BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Titled & Registered in Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Titled & Registered in Texas

Today I took all my stack of paper work to the nearest Texas Department of Motor Vehicles to apply for a Title and Registration for my MK4. After about 1 1/2 hours, I had my temporary paper plate and my car registered. I had to basically talk the agent through the whole process of forms for a Custom Vehicle. He had to go to his supervisor several times to get clarification on each required form. I should get my plates and title in 2 to 3 weeks. For now, it's legal to drive on the street. All I can say is just follow the Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual exactly and you can't go wrong. I first picked up insurance from Midwest. Then I hired a flatbed truck to take my MK4 to the nearest weigh scale. It weighed 2240 lbs. The hardest thing was getting the ASE Safety Inspection by a Certified Master ASE Technician. It took me a while to find one that was close to my house. Before I really start driving it on the road, I need an alignment, brake pads seated, speedometer calibrated and rear axle brace welded. Then I can have some fun before I take it to the body shop for a beautiful paint job. I'm a happy camper!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean about the ASE Master Tech racket - I had to visit 7 shops before I found one that would do my inspection. Frankly a bit frustrating for the state to come up with a process that shops can refuse to do because of liability worries.

But the best part of all this - now you don't ever have to get your car inspected ever again!
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! She looks great even in gel coat.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure to bring it to the Texas Cobra Club Meet in San Marcos next March so we can see it.
    This website will be updated for next year's event. Come join us. The Hill Country awaits.

Duh, here is the website.
    http://www.texascobrameet.com/
    Last edited by seagull81; 10-07-2015 at 08:29 AM.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, i hope to get mine registered by next spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrads looks good in gel coat too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I'm getting close to the same stage with a '33 HR in Granbury, TX. I talked with a tech who does my inspections on bikes and cars, he said "you are not going to like what I have to say, as of 2015 the kits must have all the equipment including emissions to get the inspection completed. Obviously you didn't have the same issues. It looks like you needed windshield wipers? The official website for approved technical inspectors is very sparse up here, one in Arlington and one in WACO neither has returned my calls.

DonHood.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by donshapansky View Post
    Bob, I'm getting close to the same stage with a '33 HR in Granbury, TX. I talked with a tech who does my inspections on bikes and cars, he said "you are not going to like what I have to say, as of 2015 the kits must have all the equipment including emissions to get the inspection completed. Obviously you didn't have the same issues. It looks like you needed windshield wipers? The official website for approved technical inspectors is very sparse up here, one in Arlington and one in WACO neither has returned my calls.

DonHood.JPG
    Your 33 hot rod looks great. Your car does not need an emissions check. Go to online Form VTR-852 at TxDMV.gov. This form is the Same for a street rod or Custom Vehicles. Texas does require windshield wipers. Also on line download a copy of the Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual. This is what I used to assemble all my required Documents and Forms. If you follow this guide, you will be able to get your hot rod titled and registered. The hardest thing to find is a ASE Certified Master Mechanic. I was lucky and found 2 miles from my home. Don't forget to get a weight certificate. Let me know if you need any help interpreting the forms. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I titled another roadster earlier this week. Although I had the ASE inspection, I had to go to a regular inspection station and have them do a $7.00 safety inspection also.

The office I went to could not figure out a work around for the drop down menu selections on the inspection thing. The new procedure where the inspection is built into the registration was the issue.

Just a heads up in case anyone else runs into that issue. It's not really a problem, just another step.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
    I had the ASE inspection
    Where did you find the ASE inspector?
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to find an ASE Certified Master Mechanic on line, but had no luck. Then I tried calling several of the auto repair shops. I was lucky to find the owner of a repair shop that had a Master certificate. Most places only have ASE Certified Mechanics, but not a "Master". The inspection certainly doesn't need a Master Mechanic, but that's what Texas requires. Good Luck on the hunt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulaions on getting it registered, clearly a nice achievement for these cars. Your car looks awesome even in gel coat. And, the interior looks great with the white guages and nice layout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Congratulaions on getting it registered, clearly a nice achievement for these cars. Your car looks awesome even in gel coat. And, the interior looks great with the white guages and nice layout.
    I drove it to the body shop today to set my date to start body work & paint. I got the price down a little doing some of the easy things myself. I made the first pass at gapping the hood, doors & trunk lid. I filled in with filler the wheel well edges and put 2 coats of bed liner on the underside of the body. I filed and sanded all the body edges. I cut the hole for the scoop and mounted it to the hood. I installed all the lights, mirrors, hood & trunk latches, emblems, front & rear bumpers and windshield. The object was to test fit everything so I wouldn't have to drill any holes in my fresh paint job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Where did you find the ASE inspector?
    Firestone at 2105 W 15th St, Plano, TX 75075
    They know Cobra's and are very friendly.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

15. Thanks TexasAviator thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! I'm not too far from you in Houston and would like to know of a few shops in the area that are familiar with these cars for when my time to paint finally arrives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhhughes View Post
    Looks great! I'm not too far from you in Houston and would like to know of a few shops in the area that are familiar with these cars for when my time to paint finally arrives.
    The body shop that I am using is Auto Restoration and Collision. They are located off Hwy 6 in Copperfield. The owner is Walter Da Cruz. His number is 281-858-6410. He has painted several F4 roadsters. He does beautiful work. In my search for a body shop, most shops didn't have any experience with body & paint with fiberglass. Also, Walter knows all the problem areas on these cars. I have visited his shop a couple of times and he has several cars in different stages of work. Walter takes the time to show you around his shop and explain the process of completing the body work and paint. I fully trust him with my car and I'm sure that I will be happy with the end result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the information about the paint shop you found. I have been looking for a good shop but hadn't yet found very much in the area. I will definitely give Walter a call when my time comes for paint. Best of luck! I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product.