Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just curious, "Is it Original?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just curious, "Is it Original?"

I'm a Cobra owner but really like the 33's and follow many of the builds. (may be my next build )

So.... I get this question all the time "Is it Original?", immediately followed by "Oh, it's a kit-car". I try not to let it bother me and usually I have a enjoyable discussion with most people that ask. (did run into a jerk last month that insisted on downgrading it)

Just wondering if you guys get this. I think both FFRs (Cobra & 33) are superior to the originals, the 33 even more so.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I get the same thing no matter what I drive. Some of the hot rod guys think that anything fiberglass is inferior to what they paid mega-bucks to drive.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    My thinking is if it was an original car I wouldn't drive it as much as an original car. Besides what hot rod is original?

Post Thanks / Like
    I go to quite a few shows and enjoy staying around my Roadster and talking to people. I've received the "Is it real" question dozens of time. I quickly respond it's a replica. The same as it says on my car show sign. Most are OK with that, and understand why it's not. Some are jerks about it, like it's somehow less of a car because it's a replica, and I really try to not let it bother me. I'm not into the smart-aleck responses that some like. There is a certain amount of snobbery in car show circles with some people (certainly not all) and especially it seems toward "kit" or replica cars. Stay above it. You're not going to change their behavior. Most will appreciate it for what it is, especially when they realize you built it.

Having said that, I overheard a conversation standing over the open engine compartment of my Roadster at a show several weeks ago. The one guy said to the other, "I just can't figure out why people would spend any money on these replicas when they could have a real one." I was counting how many things were wrong with this statement, and just about got up and responded. But I resisted. Just no point.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-05-2015 at 01:09 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I carry a MKIII booklet with me under the driver's seat. If your "jerk" had started with me, I would have shown him the "kit car" chassis that FFR produces. If that doesn't convince him this is a serious race car, he's probably not that smart. Most people I've shown it to can't believe it. I give them the elevator speech and they usually go away with a different opinion of FFRs, at least. Most appreciate these cars when you give them the tour. Another thing is that for some time now about 5 out of 10 people who approach me, don't ask if it's real, they say, "is it a Factory Five?" When I first bought mine, I would have never predicted that they would be so well known less than 10 years later.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 68 barracuda has the "wrong" engine and is a coupe instead of a fastback. When asked if its "original" my response is usually "If you're asking does it matter??" When asked if its real I either say 'no, its a hologram" or "yes its real fast". The arrogance to ignorance ratio seems to be a multiplier at some shows.

Post Thanks / Like
    But it is a kit car.... You buy the kit and build it yourself... I agree that it is a very high quality kit car.

But that doesn't make it any less fun or real!!

Post Thanks / Like

Horse shows

I was just reading all the comments above and have built 2 cobra reps, one in 82, the other in 90 so I was in them way before "kits" we're actually around. I even had an AC acea
    original, and bought a cobra front end fiberglass takeoff from Steve Arntz in California,back around 68. With that I digress, so my point here is 98 % of the tire kickers out there at the car shows are just that, know little about anything, but have an opinion of someone else's stuff. Most times I just said yeah it's real and they didn't know the difference. A good friend of mine(now deceased) always said "" there's always more horses butts* at a horse show than horses". Nuff said!
    Last edited by FI 427; 09-10-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't said much on the forums yet. Hope to pick up my 33 FF Roadster on the 18th. Agreement has been reached and the check is in hand. It isn't yet complete but has a lot of unique and innovative tweaks. I guess I don't get the honor of saying I built it but I have been studying you guys for years and will be very proud to own one. People said the same thing about my 04 GTO, they aren't real etc. I let the car shut them up. I'd think these cars will speak for themselves too. It will take a while to finish the car. I know I am bad about letting stuff like that get to me and winking the tuner into turning the boost up. I promise you all it will be a fun ride. I will confess I have asked some owners if their Cobras were "kit cars." It was always meant to be a respectful question though, and especially when they told me is was a Factory Five Car. In the future I will be more mindful of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    The question doesn't bother me at all, they are just expressing interest. No reason to be defensive, or lie. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished my 818. So far, I have been proud to tell people it's a kit car. Most younger people know nothing about the crappy kits of past decades. Other people are impressed by the look, sound and performance. The few people that sneer at it are just showing their ignorance, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing they say affects the joy I got from building it, and now get from driving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I can understand why a car show noob would ask if a FF Roadster or 33 Hot Rod was "real". I'll leave the Roadster guys to figure out THEIR answer. However, in the case of our 33 Hot Rods, it begs the question, "What's the real definition of a Hot Rod?" My definition has always been that a "real" Hot Rod is any car that someone BUILT to meet his or her own personal definition/need of performance and "coolness" - no matter whether it's built of fiberglass, steel or what-have-you. So my answer to the question, "Is it real?" will always be, "Yes, it's a REAL Hot Rod!"
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    The term "kit car" has real negative connotations from the 70's through mid 80's.

A resto-mod pick 50's pickup up or 60's Camaro and add a modern chassis, LS3 engine and brakes and custom interior is just as much a "kit" car as a factory five. Or is it the other way around. Custom built from ground up. Whats the difference. Take that pick up or Camaro and add new aftermarket tins or fiberglass hood and the only thing original is the rear quarter panels.

Seriously you all need a new term. These are not "kit cars", kit cars had household door hinges etc.... They are cars you built. Big difference. In the end this is where SL-C's, Ultima's, GTM's and 818 will always fair better in that conversion as they re not "replicas" of anything which is synonymous with kit cars, incorrectly I might add. But people got to hate.

BTW who wants a real cobra anyhow. Eewwww.

Try Component car or just plain old Hot Rod as stated.