like others have suggested. There should be plenty for you to work on while waiting. I personally have an opinion that's a bit different than what's already been given though. One of the big challenges, again especially for first-time builders, is understanding how various systems, parts, etc. all coexist. For example, I would be very careful about running fuel, brakes, and even electrical wiring until front and rear suspensions are in place. There are no cookie cutter builds. Every one is different in various aspects. The more you can mock up before drilling and mounting anything the better off you're going to be. Just my opinion, FWIW.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I'm personally going through the same waiting game for backordered parts for my Roadster picked up on August 5th. So I feel your pain. There's an aspect of it that's understandable given the complexity and number of parts. FF does a good job of keeping track of what they still owe you, and you can call and ask about status whenever you like. But unfortunately this is all something especially first-time buyers don't learn about until delivery, and the actual parts on backorder also isn't known until delivery. So hang in there like others have suggested. There should be plenty for you to work on while waiting. I personally have an opinion that's a bit different than what's already been given though. One of the big challenges, again especially for first-time builders, is understanding how various systems, parts, etc. all coexist. For example, I would be very careful about running fuel, brakes, and even electrical wiring until front and rear suspensions are in place. There are no cookie cutter builds. Every one is different in various aspects. The more you can mock up before drilling and mounting anything the better off you're going to be. Just my opinion, FWIW.
    Thanks for the advice Edward. We decided to move on to the pedal box as it's pretty isolated. However, a single plate for the clutch quadrant is on backorder so we didn't get too far, lol. We went out and bought an engine hoist just to have it ready when the day arrives. The next step after the clutch box appears to be the aluminum and we decided to wait until we finish the suspension/pedal box until we start that. We'll look beyond that and see if there is anything else that is isolated that wouldn't have the issues you mention for fuel/brake lines. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Last edited by Redwein; 09-26-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwein View Post
    Thanks for the advice Edward. We decided to move on to the pedal box as it's pretty isolated. However, a single plate for the clutch quadrant is on backorder so we didn't get too far, lol. We went out and bought an engine hoist just to have it ready when the day arrives. The next step after the clutch box appears to be the aluminum and we decided to wait until we finish the suspension/pedal box until we start that. We'll look beyond that and see if there is anything else that is isolated that wouldn't have the issues you mention for fuel/brake lines. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Have to be a little careful giving Hot Rod advice since I have zero experience with them. But drawing from my Roadster experience, pedal box is a good start. Did the same thing a couple weeks ago on my new build. Even without the piece you described, you should be able to get it installed at least temporarily in the chassis. Another candidate is the gas tank. That's what I worked on this week. Take a look at various subassemblies, like hood hinges, e-brake, etc. You should be able to do work fitting and drilling aluminum panels. Just cleco them in for now. Then there's always body work. Not sure what you're planning there, but lots of work cleaning up, trimming edges, etc. Those are some things that come to mind. Good luck and enjoy!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly, work on sub assemblies. Have you mounted the brakes on the rear end? Have you drilled all the panels? Assemble a bunch of the smaller assemblies, headlights, gas tank, engine, trans, brakes, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing to do, IF you are going to paint your car, is to at least scuff all the gel coat before you start drilling holes and putting the body together. I wish I had done that.

Post Thanks / Like
    The wait is the hardest job! I am in Canada and I had to wait 12 weeks after paying for my kit just to clear the paper work for transport Canada. I still have some parts on back order! I was told on Friday that the bushing sleeve is coming this week. I have moved on to peddle box and brake lines. You can start assembling things like calipers front spindles and drill out rivets. It is normal not to get a reply from an email unfortunately. Just keep on pushing on and keep your eye on the end result. Good luck!